Bachmann 2 EPB

Summer_Saturday

Hello Adrian

What a truly delightful model. Despite my unswerving preference for kettles, I would find a pre-nationalisation equivalent (2NOL, 2BIL, 4COR) irresistible.

PB

I totally agree, don't forget the 2HAL. Also, does anyone know if the Bachmann 2EPB can be converted to P4 ?

That picture is very good. Time to order....

The picture does show the dilemma about the position of the third rail and the collector shoe beam when a 1:76 scale model is running on 1:87 scale track. Should the rail be in the correct H0 position and not line up with the collector shoe beam, or in the correct 00 position and be optically too far from the running rail?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments about our 2epb. There is a slight bleed on the yellow printing which will be sharpened up on the production models. However I think your comments on the number size are valid and this has now been corrected.

A supplier who listens! These people deserve to make money! Brilliant!

• RMweb Premium

Indeed Ian. They shall have some of my money in due course even though I have no plans for a juice rail on the layout. However there is a long-term hope that a future project will not only incorporate such but will use it for power pick-up via copper-clad shoes as well. Now there's a challenge! And with a green V-livery thumper working the branch. :yahoo_mini:

• RMweb Gold

2-EPBs do represent minimalist third rail modelling, and as such have a lot of appeal for the spacially-challenged, I hope. Wimbledon-West Croydon and the Sarf Londons are the classic all-day uses (even if the former service packed up at 2000!) but the Addiscombe and Bromley North "Poppers" in the off-peak were home to these units for so long, as were some London Bridge roundabouts. Finding a location where they met a DEMU (other than 6Ss and 6Ls by Grove Park shed!) is stretching my memory - but hey!

• RMweb Premium
Finding a location where they met a DEMU (other than 6Ss and 6Ls by Grove Park shed!) is stretching my memory

Ashford, Horsham, Guildford and Portsmouth & Southsea come to mind. 2EPB units (not necessarily the BR-type) were fairly regular visitors to all of those though not usually operating singly.

• RMweb Gold

If its the dimensionally similar to the 4-CEP then its going to be very very tight. I only have experience in EM on the 4-CEP where the bogies had to be cut in half and widened if you wanted to use 26mm axles/Black Beetle wheels. If anyone else manged to do without a cut and shut job I would love to know how. The pickups also need a re-hash. If you are already working in P4 then this should not be a problem to you.

PS There is a theory that the reason the bogies are narrow on the 4-CEP, normally P4 or EM wheel sets drop into most RTR Coach bogies without problem, is that in order to keep the 3rd rail shoe at the correct 'EDGE' distance from a '00' (16.5 mm rememenber) rail then the bogies had to be made slightly narrower than normal. If this holds up then the 2EPB and Hornbies 4-VEP are probably all going to be similar.

But Hey Ho thats why we model in EM/P4 to make life difficult :D

Regards

Dave

2-EPBs do represent minimalist third rail modelling, and as such have a lot of appeal for the spacially-challenged, I hope. Wimbledon-West Croydon and the Sarf Londons are the classic all-day uses (even if the former service packed up at 2000!) but the Addiscombe and Bromley North "Poppers" in the off-peak were home to these units for so long, as were some London Bridge roundabouts. Finding a location where they met a DEMU (other than 6Ss and 6Ls by Grove Park shed!) is stretching my memory - but hey!

Sanderstead's a good bet. The branch from Elmer's End was operated by 2EPB's until the line shut (in the early 80's I think). They would connect with Thumper Services on the London - East Grinstead/Uckfield Line.

Don't forget Strood-Maidstone-Paddock Wood as a possible location for them, although stock used on those lines varied a lot over the years, everything from 2EPB, 4EPB, 2HAP, 2x2HAP, to 4CEP, 4VEP in the blue/grey era.

They also got used singly for parcels traffic. There was a regular 2EPB from the Medway area up through Dartford early afternoons which was generally loaded to the gunwales with parcels sacks in one or other of the coaches.

