Bachmann 2 EPB

Summer_Saturday

Hi,

They look very good, do we know if it has a power bogie like the 4-CEP or a power coach like the 150?

But it looks like the Southeast Steam Railway will be getting another preserved EMU!

Simon

There is a good chance they will have exactly the same motor bogie as the 4CEP units. I can't see Bachmann designing and producing another type when the one they have already got has proved itself, especially as it only has to propel a two-car unit this time.

• RMweb Premium

And any incursion of the motor unit into the passenger saloon can be covered up with standing passengers :laughclear: Unless you are modelling Addiscombe or the Bromley North branch off-peak :laugh_mini2:

These images look absolutley beautiful. Cannot wait to see one in the flesh. I am hoping that Bachmann gets that milky interior lighting correct. will look fab standing in my soon to be constructed carriage shed. Well done Bachmann.

Have no idea how they will cope with the route indicator boxes as there is no corridor to unplug as on the Branchline 4 CEP, so i am expecting the indicators to be fixed as supplied. I cannot see a practical way around it.

Looking at the underfram details and overall pictures, i have to say that it bodes very well for the forthcoming Bachmann/Kernow Thumper. perhaps justifying Kernows move. We are being spoiled down here in the south at the moment. After years of neglect, with the exception of countless Hornby Kettles that are not my thing really, it has certainly been worth the wait! Great Stuff!

• RMweb Premium

I can see "South Pimlico" hosting a couple before the closure notice is posted.....

(Jumping ahead a bit here) - interestingly enough, a 2HAP may be a possible future model once Bachmann have released their Thumper unit.

• RMweb Gold

Just been to the DEMU show at Bretby where there was a pre-production model of the 2-EPB on the Bachmann stand which I was able to examine close up. The motor coach has the same power bogie as the 4-CEP, which unfortunately occupies not only the luggage compartment but also the first two passenger seating bays. Looked quite obtrusive as it was still in aluminuim colour but once painted black will not be quite so bad. Nevertheless I do wonder why such a powerful, and heavily weighted, motor bogie is necessary for a 2-coach EMU. For example, my 4-CEP motor coach will easily pull the remaining 3 coaches of the set plus 4 others uphill at 1-in-70. Seems to me a clear case of needing some unpowered sets to form longer trains.

The coupling bar between the two coaches is the same as the 4-CEP, plus there's a nice brass sprung buffer for the centre one.

The lighting appears to have one LED per compartment, so will be much more consistent than the 4-CEP. But it might look odd with the two bays of the motor coach still blacked out.

Looks an excellent model apart from the reservations on the over-engineered motor bogie.

• RMweb Premium

Glad to hear it looks good. Following the CEP I wouldn't have expected anything less.

With regard to the motor bogie perhaps someone told Bachmann that the SR adopted the ratio of one motor to one trailer at the time those units were built. ;) It does seem a little power-heavy given that there is a perfectly good unit available in the class 108 which powers a 3-car unit very happily. But then we are talking the same manufacturer who has come up with the full-coach motor in the Voyager which also seems over-engineered in that respect.

With regard to the motor bogie perhaps someone told Bachmann that the SR adopted the ratio of one motor to one trailer at the time those units were built. wink.gif It does seem a little power-heavy given that there is a perfectly good unit available in the class 108 which powers a 3-car unit very happily. But then we are talking the same manufacturer who has come up with the full-coach motor in the Voyager which also seems over-engineered in that respect.

Er, isn't the CEP power bogie essentially the same one that's in the 108 though which is what we have here with the EPB?

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the pictures of the 108 on the Hatton's web-site, it seems to me that it has the same power bogie. The problem with the 2-EPB is that it has a small luggage compartment which results in two of the seating bays being invaded. However, this power unit will probably look great on the forthcoming 205 Thumper unit as that has an engine room big enough to accomodate it.

