24.5 Ton Mineral Wagons NEW TOOLING Due Late 2019

tmc

I don't think it's a loco this time round.

My guess is a NER clerestory push-pull coach, one of which is being restored at Embsay, to accompany the G5.

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=909  (source: Vintage Carriages Trust database)

I hope it is some pushpull coaches to go with the G5 not not my region I just have a soft spot for pre-grouping coaches. But if I’m being selfish an SECR D class to accompany the C, H & P classes. But what ever it is it’ll be a strong seller.

Big james

I’m not going to guess. The guesses made so far range from plausible to wishes with everything in between. I’m not knocking the wishes; there are many items mentioned which I wish for too. The two guesses above may not be right but they are IMHO much the most sensible choices. We have had a flood of pre-grouping locomotives and a shortage of rolling stock to go with them. These coaches would be an example of good thinking which the market leaders would do well to follow.

(Honourable mention of the Wainwright D suggestion – working in the opposite direction, a locomotive to match some of the scarce rolling stock which has been produced.)

• Like 1

The pre-08 shunter LMS style, I can't remember the TOPS code? 12134 & 12136 were allocated to Cambridge.

Stewart

I don't think anyone's made a bid on the true predecessors of the 08s - after the class 11 - the Bulleid version that became class 12 : not much different from an 08 apart from the cab roof and the wheels, of course. ( The earlier Maunsell version would be nice - or any of the other Hawthorn Leslie style - but they were all in very small numbers )

..... anyway the prize SHOULD go to whoever first mentioned a decent 20/21T mineral wagon - even if its the old half-decent Airfix body on a proper chassis with see-through brake lever !!!!?!

I don't think anyone's made a bid on the true predecessors of the 08s - after the class 11 - the Bulleid version that became class 12 : not much different from an 08 apart from the cab roof and the wheels, of course. ( The earlier Maunsell version would be nice - or any of the other Hawthorn Leslie style - but they were all in very small numbers )

..... anyway the prize SHOULD go to whoever first mentioned a decent 20/21T mineral wagon - even if its the old half-decent Airfix body on a proper chassis with see-through brake lever !!!!?!

I love diesels. It’s just that I love steam more. We have had lots of small and cute steamers of late. It would be wonderful if some nice manufacturer or commissioner would start producing some of the early diesel shunters. What a fascinating lot they are!

http://www.trainweb.org/railphot/0855-26w.jpg

You must have slept through your alarm Clock.

If you do facebook & and can fight your way through a thonging crowd...

https://www.facebook.com/themodelcentre/

Nope, nothing wrong with my Alarm Clock ;)

The original post doesn't mention looking on a Facebook page ... It does mention the Live unveiling at the show, with website and Newsletter at 10am and I would have thought on here too as they set up the OP.

But hey ho, maybe we'll get some sort of RMWeb Delay-repay :)

Meld

Yep, as Scottish Exile says a 24.5T steel mineral with 8 versions planned on their display in the FB video.

The MEO. Good popular choice of an historical model I should think, and one that was usually in block trains until 1982 http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralmeo

Full number series and drawings published in Bartlett, P., Larkin, D., Mann, T., Silsbury, R., and Ward, A. (1985) An illustrated history of BR wagons, Volume 1 published by Oxford Publishing Company, 192 pages.

Apart from a video on FB (which I couldn't find as a non user) is there anywhere else that shows the range they are doing?  Now found it https://www.facebook.com/themodelcentre/videos/vb.200795496660895/1876252599115168/?type=2&theater

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

The MEO. Good popular choice of an historical model I should think, and one that was usually in block trains until 1982 http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralmeo

Full number series and drawings published in Bartlett, P., Larkin, D., Mann, T., Silsbury, R., and Ward, A. (1985) An illustrated history of BR wagons, Volume 1 published by Oxford Publishing Company, 192 pages.

Apart from a video on FB (which I couldn't find as a non user) is there anywhere else that shows the range they are doing?  Now found it https://www.facebook.com/themodelcentre/videos/vb.200795496660895/1876252599115168/?type=2&theater

Paul

Not so common in the West Midlands from memory Paul, which is why I went with the MDx - a more widespread type.

Not to worry - still Roger Chivers excellent kits 

Not so common in the West Midlands from memory Paul, which is why I went with the MDx - a more widespread type.

I'm genuinely surprised by this comment, as I've always associated MDx with South Wales, but that may be a late transfer.

In Larkin, David (2007) Wagons of the middle British Railways Era. A pictorial study of the 1955 - 1961 period. Pub by Kestrel Railway books. ISBN 978 0 905505-06-7 viii+88pp David gives some of the allocations of the 241/2t upto 282294 and they appear widely spread. I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable to know what collieries and power stations (and the like) were in WM. However he shows they were widely spread in the Midlands and Scotland.

Paul

The Min 24s were not that common in South Wales- they were too tall for many colliery screens. One flow they were used for was from Brynlliw (near Gorseinon) to Carmarthen Bay Power Station; Brynlliw used a couple of large tractor-shovels to load them. My recollection of watching trainloads pass was that they almost all carried 'Load to' or 'Empty to' brandings, but none were for the working they were on.

• RMweb Gold

I'm genuinely surprised by this comment, as I've always associated MDx with South Wales, but that may be a late transfer.

In Larkin, David (2007) Wagons of the middle British Railways Era. A pictorial study of the 1955 - 1961 period. Pub by Kestrel Railway books. ISBN 978 0 905505-06-7 viii+88pp David gives some of the allocations of the 241/2t upto 282294 and they appear widely spread. I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable to know what collieries and power stations (and the like) were in WM. However he shows they were widely spread in the Midlands and Scotland.

Paul

Quite a lot of the power stations in the West Midlands were not able to deal with large bodied wagons. The only one I can remember was Hams Hall which had 24.5T wagons from some East Midlands pits. Most of the other traffic seemed to be 16T minerals, but there were also some 21T Tipplers which I think worked into Nechells via the Tame & Rea Sidings at Washwood Heath