Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

BT Openreach phone Scam

MarcD

• RMweb Premium

In that case, "It's not my problem, guv" if your machine is compromised.

Download and install Teamviewer or anything else on a personal machine if asked to do so in a phone call at your own risk. You will regret it!

Unless the phone call is one you initiated, to your usual repairer. But a random, inbound caller, a definite no, no.

In that case, "It's not my problem, guv" if your machine is compromised.

Download and install Teamviewer or anything else on a personal machine if asked to do so in a phone call at your own risk. You will regret it!

Not my problem either, it's work's 'pooter!

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

Not my problem either, it's work's 'pooter!

C6T.

Such a shame when that happens. Usually because they're too tight to upgrade it & waste of money getting it fixed.

IIRC Kev, when they bought the laptop it was in spec, I rather suspect Flexmail has gotten more sophisticated since then and left the poor old thing behind!

Besides, how much do you spend on a piece of hardware whose sole purpose is to run variable data to an envelope printer? I'd want change out of 300 notes.

I also suspect the software itself is a tad flakey, judging by the fact an update patch is available practically every other time I boot up!

It is a constant source of frustration, I use a Mac at home, for good reason...preservation of sanity in the main.

C6T.

• Like 1

Had one recently where they asked "...is that mr xxxxx..."  I said who are you? This went on for a while until he, for it was a he, was firmly told "...am putting the phone down and have a good day". Toerag replied "...hope you have a bad one...."./

I've had loads of 'scammer' calls in recent months from 'Microsoft', 'BT', 'insurance', 'investment opportunities' etc. etc. The last one I had, from the Indian sub-continent, after I had let him go on for ages just to waste his time, I told him to Foxtrot Oscar, and put the phone down quickly before he could reply. Over the next few minutes the phone rang three times (with different numbers on the caller display). I let it ring 'til it stopped - It must have been from either them or someone with them trying to urgently give me a polite reply! Needless to say, I blocked all the numbers (whether it's worked I don't know, as many are spoof numbers), and since then I've not had any call me.

Well, that's not quite true, I had one yesterday - an English female, calling about changes in planning regulations regarding my conservatory, and she quoted my name and address. I asked which conservatory it would be that she was referring to, to which she said: "The one at your address." When I questioned where she got her information from, she then asked: "Do you not have a conservatory?"  "P**s O*f!"  I don't know what she was after or was selling but I blocked the number, but oddly it was 12 digits.

If you get a call claiming to be from 'BT', ask them what their EIN is. (Don't say it, but it's Employee Identification Number, and if they are genuine they will know what you mean). This should be a 9-digit number, nothing more, nothing less, and no letters. When they come up with some other rubbish, tell them they're lying and hang up. Any genuine BT employee (I used to be one...), while it's not usual to be asked that question, should give it as they will have nothing to hide, and the number is only used internally.       

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 3

Had one recently where they asked "...is that mr xxxxx..."  I said who are you? This went on for a while until he, for it was a he, was firmly told "...am putting the phone down and have a good day". Toerag replied "...hope you have a bad one...."./

If you are asked, "Can you hear me?", or "Is that Mr X?", NEVER answer "Yes" or you may be caught up in the scam where they use your voice to say that you placed an order for something. Look up "Yes Scam" on the web.

• RMweb Premium

If you get a call claiming to be from 'BT', ask them what their EIN is. (Don't say it, but it's Employee Identification Number, and if they are genuine they will know what you mean). This should be a 9-digit number, nothing more, nothing less, and no letters. When they come up with some other rubbish, tell them they're lying and hang up. Any genuine BT employee (I used to be one...), while it's not usual to be asked that question, should give it as they will have nothing to hide, and the number is only used internally.       

Sorry, but that is poor advice. What if the scammer is aware of the EIN system (scammers collude), they could make up a 9 digit number and an RMweb member could then think its a genuine caller. There are much better ways to confirm a genuine caller, they would have access to your account details and you could ask them something specific about your account, which of course a fake, would be unable to correctly answer. A quick hang up, is the standard response.

I once had a bank ring me out of the blue, which I had an idea that it was genuine. To prove it, I asked for the last occasion I purchased petrol on the card. They gave the correct location!

