Kings Cross Suburban

Pete 75C

G'Day Folks

One good thing about platform 15, it was sometimes used as a overflow stabling area when the passenger loco was full, mainly on Saturdays.

manna

• Like 1

One good thing about platform 15, it was sometimes used as a overflow stabling area when the passenger loco was full, mainly on Saturdays.

I've seen photos of a Class 40, Class 31s and a Deltic parked up on 15, so that's an absolute must for the model. I'm happy to have a couple of Cravens units running about as well as the obligatory Type 2/Class 31 + Mk1 suburbans, but I'm more than pleased there's opportunity for light engine movements and stabling.

Do you remember what could be seen running in and out of Platform 17 or had that pretty much fallen out of use?

• RMweb Premium

I've seen photos of a Class 40, Class 31s and a Deltic parked up on 15, so that's an absolute must for the model. I'm happy to have a couple of Cravens units running about as well as the obligatory Type 2/Class 31 + Mk1 suburbans, but I'm more than pleased there's opportunity for light engine movements and stabling.

Do you remember what could be seen running in and out of Platform 17 or had that pretty much fallen out of use?

Hi Pete

Platform 17 could be platform 15. Don't forget the platforms were renumbered about 1970. There was not a platform 3 or 9, on renumbering platform 10, the spotters platform became platform 8 and all the suburban platforms numbers decreased by 2.

Hi Pete

Platform 17 could be platform 15. Don't forget the platforms were renumbered about 1970. There was not a platform 3 or 9, on renumbering platform 10, the spotters platform became platform 8 and all the suburban platforms numbers decreased by 2.

I think I may have got my numbering wrong Clive. I've never quite got my head round it... The plan I'm working to is below and in my head, it's 1975. So by 1975, would each of these numbers have decreased by two?

post-17811-0-55932200-1525428456_thumb.png

G'Day Folks

The 'Old' platform 17, was mainly spare GUV's and parcel's stock and a couple of spare coaches, also No 1 shunt (normally a class 31) would often be held in Platform 17, ready to shunt anytime it was needed, No 2 shunt (normally a class 08) on night shift could also be held there.

manna

I don't know what my problem is (I should just get over it) but I have a real issue with using "Kings Cross" in the layout name. Perhaps it's because I'm keenly aware that although the finished model will be a *bit* like the prototype, many shortcuts will have been taken and things "tweaked" to suit both myself and the space available. For that reason, I'm currently thinking of something like King Street. Knowing how often I change my mind, who knows...

Put a few of these up on the platforms = problem solved? 

post-6971-0-98873700-1525430457.png

• Like 2

Put a few of these up on the platforms = problem solved? 

attachicon.gifNot KX.png

Do you know what? Sod it... I might just call it Kings Cross after all. It won't be correct, but I'm the only one likely to see it, especially after the move.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I may have got my numbering wrong Clive. I've never quite got my head round it... The plan I'm working to is below and in my head, it's 1975. So by 1975, would each of these numbers have decreased by two?

attachicon.gifkingsx_1.png

Hi Pete

Yes but I think the old railwaymen and many regular passenger also never got their heads round it, so still called platform 14, platform 16.

The suburban platforms 14 and 15 (old numbers) were not used at weekends and photos do show that Manna's recollections are right (not that I thought they weren't) but I have seen photos of locos stabled along the old platform 17 and at times a DMU.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Pete

It shouts Kings Cross Suburban to me who spent the first 12 years of his life sat at the front of a Cravens only stopping when the GNE came into service

So another vote for what it is a brilliant representation of KXsub

Colin

• Like 1

On the subject of green - when I lived at Pickering and was involved, in a very small way, in the construction of the new shed at the end of the main departure platform (I only helped with the foundations and shell before we moved), I recall a major debate about what green to use to match LNER green, and Buckingham was chosen (which was readily available at the time).

As an aside, the decision was a little eccentric, as the main station building was being painted in the older black and white scheme at the time.....

• Like 2

Do you know what? Sod it... I might just call it Kings Cross after all. It won't be correct, but I'm the only one likely to see it, especially after the move.

None taken Pete!

Mike.

Oops...Sorry, forgot!

This is looking very good, now following.

With regard to the layout name, if you are modelling a real location which you appear to be, the layout name has to be KX Suburban I would have thought.

Regards,

Brian.

With regard to the layout name, if you are modelling a real location which you appear to be, the layout name has to be KX Suburban I would have thought.

The more I think about it, I guess you're right.

I still have issues with the fact that although there may be a similarity to the real thing, so many details will either be wrong, different or missing altogether. I suppose I can live with that. Creating a carbon copy would be near-impossible even for someone with the patience and skill to scratchbuild every detail... there are SO many details on the suburban side of Kings Cross that just went unrecorded and are now, of course, lost forever.

I think it's time to put the whole "name" thing to bed. I'll call it "Kings Cross Suburban" and the platform name boards will be just as they were on a dull Tuesday afternoon in 1974.

post-17811-0-12863200-1526014989.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

How about "Hotel Curve"?

Stewart

Or how about Cheney Street, which was the road at the concourse end on the 1916 map.

Oh no, don't start him off again! Just when he'd "finally" decided.

Given it's eventual (hopefully) destination, it can only be Cruz del Rey!

Mike.

• Like 1