The newly announced Bachmann 3F tender loco

Guest Phil

I think the Hattons ones came and went (they have pics on their site) though I guess more may be on their way. I hope you get yours D605!

My model shop only had 2, and these sold quickly. Seems like it was a popular model.

Hornby and Bachmann are canny, I guess they try to stage their releases to maximise their sales (and encourage multiple purchases by collectors).

My local retailer tells me that BR early crest is the most popular for steam locos, but this is not always the first livery on the shelves.

N

Has anybody got an LMS version yet? It seems some shops are advertising it as in stock, and others (Hattons) arn't. I seem to be getting very good at ordering versions of locos that come out last!

I got my LMS one before Christmas but my supplier said they had not recieved enough to satisfy all their pre-orders.

• RMweb Gold

With the barest amount of daylight between the intermediate buffer heads and the representation of the drag box pads they bear on, mine is sailing round 30" curves. However thanks to your comment I have just realised that to do so it is using up sideplay in all the wheelsets, as neither the loco nor the tender are tangent to the curve. So I will be passing a file over those intermediate buffer heads to allow the loco and tender a little more swing relative to each other.

That's encouraging. I will probably not have all that side play to 'play' with once I have re-gauged it to EM but maybe I will be able to close the gap more than I have been able to on other locos.

Geoff

Ho ho! Discovered my little boo-boo in reassembling the cemented on front platform when I went to operate the loco yesterday on a set track layout. Would the adjustable slide for loco to tender spacing adjust? No. A little cement had made its mobile way down to this slide and was sticking it to the tender chassis. To get this component separated and once more adjustable involved the discovery that the slide securing screw doesn't simply go into a tapped hole in the chassis, but into a proper hex nut, which of course fell out of its locator. So the whole tender had to come apart again to retrieve and reposition the nut; which is now retained in its locator with a wipe of varnish...

It has had a decent amount of running now so gave it a haulage assessment. Without visible slipping was quite happy with 60 wagons even at dead slow, and would move 80 wagons on level track by using the slack in the couplings to start the train with a snatch and could then keep going at a net scale 12mph around the circuit with quite a lot of slip with the train around the tighter end test curve of 30" radius. So, no need for that Garratt then!

I really hope that the NE region is next for an 0-6-0. So J27 will hopefully follow.

On the 3F, did any venture over to Scarborough? I know a 4F pulled an early Scarborough Flyer. If so I can justify a model for my future Seamer station layout.

Re the query about weathering the 3F's here are my two attempts. Mind you I have managed to lose both whistles, I will have to see if I can get them somewhere.

Nice! Although I believe the cobweb in the rear of the first pic isn't quite to scale ;)

Guest Max Stafford

I wouldnt be suprised if this 0-6-0 chassis spawns a few more loco bodies over the years. The 4F is a natural but so too is the J6, J11, J21 and others. I know a J27 is preserved but are these locos as useful in the model world?

I'd have one Larry. Seen all over Yorkshire and right up through Durham and Northumberland; occasionally reaching as far as Edinburgh up the East Coast. That's a pretty reasonable chunk of the UK landmass.

And they look good in a sturdy, 'no nonsense' way.

Much like yer big Lanky 0-8-0s!

Dave.

I'd have one Larry. Seen all over Yorkshire and right up through Durham and Northumberland; occasionally reaching as far as Edinburgh up the East Coast. That's a pretty reasonable chunk of the UK landmass.

And they look good in a sturdy, 'no nonsense' way.

Much like yer big Lanky 0-8-0s!

Dave.

I would have to agree and know there would a big support for a J27. The Hornby magazine wish list a couple of years back strongly supported that along with a Q6. I'm only suprised Hornby went with an O1 this year and over looked the Q6, though Tyne dock had some so no complaints there.

Guest Max Stafford

I'm pretty certain we will see one from Bachmann in the next couple of Years. They've fairly blitzed the Fowler classes of late so maybe Worsdell and Raven will get a go next! The common wheelbase with the 3F and C Class is singing that song to me strongly!

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Add me to the queue for J27/ J21 (and a Q6 for good measure) !

The 3F is an outstanding model as was anticipated and having made such a good job of the chassis, its to be hoped Bachmann would look to make use of it on other locos sharing the same wheelbase.

John

On the topic of tender top removal to allow the decoder to go in, the disassembly did not match the diagram. The entire front step of the tender with the railings and brake handle stanchion on it was glued firmly to the chassis, and it consequently took a lot of wiggling to move the tender top out and off from the chassis once the two screws were out.

Getting the loco body off was all fingers and thumbs too, fiddling around the back end to get the loco to tender link out for modification. Like the interior construction of the chassis, and with the top of the slim motor just 38mm above rail that should enable fitting into a lot of small low centreline boilered prototypes.

Very pleased with it as a model overall, and I second the opinion on the fine running in DCC.

I wish I'd read this before attempting to fit a Bachmann 21 pin decoder today !!

I removed the two screws at the rear of the tender as shown in Bachmann's diagram but the front of the tender body would not come apart from the chassis. I thought that the screw at the front of the chassis (which fastens the tender coupling pin) was also fastening the tender body. (WARNING - do NOT undo this screw !!! A supposed captive 10BA nut inside will fall out and it's a b......d of a job to reassemble) I (learning the hard way) undid that screw but the body still refused to come off.

As 34C reported in more detail on another forum : ".... tender body removal: it was not as drawn on the service sheet, which shows the front platform of the tender with the railings and brake standard as part of the tender body. The platform proved to be cemented to the tender chassis, and had no connection to the removeable tender body. What happened on mine was that I took the two rear screws out, slightly lifted the rear of the tender while also pulling toward the rear to disengage the hook in lugs at the front. Nothing doing. Slightly more force was applied until there was movement, this enabled by breaking the cement bond securing the platform to the chassis. All easily made good. With small assembly variations, I expect that the body may well disengage on some specimens without dislodging the front platform, but now you know."

So,I followed 34C's advice and used force - the tender body did come off but the brake standard platform also fell off. OK I'll have to glue it back on - something I believe I shouldn't have to do now that all new locos are designed to be "DCC Ready"

Those who run with DCC and like to keep their models in perfect "as new" condition will be a bit horrifed by this I expect.

Again, a beautiful sweet running model but slightly let down for me by the poor tender body design.

Ian

Has anyone had this problem with the 3F? Placed loco on track ran perfectly for two or three minutes then started with a mechanical click similar to a piece of plastic on bicycle spokes - both directions, still runs perfectly .

Cheers Godders

.....ran perfectly for two or three minutes then started with a mechanical click similar to a piece of plastic on bicycle spokes - both directions,

I'm tempted to say it is non- DCC sound effects. Seriously though, I wonder if one of the phosphor bronze wiper pickups has run off the wheel edge and into the spokes?

Godders as Coachmann said above i had this exact same problem with a Bachmann crab which was brand new & i had that problem it is more than likely the pick up. As for the statements about it running well on DCC i think mine is a complete hulk on dcc i've tried alsorts to make it run sweet but i am finding this troublesome.

Simon

Archived