0 gauge micro

Flashing to be added to beer house bay windows and canopy

Maybe add some outside electricity supply cables, drapped across the fronts under the upper windows?

Sorry, only had gas lighting and black leaded grates no electricity, nice idea though.

Maybe add some outside electricity supply cables, drapped across the fronts under the upper windows?

Apart from being out of period for the layout, I can't say that that's even seen much in the Black Country, either? These days telephone wires, TV cable feeds etc do clutter up the fronts of houses, but mains power feeds? Blimey we're not that primitive around here!! :no:

Up until much of the network was closed down in the '60s, about the only dealings the Railways around here had with electricity was for telephones and cranes. Heating was with coal, & lighting with gas. An old book by Christopher Burton; "Behind the Lines", is a wonderful (& humerous) insight into the everyday workings of Black Country stations and yards in the steam era.

Edited by F-UnitMad

Apart from being out of period for the layout, I can't say that that's even seen much in the Black Country, either? These days telephone wires, TV cable feeds etc do clutter up the fronts of houses, but mains power feeds? Blimey we're not that primitive around here!! :no:

Up until much of the network was closed down in the '60s, about the only dealings the Railways around here had with electricity was for telephones and cranes. Heating was with coal, & lighting with gas. An old book by Christopher Burton; "Behind the Lines", is a wonderful (& humerous) insight into the everyday workings of Black Country stations and yards in the steam era.

That sounds like a good read!

Flashing to be added to beer house bay windows and canopy

Sorry, only had gas lighting and black leaded grates no electricity, nice idea though.

Love your modelling of the terraced houses, Mike. The little cameo scenes are great!!

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51

Now you see it, now you don't, Now you see it, now you don't etc.etc. Cage rise and fall working although it needs a compliment of miners to add weight.

post-185-0-45228700-1530544493_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-50997900-1530544523_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-91613200-1530544558_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-99453100-1530544586_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

A bit more work on the water tank, it's no longer just a tank on stilts, just needs the ladder and pull chain to finish the construction phase. The water bag is a piece of plastic tube flattened in the bench vice I think it captures the look.

post-185-0-23442300-1531498467.jpg

post-185-0-69435500-1531498479.jpg

• Like 7

Mike,

As with all your layouts this is superb. You really inspire is with limited space through your ingenuity and resourcefulness. Your attitude to modelling is so refreshing - after all this is supposed to be a hobby for enjoyment and fun!

That terrace of houses is stunning. The build, colours and weathering just look so 'right'

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

David

Mike,

As with all your layouts this is superb. You really inspire is with limited space through your ingenuity and resourcefulness. Your attitude to modelling is so refreshing - after all this is supposed to be a hobby for enjoyment and fun!

That terrace of houses is stunning. The build, colours and weathering just look so 'right'

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

David

Thank you so much for your most generous comments. I'm just a happy bodger with no particular expertise in any of the modelling disciplines, a jack of all trades but a master of none. I love this hobby which over the years has enabled me to make a lot of friends. :)

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your most generous comments. I'm just a happy bodger with no particular expertise in any of the modelling disciplines, a jack of all trades but a master of none. I love this hobby which over the years has enabled me to make a lot of friends. :)

Mike if I was half the 'jack of all trades' you are I would be content. I love the atmosphere and setting you create, it is wonderful. I'm just starting out in 7mm scale and have been given a copy of the Gauge O Guild's 'Layouts to Inspire' book and I am pouring over the wonderful photographs of Primrose Hill and Reely Grate. As the title intends (!!) it is inspirational stuff for those of us with limited space and I would love to attempt something similar in due course, although it will be nowhere near the standard of your work.

Thank you again and all the best!

David

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 1

Well the tank build phase is finished, now to slap on some paint. One more building to complete and then I can get on with the scenic work and play trains. No I can't ! I have some track to build and lay all 300 mm of it. I must admit to be struggling with an ear infection and waiting on the hospital to get back with the swab results. I keep losing my balance so my work rate has slowed.

post-185-0-82458600-1531755404.jpg

Edited by Mike
  • Like 2

Taking a break from buildings, I thought why not do a bit of scenic bodging. The map shows the location of the pit, followed by a photo of the type of area and finally a photo of the bodge as work in progress.

post-185-0-20305700-1531924304.jpg

post-185-0-87506300-1531924322.jpg

post-185-0-10122400-1531924352.jpg

• Like 6

Today is all about assembling 16 Sprat and Winkle couplings and fitting to 8 open wagons "Oh what joy". Built a coupling height gauge so they are all the same height, just need to fit the goal posts to the locos. I have laid short siding extension and started on a bit more Terra-firming, photos to follow.:)

• Like 1

Today is all about assembling 16 Sprat and Winkle couplings and fitting to 8 open wagons "Oh what joy".

16...... you have my sympathies Mike. I’m only 6 wagons in to my 8 wagon kit builds, fitting sprat & winkles, paint and weathering, for my inglenook (hence the lack of updates on the layout), and the shed is getting far too warm.

Today is all about assembling 16 Sprat and Winkle couplings and fitting to 8 open wagons "Oh what joy". Built a coupling height gauge so they are all the same height, just need to fit the goal posts to the locos. I have laid short siding extension and started on a bit more Terra-firming, photos to follow. :)

Oh what joy indeed. I did mine in batches of 2 or 3 a time. It seemed a bit less of a task that way...

Bear in mind though, that S&W's are far less fiddly than they are in 4mm scale! I did bl**dy loads of 4mm S&W's at one time - when perhaps I should have thought more about doing my wagons in rakes, as I had originally intended ;)

Also, I find they work more reliably in 7mm scale, and are easier to align and set up.

A height jig is definitely the way to set them up - you get more consistency.

BTW. I found in 7mm, that I have to put a tiny piece of lead counterweight on the "paddle" - or the chain is too heavy and tips the coupling when it isn't over a magnet - have you found this to be the case too?

The layout is looking good Mike :)

HI Mark, thanks for the comments. Having added 16 x 3 links I needed a lie down in a dark room, well not quite it was a large G&T. You are right about the paddles and I will be adding some lead weights to help as you described.  I have started and it is nowhere near finished the extra Terra-forming, the siding extension is from some flat bottomed rail which will be almost overgrown with just the rail tops showing and as no loco's will run on this will be un-powered. Static grass still to be added.

post-185-0-76079900-1532514959_thumb.jpg 

• Like 5