Or you could do Shepardswell (EKR Station not the mainline) which is having a BR Blue 205 done up get that and the 2 EPB then all you need is a half connex/Green livery 09 to haul it.:D

James

Here is one at Sanderstead: 5718

Sanderstead? Sure, but you'll need rather a lot of 3Ds and 3Hs, because the electric service only ran from Elmers in the peak - and the peak DEMUs on the Oxted line were all 6s or 9s. Is this where Kernow is going to make its fortune?

Agreed. One could also run the peak hour working with a class 33 and mark ones as well.

Ashford, Horsham, Guildford and Portsmouth & Southsea come to mind. 2EPB units (not necessarily the BR-type) were fairly regular visitors to all of those though not usually operating singly.

London Bridge - Purley-ish

3-H's on Oxted / East Grinsteads - EPB's on Caterhams etc.

Sorry - that's already been mentioned earlier

• RMweb Gold

London Bridge - Purley-ish

3-H's on Oxted / East Grinsteads - EPB's on Caterhams etc.

Sorry - that's already been mentioned earlier

Not wrong, but I was looking at minimalist 2-EPB opportunities, since I feel the model offers something new for the smaller layout with a Southern theme. That includes Purley-Caterham, ok, and of course Purley-Tatt Corner, but all stations on both branches had longer platforms. Wim-W Croy, and the Sarf London, offer 2-car plats, with, in the former case, a bit of local freight, reflecting industry Waddon Marsh-Bedd Lane, or even Merton Park-Wimbledon (admittedly double track) when the Merton Abbey freight (Lines Bros?) still ran, i.e. until about 1971.

• RMweb Premium

You could do Sanderstead with a 2EPB and a Thumper or two; chuck in 33+4 or 5 Mk1 coaches for a peak working and you have a modest project which would fit in many a railway room. Or Selsdon if you wanted to model the junction; some electrics turned back there as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been looking through this topic. I don't want to stick my head above the parapet but, do the models as shown in NSEDaz's posted pictures on p. 3 of this thread sit a little high on their bogies?

I appreciate that the BR EPB's etc. had a shallower solebar than the Bulleid types and consequently there was more of a gap between the top of the bogie and the underside of the solebar. However, there seems to be a larger-than-life gap on these pre-production models. If so, the ride height will be affected.

Oh dear, I hope I'm wrong!

In all other respects, the model does look fantastic!

Colin Parks

• RMweb Premium

It's hard to be completely certain, Colin, as taking the micrometer to a photo taken on an angle and viewed on a screen isn't the most exact science. But to me the units look right and bear in mind also that the real thing was laser-scanned which should eliminate a lot of scope for error at the design stage.

There was a rather higher step from the average platform into an EPB than would be considered acceptable these days into Notworker or Electrostar stock.

It's hard to be completely certain, Colin, as taking the micrometer to a photo taken on an angle and viewed on a screen isn't the most exact science. But to me the units look right and bear in mind also that the real thing was laser-scanned which should eliminate a lot of scope for error at the design stage.

There was a rather higher step from the average platform into an EPB than would be considered acceptable these days into Notworker or Electrostar stock.

True - new stock since early 90's (?) has to designed with the DDD act in mind and have a degree of level access for wheelchairs etc.. or ramps (the later clearly not practical for suburban stock)

Ouch! I knew I was stirring up trouble.

I have looked again at the picture of the green liveried trailer car on p.3 of the topic and it still seems too high. The blue/grey version looks lower. As I said, I hope I'm wrong and that the models were not quite the definitive articles. If you look at any of my modelling on RMweb you will see that I don't work with a micrometer!

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Sent an email asking if these will be here in time for next weekends canterbury show but the reply i got was that the expected release date of the 2EPB will be May/June time , he did not say why they were late for but I did reply back and asked if they knew.

James

• 1 month later...

Archived