Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Direct Train Spares

Blackeunos

Hi All,

Being new to the hobby and to web dealers I wondered if anyone has had any dealings with Direct Train Spares at Burnley? I ordered some DCC sockets almost a fortnight ago and despite Phoning I have not had them. I spoke last Saturday to be told "in the Post" I have thought I would leave until Monday and then log a case with Paypal.

The purpose of this note is really to see if I am just unlucky or are they a bad dealer?

I suppose I am just spoiled by Track Shack and Hattons who dispatch so rapidly.

Over to you guys.

Edited by Blackeunos

• RMweb Gold

I've never heard of them, which doesn't bode well, so I've heard of most

I haven't used for mail order but they are regulars at shows around the north. Last saw them at Macclesfield a few days ago.

Edit name is Direct Train Spares if you are referring to the people I think you are.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

Had a look at the website. Its a long time since I bought from someone  in Burnley but I do remember it was a better site than that. It does seem to be the same company as the rolling road is the same as the one I got.

I found the box and it is the same web address. So I received my items.

• RMweb Gold

Their website says they only post on Monday and Friday. Given that Burnley was almost cut off by snowdrifts for several days and the state of the post in the northwest for over a week during the bad weather it's probably still travelling. I heard yesterday that a greetings card posted in the area 10 days ago had just been delivered in Bedford.

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments which I do take on board and yes my mistake it is direct train spares not supplies, however the reason I was adding this note was simply that shops should not send emails saying goods are dispatched when they aren't. The email was sent the Tuesday after ordering and when I hadn't received by Saturday I spoke to Ian Pembeton (the owner) who told me that no he hadn't dispatched because he had been ill and not been out and that now had posted on his way to Macclesfield.

When it gets to this stage you don't know whether to believe or not. However it certainly means I would not order from him again.

I have bought off him at the Wigan show and when I didn't know what I was buying he did give me advice which reduced what he sold me by half.

So I think this is more likely an honest mistake than a deliberate one but you are correct you not should say something is in the post when it isn't.

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments which I do take on board and yes my mistake it is direct train spares not supplies, however the reason I was adding this note was simply that shops should not send emails saying goods are dispatched when they aren't.

Some pc systems log an item as being dispatched when the postage label is printed. I would not read too much into auto generated emailed messages and believe what he has told you. As it states on the web site "We are a small family run business" and if the main person running has been unwell there will be a delay.

• RMweb Premium

And your point is ??

He needs to get out more.......  :jester:   I'm quite sure that I've never heard of numerous traders across the southern exhibition circuit.

As said above, they are regulars across the northern exhibition scene and I've bought numerous items from him at exhibitions with no problems whatsoever.

Cheers,

Mick

Guest teacupteacup

Bought from them many times both mail order and at shows, very helpful which ensures my repeat business 

I don't know what ever happened to patience. I wouldn't even consider chasing up an order until well after the usual 28 days.

You've got to remember that most outlets are small one man bands not multinational corporations. Even Hattons have dozens of people working for them so can get orders dispatched reasonably quickly. But sometimes even that goes wrong like the recent "stocktake" problems.

Anyway. Isn't this Model Spares of Burnley under a different name? If so, they were a very good company and I wouldn't hesitant to use them.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

I've never heard of them, which doesn't bode well, so I've heard of most

A conversation from a few years sago:

1.  Nakamichi Dragon is supposed to be the best tape desk available

2.  I've never heard of Nakamichi so they must be rubbish.

1.  You've heard of Goodmans, that doesn't meant they are any good.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

• RMweb Gold

A conversation from a few years sago:

1.  Nakamichi Dragon is supposed to be the best tape desk available

2.  I've never heard of Nakamichi so they must be rubbish.

1.  You've heard of Goodmans, that doesn't meant they are any good.

Ooh - Nakamichi! I had - still have - a CR3E, but the Dragon was three times the price!

• RMweb Premium

Anyway. Isn't this Model Spares of Burnley under a different name? If so, they were a very good company and I wouldn't hesitant to use them.

Jason

No - a very different setup.

Direct Train Spares primarily sells electrical/electronic bits.

Modelspares was mainly spare parts for Hornby etc. Used to be run by Barry ? who had Model Rail at Duke Bar between Burnley and Nelson. He used to go to Hornby at Margate with his car and trailer and load it with as much as he could carry! It all changed when Hornby moved production to China and didn't have the same spares pool.

He sold the shop and moved to Ullapool, but eventually returned to Hapton - between Burnley and Accrington. I called in there a couple of times and remember he had piles of Networker bodies......

Cheers,

Mick

Just a quick update to say despite no replies to phone or emails from Ian Pemberton a message from Paypal to say my payment has been refunded. So good outcome in the end, however 0 for customer service, all it takes is a quick email to say sorry for the issues.