Perhaps, if Bachmann do provide unpowered trailer units, some enterprising modellers might buy these instead and power them with something like a Black Beetle motor bogie.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Bachmann are making the same mistake on this model as with the 4CEP: not close coupling cam arrangements on the outer ends, so you cannot couple units together without unsightly gaps.

Another subject:

so far, no unpowered 2EPB has been announced, nor has a 4EPB. Who is going to wait for those before getting a trainful of (powered) 2EPBs?

Solution: the baying crowd of SR EMU modellers on ebay after any unwanted power bogies if you were going to de-power a 2 car unit.

Also the blacked-out compartments are where school kids had unscrewed the bulbs and erm... lost them.

Looks like Bachmann are making the same mistake on this model as with the 4CEP: not close coupling cam arrangements on the outer ends, so you cannot couple units together without unsightly gaps.

Another subject:

so far, no unpowered 2EPB has been announced, nor has a 4EPB. Who is going to wait for those before getting a trainful of (powered) 2EPBs?

Is it a mistake? I like the idea of sorting my own arrangements at the unit ends, and most train set folks won't be too worried by a gap

Solution: the baying crowd of SR EMU modellers on ebay after any unwanted power bogies if you were going to de-power a 2 car unit.

Is there a market for 4CEP power cars?

Also the blacked-out compartments are where school kids had unscrewed the bulbs and erm... lost them.

:lol::lol:

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I've just seen on the Bachy site that whilst the green and blue/grey versions are still showing as December/January for release,

the all-over blue version is showing as having moved to February/March next year!

Do any of the good people on RMweb know why?

At least there's a bit longer for collecting the pennies :D !!

Rob

• RMweb Premium

( Any news on any "commissioned" green with small yellow panels version ? )

I'm beginning to wonder if Bachmann has something against small yellow panels on BR green. Not only is this livery missing from the first batch of 2-EPBs, but also from the first batch of Class 205s commissioned by Kernow MRC. The Class 108 DMU also saw whiskers on green before SYP appeared, and we've seen two or more Class 40s with headcode disks in plain green but no SYP. If there were both plain green and SYP on green versions of the prototype, plain green always seems to prevail. I know it's easier to paint on the yellow than remove it, but just sometimes I would like it done for me.

• RMweb Premium
I'm beginning to wonder if Bachmann has something against small yellow panels on BR green. Not only is this livery missing from the first batch of 2-EPBs, but also from the first batch of Class 205s commissioned by Kernow MRC.

Green SYP Thumper has always been on the list. One end has a plain yellow panel and the other the inverted black triangle to indicate the presence of the brake van. The same was found on 2EPB units.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/27288/K2004_Bachmann_Class_205_2H_Thumper_Unit_number_1121

Whilst not in the first batch expected to arrive you might reasonably expect that all seven variants could not or would not be produced and shipped at the same time.

• RMweb Premium

Green SYP Thumper has always been on the list. One end has a plain yellow panel and the other the inverted black triangle to indicate the presence of the brake van. The same was found on 2EPB units.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/27288/K2004_Bachmann_Class_205_2H_Thumper_Unit_number_1121

Whilst not in the first batch expected to arrive you might reasonably expect that all seven variants could not or would not be produced and shipped at the same time.

I agree, but I think you have missed my point. It is the fact that they are not in the first batch (as always seems to be the case with SYP on green) that I was commenting on.

• RMweb Premium

Nothing yet but they do say the site is under construction. There are still large gaps and blank pages. Can't fault the weathering quality however so a green syp 2EPB might have to be acquired.

• RMweb Premium

I'm hoping for a cheaper standard release model! ;)

Oddly enough so am I! Mind you I think Bachmann are a bit wary of NSE livery at the moment, they released their 108 DMU in it (lovely model, take note Hornby, this is how you do NSE livery) but they still seem to be cluttering box shifter's shelves at reduced prices so maybe that is why it does not feature in the initial batch of EPB's.

There is always the paint your own option of course... :D

Archived