Or else get an idea of the purpose of the call and department (a reference number is good, if possible), then call the organisation back via a publicly listed number.

• RMweb Gold

Had another this morning. He wasn't quite the usual and during his intro asked,  'how are you'   I replied   'fine....I've just sh*gged your mother'  . . .he seemed to lose it at this point especially when I said 'she's a 2 out of 10 at best and I'm being generous' . . . 

This afternoon was.   'Have you had an accident'   I said my usual   'Yes I've sh*t myself but I don't know what you can do about it' reply. . . .she put the phone down on me. . .

Sometimes they just don't want to play.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon was.   'Have you had an accident'   I said my usual   'Yes I've sh*t myself but I don't know what you can do about it' reply. . . .she put the phone down on me. . .

Those ones are fun. I generally start by asking where they got the details from, then ask for their, and their company details, (address, data controllers details) and then ask them why they are asking me to make a fraudulent claim. If they are still on the phone at this point I tell them that I am very disappointed that a representative of a legal firm is knowingly asking me to committee a criminal act. Asking them to provide me with a call recording for legal purposes is generally the last straw for them. It's rare to get this far. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A different tactic this morning.  

An 'automated call' for the first time. There was a robotic sounding voice with the usual "This is BT technical department you have infected computer" cr*p  then press 1 for BT, press 2 for other provider.

If you are asked, "Can you hear me?", or "Is that Mr X?", NEVER answer "Yes" or you may be caught up in the scam where they use your voice to say that you placed an order for something. Look up "Yes Scam" on the web.

Snopes is sceptical about this one:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/can-you-hear-me-scam/

It's not useless. The fact that my preference, and the law, is being flouted gives a cast-iron indication that the caller is a crook.

What is more concerning is that quite a lot purport to come from identifiable UK areas (South Wales, Liverpool and West Yorkshire are some I have noted) so how are they able to use such numbers from abroad?

John

Not just scammers that ignore TPS. We get a lot of cold calls from suppliers of "green" heating-systems who are farming the government subsidies. They are not actually trying to rob you, just to sell you expensive stuff that you don't need.

• RMweb Gold

'And how are you today sir?'

'I was alright until you rang, go forth and urinate' (or words to that effect).

The best one I ever had was someone asking to speak to a man with my surname but different initials so i asked for the full initials

'Mr XX XXXXXXX'

How did you get his name?

'He answered a survey two weeks ago'

The lord be praised and thank you for our wonderful god, he's definitely better than your god as he has raised the dead and set them forth to answer surveys from con-artists roaming our streets. now go forth and multiply excrement face.

The initials they gave were those of my father who had previously had the same 'phone number as us, we'd buried him 4 years previously!

• Like 4

An idea just dawned on me. If they ever ask you to search for something, say "I'll go and have a look," but rather than actually look find some nice string music on the internet or otherwise like 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusic' and turn it up so that it blares into their receiver. Shouldn't be too long before they hang up, and then you can get back to your modelling....

A different tactic this morning.  

An 'automated call' for the first time. There was a robotic sounding voice with the usual "This is BT technical department you have infected computer" cr*p  then press 1 for BT, press 2 for other provider.

Never press any numbers in response to a call. If you do so, you may be calling a Premium Rate or International number which will incur a large charge on your bill.

It has happened to several people I know . . .

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago, in my mid-teens, I was at a girlfriend's house when the phone rang and she answered it. It was a heavy breather, who in between heavy breaths started telling her what he would like to be doing to her, whereupon the girlfriend shouted "Mam, it's for you ..."

I don't think he rang back ...

A receptionist at an old company of mine had a similar experience "I've got something in my hand for you" said the heavy breather. "If you can hold it in one hand I'm not interested" was her retort.

Don't EVER let anyone get you to download this program (or any other) and access your computer. If you do, they will steal your personal information or install a keylogger which will allow them to see everything you type on your computer.

Not true - if you are stupid enough to use an administrative user for everyday tasks then yes - but you are also open to viruses and any other malware which you accidentally happen across. Once again I will repeat my advice of using a normal level user for day to day activity and keeping admin level users for exactly that - admin tasks only. You can also watch the screen while it is being remotely controlled and see what they are up to.  BUT don't allow any random person to access your machine, by any means, no matter who they are, even if they can somehow prove they work for BT/anyone.

