The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How do you feel about the UK's plastic banknotes?

I was fairly neutral on the introduction of the plastic fiver and tenner, but am moving to a 'not in favour' position mainly due the accumulated experience of their  handling qualities in a variety of conditions.

Slippery when fingers are wet or greasy.

Slippery when fingers are cold and dry,

Stick together if they happen to get wet.

Slide about and blow around if there is slight air movement.

Work their way out of pockets.

Today, just had one from a cash dispenser that smells vile. Never before had that with a paper note.

And you?

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

I quite fancied this bird in the pub  and so i lit my cigar  butt with the new bank note to impress her  over my  half of mild  and it nearly killed me .And her .My case comes up next week ....They say the pub can be rebuilt.

• Like 1

They do stick together so more care is needed. Difficult to fold / keep folded.

Other than that they seem OK. Never had a smelly one though !!

I don't carry cash like I used to. £100 cash will last me over a month these days. I pay for most things now by card, especially minor purchases at supermarkets etc - I've got used to using contactless, and usually only have £20 or so in my wallet.

Brit15

• Like 1

Most other things in life are plastic, so why not bank notes? Its only money!

My dislike is not for the material as such, but the inferior handling quallties compared to the paper version. It simply doesn't handle as well in many of the routine actions that are an inevitable part of using banknotes.

Another one of mine which I should have listed, hopeless for handling in anything but leather gloves (in cold weather).

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

Hate them, they're horrible. They just encourage me to prefer contactless and stay cash free!

Which, of course, may well be the idea!

Cashless society seems to be a good way of giving "them" pretty much total control.

• RMweb Premium

Better pictures on the Scottish ones, of course, nae quine on any of 'em and a steam train crossing Glenfinnan on the Bank of Scotland tenner.

Try using them in Wales . Yes I know they are legal tender , but the lady explained that if she took my Scottish fiver then no one else would accept it in their change . With all the different designs , I see her point

Try using them in Wales . Yes I know they are legal tender , but the lady explained that if she took my Scottish fiver then no one else would accept it in their change . With all the different designs , I see her point

Yep, and even tricksier trying to spend an Ulster Bank one...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When I lived in Cumbria Scottish notes weren't a problem and all the businesses were happy to take them (not surprising given the proximity to Scotland) but even in Cumbria if you tried using an Ulster note you got a lot of umm'ing and aah'ing and talking to supervisors. I find in the South that big national stores will generally take these other notes but many smaller businesses will ask you for English notes.

Actually, they aren't "legal tender", but they are "legal currency" - https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes/legal-position.html

That is the best explanation of the question I have seen.

• Like 1