The Woodhead Route

Ramrig

Hello Everyone :sungum:

Just to let everyone know that if anyone is on facebook a group of us have started a tribute page to Sheffield Victoria Station , we have over 200 pictures of before and after closure of the Station on the 5th Jan 1970.

We are always on the lookout for more pictures to put on our site, so if you have any of Sheffield Victoria we would love to have them.

Please include your name and date of the picture/s so you can be given full credit for them, our e-mail address is sheffield.victoria.station@gmail.com

Our facebook page is www.facebook.com/sheffieldvictoriastation

For anyone who is not on Facebook but travelled on the station, the Sheffield Forum have a post where you can leave comments of your memorys, and its free to join http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9250409

Thanks Everyone :friends:

SVS Admin Team

• 1 year later...

IIRC one of the reasons the original tunnels were not used in 1954 was that they were 'lined' with a solid foot of soot, which needed removing and disposing. So that's a challenge for a start. I suppose they could be used as 'pilot holes' for two newer and bigger bores in roughly the same place. 

• RMweb Premium

IIRC one of the reasons the original tunnels were not used in 1954 was that they were 'lined' with a solid foot of soot, which needed removing and disposing. So that's a challenge for a start. I suppose they could be used as 'pilot holes' for two newer and bigger bores in roughly the same place. 

The soot in the one that was used for the cables was sorted.  They jetted it off and used it as aggregate to form the concrete floor which needed to be a foot deep as it had a channel formed in it for the water that cooled the cables.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

This thread deserves a revival. I noticed there aren't too many images of EM2's in the thread. I know these where sold to us in the early 70's, but before that they'd surely be immortalised on film by someone? ;)

Re-opening of the Woodhead route would see 25kV (if electrified at all) but I do think the old tunnels would be used instead of the newer bore. Mind, in safety-land the current consensus is that single-line tunnels are safer then a double track one. The old tunnels would require opening up (larger diameter) and a new service tunnel build in between, but that would still be cheaper then either refitting the new tunnel with modern safety stuff (and possible operational limitations later), which would require a new emergency tunnel anyway or a completely new tunnel to modern safety spec's. (actually 3 new tunnels, to comply with modern safety standards)

Without wanting to be personal - you are greatly mistaken with regard to modern tunnels.

Firstly there is absolutely no requirement for any sort of "service tunnel" - the HS1 tunnels under the Thanes and through east / north London being just two examples of twin single line bores with nothing else. What you do need are emergency walkways within the tubes and emergency access shafts at reasonable distances if the tunnel is over a certain length but these can usually take advantage of the necessary ventallarion shafts in any case.

Secondly, there is no rules preventing the construction of double track bores - as shown by the North Downs tunnel in Kent and the examples constructed for the high speed lines in France, Spain, etc. moreover the safety requirements are no different from single bore tunnels as regards walkways and evacuation points.

The biggest reason for needing a service tunnel as well as two running tunnels under the channel simply stems from the fact that it is clearly impossible to build emergency evacuation shafts every 3 miles when the tunnel passes under 21 miles of water! - hence the construction of a service tunnel. While there are some similarities when it comes to alpine tunnels ( i.e. being several miles below the surface and the difficulties of exiting onto a snowy mountainside) the terrain over Woodhead doesn't come close.

Therefore if you examine the options in detail, digging a brand new tunnel on a new alignment, with modern boring technology is allways going to be cheaper overall than messing about with the Victorian ones (either for trains or new cables).

And the good thing about Woodhead is that is has two lovely empty access routes to bring in materials and take rock out.

But first there would need to be an actual business case to justify the expense especially when there will be at least two electrified routes across the Pennines in the next few years.

With two of the three transPennine routes to be wired, I reach the sad conclusion the Woodhead business case is a non- starter, so I must survive on memories.

The third route L & Y via Hebden Bridge has seen 60% growth in passengers in the last seven years,  an electrification  campaign group has arisen, and with an proven team of contractors in place,   I can forsee the green light for the wiring.

As a final thought,  what are the business cases for Manchester to Glossop, and also Sheffield to Deepcar to both become light rail tramways? 

The new bus Stagecoach service serving the eastern end of the Woodhead route

http://www.supertram.com/latestfromsupertram_3356.html

Edited by Pandora

• RMweb Gold

As a final thought,  what are the business cases for Manchester to Glossop, and also Sheffield to Deepcar to both become light rail tramways? 

