Silver Fox models

Dogmatix

Hi there,

I got both of mine RTR through Martin at Modelfair - whos always very helpful and prompt when posting!

My class 22 is on a Bachmann class 20 chassis and so runs excellently and my class 129 parcels unit is on a modified Hornby DMU chassis - needed running in but otherwise very good indeed. Paintwork and numbering on both is faultless but i suppose a detail fanatic could argue the body details are, perhaps a bit "flat", same with the bogies on the 22 - which has only disk wheels! However, they are/were models that were never expected to be available RTR and certainly far better finished than i could do, thats for sure!

I have in my possession a much older class 22 on an old (ringfield powered) Hornby chassis which i have to put a Bachmann chassis under, the newer class 22 is MUCH better!

I have worked on one of their SR 10203 by giving it a new chassis and had to compare it with the drawing in the OPC book of BR diesel locos, i found it to be a very accurate portrayal of the original.

HTH,

John E.

PS no doupt the forthcoming Dapol model of the class 22 will knock spots off the Silver Fox model but the RTR prices are not going to be that different and one is mass produced in China, the other is very low volume production in the UK - i prefer to support the full UK production, thanks!

I've built the D600 and Class 22 in the past with good results. Currently I'm working on DP2 which is a very nice body moulding, I'm just taking it a bit further by opening out the headcode boxes and engine room windows and flush glazing them. Also got 10203 and Lion in various stages of completion, both of these are nice castings too.

Over the past few years I have purchased Falcon (x 2), Kestrel, Lion, 10000, 10001, 10203 and two Class 22's, which John has customised for me by putting on the running numbers of my choice, and I will probably look at his Class 28 Metrovick's soon. I have purchased all of my requirements from him in RTR fully finished form and have been very satisfied and impressed by the finish and running of Silver Fox products, well up to factory finished standards of the major manufacturers.

I've puchased 2x class 22's, a class 41, Kestrel, Lion, DP2. Obviosly now the models are being replaced by RTR versions from Heljan et-al, but they are still good models in their own right. On the downside, Lion, Kestrel and the D600 are on Lima chassis, but the class 22's and DP2 were supplied on Bachmann chassis and run very well. The addition of wire handrails, windscreen wipers and buffer beam detail would crtainly lift the model's appearance, but who wants to risk ruining a nice paint job?;)

• 4 weeks later...

I have just recently purchased 2 models from John, a class 28 co -bo and a class77 both in Br blue. I bought them RTR and chipped. I have to say the finish is excellent both run smoothly and quietly. Excellent customer service and would happily buy again in the future from silver fox --- after my credit card has recovered!

• RMweb Gold

I have just recently purchased 2 models from John, a class 28 co -bo and a class77 both in Br blue. I bought them RTR and chipped. I have to say the finish is excellent both run smoothly and quietly. Excellent customer service and would happily buy again in the future from silver fox --- after my credit card has recovered!

I am interested in the 28 Metro Vic - any idea what chassis it runs on?

Many thanks,

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, forgot to mention I have "built" their class 22, using an old Hornby class 29 chassis. As I recall, the chassis needed major modifications - shortened by several mm - necessary to make two cuts to ensure everything stays aligned. You also need to graft new sides onto the bogies.

Came complete with cab glazing, after I had added windscreen wipers, handrails and buffer beam detail it looked pretty good. Now doing regular trips on my Father's Wadebridge layout.

I only had two disappointments:

1. Body side windows are solid and can be cut out (by the brave) and glazed. Or just painted gloss black (by the faint hearted: i.e. me! :( ).

2. My paintjob - which would have been avoided by buying ready to run, but my credit card couldn't take another beating! :blink:

Good luck!

Steve

Anybody know anything about the class 89 kit ?.

I know it uses either the Hornby or Lima class 92 running gear, but thats all.

I'm pretty certain it's the same as the DC kits loco, which is engineered for Lima bogies to fit. However, it is possible to use a Bachmann class 37 chassis instead. Some of the body details could do with replacing or improving, but on the whole it makes a nice model.

• RMweb Premium

I obtained a model of 10001 in black livery from them at Warley a couple of years ago. A very nice model which runs beautifully on a Bachmann chassis. She really looks the part atop a rake of blood and custard carriages on our Dorset-based layout.

post-6831-127335134174.jpeg

post-6831-127335143346.jpeg

Next up, one of the Southern triplets, probably 10202...smile.gif

Very well recommended...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a fully-finished Bulleid 10203 in lined green. Unfortunately, it is mounted on a Lima chassis but I believe that Silver Fox now use a Bachmann chassis which should be much better. I agree that the body shape appears very accurate and the finish is excellent, although they do not seem to have varnished the finished model and some of the lining has come off.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I have a fully-finished Bulleid 10203 in lined green. Unfortunately, it is mounted on a Lima chassis but I believe that Silver Fox now use a Bachmann chassis which should be much better. I agree that the body shape appears very accurate and the finish is excellent, although they do not seem to have varnished the finished model and some of the lining has come off.

Dave

Dave

I have noticed when weathering Silver Fox R-T-R models for others that along with not varnishing the models they tend to only be a quite thin single top coat applied directly to the resin with no primer having been used.

For example the cream stripe down the side of the D6xx Warship belonging to a freind was actually just the bare resin.

Care needs to be taken with handling and if weathering using thin washes as the paint finish can be affected owing to it tending to be on the thin side.

• 1 month later...

I have dealt with John direct and purchased a Derby Lightweight unit which was excellent. Can only endorse the other comments made about his Customer Service. Top Notch.

Regards.

The Silverfox Derby Lightweight uses as a basis the DC Kits Derby Lightweight Kit so it should be good! They also use the DC Kits MLV, Class 76, Class 81, Class 85, Class 74, Class 71, Class 128, Class 129 & SR Class 419/MLV.

As a matter of interest this Derby Lightweight kit is available at £15.00 + postage from DC Kits.

• 9 months later...

Archived