The Woodhead Route

Ramrig

• RMweb Gold

To go one further in the randomness catagory, please take a look at http://colinpbrooks..../p51676213.html

Never knew this happened but by all accounts it did!

Mike

Route and timings are shown on http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/, go to the Railtours pages and look at 1986. It is also pictured at Altrincham.

• 3 weeks later...

Picture appears to be set alongside Woodhead Reservoir, about a mile and a half west of Woodhead Tunnel. Co-ordinates approx 53°29'30.46"N 1°51'58.07"W

Agree! Thanks to you and Google Maps. Torside Reservoir is slightly further west than Woodhead.

Thanks again,

Chris.

Between Torside and Woodhead next to the reservoir the trackbed does get very close but I'm not sure if that's recent because there have been encroachments onto the permanent way with adjustments to the banks of the reservoirs.

I'll dig out my books and see if I can get something that confirms the picture.

• RMweb Gold

Crowden Station was like that right next to the reservoir, I think the artistic licence involved removing the station from the picture.

Here's a link to how it looks today:

http://www.flickr.co...mes/3164597960/

http://derbyshirehol...p.yolasite.com/ (bottom of page)

Crowden station is about half a mile west of the poster site. It is behind the hill roughly in line with where the wall above the locos crosses it.

If you use the co-ords I gave in post #133 above on Google Earth the sites of the OLE masts by the reservoir wall can be picked out.

• RMweb Gold

Two pictures taken this afternoon. One shows the base of the nearest OLE structure on the poster. The other shows the view towards Crowden taken from the site of the second structure.

There has been a bit of artistic licence as the depth of field has been compressed like a telephoto shot, and some details have been left out or compressed to reduce the width and increase the dramatic effect.

post-9767-0-59672700-1297188533_thumb.jpg

post-9767-0-25638800-1297188562_thumb.jpg

The Rother-Don Rambler crossing the Wicker Arch by the remains of Sheffield Victoria station, 29 Jan 11 (a couple of hours ago).

Appropriately enough for a visit to a steelworks, the loco was in Tata livery.

post-6971-0-75731200-1296318434_thumb.jpg

I believe this cavalcade came past the back of the Don Valley Stadium at around 4.40pm, just as I was leaving the stadium after suffering another Stockport County hammering (4-0 this time). Were there a couple of 31s tied to the back?

• RMweb Gold

So they have cleared back some of the plant growth, last time I was cycling up there it was getting difficult to see a flat path. If it's been cleared again I might get the bikes up there at Easter.

Cycled from Rhodeswood to Woodhead today, the path was in good condition considering the weather over the weekend. The worst bit was alongside the cabling works in the cutting just west of Woodhead station

The vegetation is not too bad at the moment. The Sustrans Volunteer Rangers do several days each year cutting back to try to keep it under control.

Good article & photos about Mottram Yard & Dinting area in Feb 2011 issue of British Railways Illustrated, It is part 11 of a series about "Britains new railway" - The woodhead route.

Will we see it revived one day ?

Brit15

Only as long as Hadfield and Dinting remains heavy rail, if it ever goes over to Metrolink I think it would be game over.

Add in EU regulations regarding tunnel escape paths, ventilation in the tunnel if not electric and re-routing the National Grid power cables back into the other tunnels and costs mount quickly. Electrification of Leeds to Stalybridge/Guide Bridge and other capacity improvements on the Standedge route may be cheaper.

referring back to post 130 on page 6...

I believe this cavalcade came past the back of the Don Valley Stadium at around 4.40pm, just as I was leaving the stadium after suffering another Stockport County hammering (4-0 this time). Were there a couple of 31s tied to the back?

There were a couple of 31s on the "Manchester" end, yes, and it was due to go into the remains of Tinsley yard to drop the 60 off then head south.

So that was the reason for the traffic snarl-ups around Don Valley earlier on.

Enough of that for now, more 76s please!

Manchester Picc to Hadfield/Glossop turned into a Tramway, would that save a great sum of money in reduced operating costs?

I don't know about the operating economics, but the journey times would likely increase and the fares would rise very sharply as Metrolink is pricey compared to GMPTE-specified rail.

Manchester Picc to Hadfield/Glossop turned into a Tramway, would that save a great sum of money in reduced operating costs?

I've been looking around for evidence of what savings accrue from light rail and there is nothing definitive especially when you get into outer suburban routes, but then if you look at Metrolink, that is what is being developed. The Ashton route follows the line from Manchester to Guide Bridge as far as Audenshaw, some might argue it links better to population and developments than Ashburys, Gorton and Fairfield heavy rail stations. It wouldn't take a lot of money to provide a link from Audenshaw to Guide Bridge and there is plenty of space for a Metrolink line alongside the heavy rail from there as far as Hyde. That might allow Network Rail to close or seriously reduce stopping services between Guide Bridge and Piccadilly in lieu of 4 tracking (again!!) to improve capacity making the trade off in cost be about improving the inter city journeys. Would also release a couple of 320 EMUs for use elsewhere and improve capacity in Piccadilly station.

I'm not arguing in favour by the way just trying to look at it from a neutral standpoint.

I don't know about the operating economics, but the journey times would likely increase and the fares would rise very sharply as Metrolink is pricey compared to GMPTE-specified rail.

Hasn't stopped them doing the Oldham line which will be similarly impacted.