The newly announced Bachmann 3F tender loco

Guest Phil

Guest Belgian

The splashers must me over diameter to allow for thickness of plastic. The back of the centre splasher should be in front of the firebox cladding band...

Does that mean you take back your comments in post 152 Larry? (A "bloomin' good" loco for around 59 smackers).

JE

The splashers must me over diameter to allow for thickness of plastic.

Not seen ( in the flesh as it were ) , or tried one out yet but is there much vertical play/ float/ flexibility on the driving wheels not directly attached to the motor ??

Guest Belgian

Why would it? :lazy:

I understood that your principal objection to the old Airfix 4F was its oversized splashers, therefore, following your comments on the 3F splashers and your noting "The splashers must me over diameter to allow for thickness of plastic. The back of the centre splasher should be in front of the firebox cladding band..." I sort of assumed you might be put off this one as well . . (I know, 'never assume'!)

JE

Let me put something to you, now get yer thinkin' 'ead on.

Take three main dimensions;-

1) thickness of splasher top/cover.

2) total vertical play/compensatiion/springing/etc of (non-motor/free on model) axle.

&

3) Flange depth.

Now take the total for a full size prototypical example, and divide by 76.

Now subtract that figure from the total sizes on the model.

Now add the final figure to the depth of splasher on the full size example .

I bet you wont get much difference to what you have on the Bachmann loco.

AND with the Airfix 4F, considering the original Airfix example had 'Pizza-cutter' drivers.

Just a thought, don't get too het up about it.

A couple more pics showing the interior and adjustable drawbar. It weighs in at 291g.

Pick ups on both loco and tender.

post-6950-0-36866400-1321553291_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-60683600-1321553298_thumb.jpg

Pick ups on the tender?? I'm not sure it has. I wish it did, mine stalls on places that no other loco has ever stalled on in the last 6 years. Checked the pickups and cleaned the wheel backs, but it does seem a bit reluctant to clamber over insulfrog points. The Compound has tender pickups, but I am yet to be convinced that the 3F does.

What does the inside of the cab look like splasher wise on the sides of the boiler?

Ignore that, i've just seen Gordon's pictures, the boxes hide the issues to an extent.

I assume Bachmann have now abandoned fitting a coil spring on the centre axle now too?

I might get to see one tomorrow anyway but its worth pictures on here. Someone in the club wants to P4 one but in the case of splasher locos with quite a simple body like this (and one colour of paint!) I feel its possibly better with a tube and some etches.

Great model for 00 though.

Well that answers Q2 how about Q1 - How wide are the tender underframes apart?

Answer to Q1 - 24mm (inside of frames)

Answer to tender pickups - No tender pickups

Only iffy criticisms of the tender -

Brake shoes no where near the tyres (as already noted)

Anaemic springs and axleboxes because of the frame spacing above.

post-1161-0-20546600-1323115656.jpg.

Pick ups on the tender?? I'm not sure it has. I wish it did, mine stalls on places that no other loco has ever stalled on in the last 6 years. Checked the pickups and cleaned the wheel backs, but it does seem a bit reluctant to clamber over insulfrog points. The Compound has tender pickups, but I am yet to be convinced that the 3F does.

Check that all the loco wheels are taking power. Cant see any on tender wires are for DCC if same as O4

• RMweb Premium

Answer to Q1 - 24mm (inside of frames)

Answer to tender pickups - No tender pickups

Only iffy criticisms of the tender -

Brake shoes no where near the tyres (as already noted)

Anaemic springs and axleboxes because of the frame spacing above.

post-1161-0-20546600-1323115656.jpg.

So the bit you can use further is not exactly good.... Why?

I'm finding the photography of models has become something of a problem. The Bachmann 3F splashers didn't appear to cling to the wheels in the way they do on the NRM Compound. But when I photographed the latter, the wheels didn't look as closely fitting inside the splashers either! I was expecting perfection because my eyes told me everything looked right. I have no doubt now that I will be perfectly happy with the Bachmann 3F when it eventually arrives.

Check that all the loco wheels are taking power. Cant see any on tender wires are for DCC if same as O4

Thanks for the advice. I did this, all the wheels were taking power but it still stalled, so I fitted a Zimo decoder with a stay-alive capacitor fitted which has made a world of difference. I bought it from the very helpful chaps at the Digitrains stand at the Wigan exhibition today, and they stated that I was 'not the first' to have had this issue.

To my incredibly untrained eye it seems to be a very rigid chassis/wheel arrangement, which makes it unable to compensate for any unevenness in track surface. Maybe my track should be a bit better, but every other loco negotiates it reasonably well.

Thanks for the advice. I did this, all the wheels were taking power but it still stalled, so I fitted a Zimo decoder with a stay-alive capacitor fitted which has made a world of difference.

How do these work ? I have never heard of this before. Is it sort of an ''electronic flywheel'' ? It makes you wonder why all locos are not fitted with these at the factory. How much do they cost ?

To my incredibly untrained eye it seems to be a very rigid chassis/wheel arrangement, which makes it unable to compensate for any unevenness in track surface. Maybe my track should be a bit better, but every other loco negotiates it reasonably well.

I have a bachman Jinty (converted to EM using Gibson Wheels) which behaves in a very similar way on certain parts of the goods yard where the incline into the yard levels off and bottoms out - I know that the pickups engage the tyres, but it obviously loses contact at these points. i suspect the 3F being a very similar wheelbase if its rigid, had the same problems. When I get round to getting it out of the cupboard and building it the solution for me lies with a High Level kits sprung replacement chassis.

Not Now!!!!

"We thought you may like to know that an item you have asked us to notify when it arrives into stock, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Bachmann UK 31-626 Class 3F 0-6-0 43762 in BR Black with early emblem. £62.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Tuesday 13th December 2011"

Oh my aching wallet... :help:

• RMweb Gold

How do these work ? I have never heard of this before. Is it sort of an ''electronic flywheel'' ? It makes you wonder why all locos are not fitted with these at the factory. How much do they cost ?

They only work as part of a DCC package - and the sort of decoders that come in DCC-fitted locos are typically low-cost to keep the price down. In your end of the planet, Richard Johnson at DCC Concepts offers a range of such decoders, better priced than some, too.

Archived