The new bus Stagecoach service serving the eastern end of the Woodhead route

http://www.supertram.com/latestfromsupertram_3356.html

The Glossop/Dinting/Hadfield triangle is reputed to be the third biggest rail passenger journey generator in Derbyshire, after Derby and Chestefield.

• RMweb Premium

The overhead equipment, including the feeder stations for 25kV for Manchester - Glossop route, when will it be due for replacement?

How many years left in the rolling stock before they will be replaced?

I suspect that as the overhead is mostly the original DC stuff IIRC with new insulators it will virtually last for ever and switchgear tends to be very long lived.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

A scary thought for me personally is that I went through it when it was almost new. One of my very earliest memories is Dad taking me down the platform at Sheffield (Victoria) to watch the engine change. Sadly I have no idea what came on the train but I suspect a B1. We were on our way to Brigg, for a holiday with relatives in Nettleton. Great Uncle Norman Cross was an ex GC driver who ran the pub there!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The next few shots up to Woodhead tunnel.

The first shot we caught up with the track lifting train/gang near Valehouse.

attachicon.gifTrack lifting train near Valehouse 8-87.jpg

Next stop Torside crossing. The signal box and all the OHL gantries had already gone. Charlies then "Chariot" is parked across the crossing. (He dosen't park a vehicle, just abandons it!!wink.gif )

attachicon.gifTorside Crossing 8-87.jpg

We then visited the site of the former station at Crowden (No Pics) before moving on to Woodhead Tunnel. At an earlier visit the track and Gantries were still in place

attachicon.gifwoodhead tunnel with track..jpg

On this visit though the track recovery gang had done there business and also the team removing the OHL gantries.

attachicon.gifwoodhead tunnel 8-87.jpg

I have a comparison shot taken at Woodhead in 2005 ish. I will look it out and post it.

To be continued the other side of the tunnel..........................

Just realised it is 4 years since I started this thread  :O . I really must keep my promise and scan the rest of the images from Dunford Bridge to Sheffield and Wath. I also have all of the Dutch 150 Railtour photos from 1989 if anyone is interested in those as well?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

OK. Following on from post 10. Images from August 1987.

.......................... As we emerge out of the tunnel at Dunford Bridge

post-7289-0-63702000-1403737764_thumb.jpg

The drains are already broken and the track bed is starting to flood after the demolition men have done there duty.

Close to the track circuit cabin near the tunnel mouth.

post-7289-0-06099000-1403738478_thumb.jpg

Approach to Dunford  Bridge station

post-7289-0-23830400-1403738108_thumb.jpg

The remains of the Station and Signal box

post-7289-0-71683800-1403738147_thumb.jpg

On a later visit (unsure of date) the area flooded and the tunnel mouth was also now fenced off.

post-7289-0-99162700-1403738223_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-69351500-1403738255_thumb.jpg

After a pause at Dunford Bridge we will move along the line to Penistone...................................

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Green Light........................

Next stop I believe is the site of the former bridge over the A628 at Bullhouse. The bridge was soon removed once the track was lifted.

post-7289-0-27899600-1403738906_thumb.jpg

Next Penistone Goods Yard. I always thought the MSW was overhead not 3rd rail!!!!  :jester:

post-7289-0-26404800-1403738938_thumb.jpg

As we approach Penistone Station the track lifters shunter is parked in the platform. (did not record the number, anyone any idea?)

post-7289-0-16400400-1403739027_thumb.jpg

At the time Track and gantries were still in place at Penistone station.

post-7289-0-94672600-1403739106_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-41339100-1403739138_thumb.jpg

A few weeks later the Gantries were being cut down

post-7289-0-41038300-1403739187_thumb.jpg

A pause at the station before moving off towards Barnsley Junction

post-7289-0-83956600-1403739246_thumb.jpg

Barnsley Junction. Charlies "Chariot" is parked on the site of the former sidings. I believe this area is now built upon with housing looking at google maps. The old Sub-station was also still standing at the time.

post-7289-0-80893200-1403739336_thumb.jpg

Next time we move onwards to Sheffield Vic and Rotherwood Sidings .............................. (it won't take 4 years this time Promise)

• Like 10