Many years ago my son had an issue with TV Licensing where they were trying to get him to pay a fine, it turned out the guy was an ex employee who had kept equipment and ID to try and get people to pay "fines" on the door - he also had accessed records so he knew those who were due to renew so could be more convincing. Fortunately my son phoned me as he was scared and as I lived around the corner I ran round and explained in colloquial Scouse what would happen to the fu..er nice gentleman if he didn't p.ss off leave the area, we then phoned the police and the authority and gave them the details.

• RMweb Gold

Not just scammers that ignore TPS. We get a lot of cold calls from suppliers of "green" heating-systems who are farming the government subsidies. They are not actually trying to rob you, just to sell you expensive stuff that you don't need.

Same difference so far as I see it. Just a matter of degree.  :jester:

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine once responded to a scam caller by telling them they had called a secretly listed phone line monitored by MI5 and that the caller's location had been traced and they should expect a visit from some broad shouldered lads in a black helicopter any minute now.

They hung up pretty dam quick apparently!!

• Like 4

An idea just dawned on me. If they ever ask you to search for something, say "I'll go and have a look," but rather than actually look find some nice string music on the internet or otherwise like 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusic' and turn it up so that it blares into their receiver. Shouldn't be too long before they hang up, and then you can get back to your modelling....

I used to be a Rugby referee.  I keep my Acme Thunderer by the phone .....

Bill

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

You'll be surprised how patient some of them can be. I once "went to find" the person they are asking for (me- but I wasn't going to tell them that..). I made a cup of coffee so she listened to the kettle boiling and the spoon clanking on the cup as I stirred it.Then I decided I needed a #2 so took the phone to the lav, after 5 mins of inappropriate noise, I flushed, picked up the phone and could hear silence. I said a tentative "Hello?" only to be met with "Is that Mr xxxxxx?". She'd been on hold for a good 10 minutes!

However the person who disturbed my guitar practice got the amp turned up, phone placed by the cab and a nice powerchord followed by howling feedback from my Gretsch. Didn't hear from them again.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The phone number here is very similar to a local restaurant.

"A table for 2 for 8pm, certainly sir. We're having egg and chips tonight, I hope that will be ok? Oh by the way, could you bring your own candle?"

Martin.

Not true - if you are stupid enough to use an administrative user for everyday tasks then yes - but you are also open to viruses and any other malware which you accidentally happen across. Once again I will repeat my advice of using a normal level user for day to day activity and keeping admin level users for exactly that - admin tasks only. You can also watch the screen while it is being remotely controlled and see what they are up to.  BUT don't allow any random person to access your machine, by any means, no matter who they are, even if they can somehow prove they work for BT/anyone.

Agreed . . . but the reality is that most home users have no idea about the use of Admin vs Non-Admin Users and plough on regardless.

Edited by JJGraphics

A couple of people mentioned Call Guardian earlier in the thread.

We changed our home phones for a set of phones equipped with Call Guardian, about 4 years ago.

Prior to that we were receiving lots of these scamming calls and lots of silent calls from autodialling call centres.

They came in bouts. Sometimes a couple a week, sometimes nothing for a week or two, then maybe 3 or 4 a day for a couple of days.

The use of Call Guardian killed them off completely. Not a single nuisance call has got through since we got it.

The phone doesn't even ring and we have no idea if any of these call attempts are made or not, without looking at the phone's call log.

Occasionally, we have to switch the Call Guardian off, if we are expecting a call from someone not stored in the phone's memory, the originating phone number isn't known and we can't expect or don't trust the caller to go through the answer process.

e.g. Automated calls to confirm Hospital appointments.

If it's switched off for a couple of hours, there's a good chance that a nuisance call will come through, especially between 4pm and 6pm.

I changed my old Mum's phones for one's with this facility and she's no longer plagued by them.

Previously she was getting them almost every day.

Call Guardian is not dependant on your choice of phone service provider.

You just need caller display active, which comes free (included) in our phone service package.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I suppose if its a male voice, you could always ask if its King Soloman calling?

The caller would wonder WTF.

So you could say that you are the 'Queen of Sheba', will you marry me?