Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

'Humour' on layouts - good or bad?

Wasn't there also a photo in Railway Modeller showing a great white shark that had just happened to swim into the harbour at Llareggub during an exhibition? From memory, the shark had been very neatly shaped to fit between Dave and Shirley's sculpted waves and looked perfectly at home in Wales.

Great whites have been seen in British waters, there are not many places that are beyond it's cruising ability.

When I started work with PO Telephones my intake year had:

M.T. Page

I.M. King

T.A Antram

Meanwhile in 16mm circles a vintage layout by the name of Phurcombe Hall was muddled for exhibitions, which raised a few eyebrows and wry smiles.

But no worse than Bluebell End which was broadcast weekly on BBC R4.

Hugh Hampton first saw the light of day in the Goon show, itself referred to as the Go On show by the upper floors at Broadcasting house.

Mike Hunt regularly appeared in Radio Active when the BBC eventually got to blue pencil the name as 'unacceptable' the production editor was advised it had been broadcast every week of the previous 5weeks the name made the edit

Humour offensive or not is in the mind of the listener or reader.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hugh Hampton first saw the light of day in the Goon show, itself referred to as the Go On show by the upper floors at Broadcasting house.

It was Capt. Hugh Jampton (from the Scouse, "Don't get your Hampton caught!").

I don't think it's from Liverpool. I would think more Cockney, we don't really do rhyming slang up here. Particularly about places in London.

I've certainly never heard it said by anyone apart from old comedies on Radio Four Extra and The Two Ronnies. Where it's usually "Hampton Wick" rhyming slang for a male member.

Jason

How big was the loft trapdoor?

A friend once built a Mirror dinghy in his living room - and had to remove the bay window to get it out.

Ian

I knew a gentleman who built a full sized narrow boat in his metalwork factory, only it wasn't narrow enough to extract (without removing the gable end)...so he cut it in 2 and made it into the staff canteen...for all I know its still there...

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it's from Liverpool. I would think more Cockney, we don't really do rhyming slang up here. Particularly about places in London.

I've certainly never heard it said by anyone apart from old comedies on Radio Four Extra and The Two Ronnies. Where it's usually "Hampton Wick" rhyming slang for a male member.

Jason

By the same token, I believe "Berk" is also rhyming slang for Berkeley (or Berkshire) Hunt.

[Edit] And in Spike Milligan's war memoirs he recalls a character named Woodcock, who was always known as "Okehampton".

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1

Mike Hunt regularly appeared in Radio Active when the BBC eventually got to blue pencil the name as 'unacceptable' the production editor was advised it had been broadcast every week of the previous 5weeks the name made the edit

Humour offensive or not is in the mind of the listener or reader.

Anglia TV used to have a weatherman called Michael Hunt who insisted his name be read out in full.  There's a tale in the 40 Years of Anglia book that one night someone forgot...

My brother worked in a HiFi shop amongst whose customers was a one named Hugh Janus.

Cruelty or sheer naivety on the part of his parents.

// Simon

I knew a gentleman who built a full sized narrow boat in his metalwork factory, only it wasn't narrow enough to extract (without removing the gable end)...so he cut it in 2 and made it into the staff canteen...for all I know its still there...

Boats are old hat, dontcha know?

001.jpg

• Like 2

My brother worked in a HiFi shop amongst whose customers was a one named Hugh Janus.

// Simon

I did used to wonder if Mr and Mrs Orridge whose son went on to become an estate agent in Burton, with signs all over the place, deliberately gave him a name with an initial P just to be gruel.

In a interview about the Goon Show, Micheal Bentine said it was Hugh Jampton.

When Terry Wogan was on Radio 2 one of his TOGS used that name, but another one Terry always read out as "Mr Hucker, Rudolph". One TOG sent a comment to Jeremy Vine, who fell for it & read out "Hugh Jarse" on his show. IIRC he had to give out an apology the next day :D of course, Terry always claimed there were some people listening to the BBC, just "waiting to be offended" :rolleyes: ;)

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2

// Simon

there was an Ausie playing at Oldham RL by the name of wayne kerr much amusement was had at that name over the tannoy 

The Aussie comic Billy Birmingham made most of his money with the 12th man LPs making up comic names for sportsmen and wonen from around the world umpires strikesbach, Wayne King and Huge Jarce were always taking to the field.

The trouble with humour on layouts is it's quite hilarious the first time you see it, but after the forth time, and not necessarily on the same layout, it's a big yawn.

Sometimes, the subtle ones are the best.

For instance, a layout depicting a well-worn though unofficial path from the mess room to the nearest BRSA or pub...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I went to school with a Joe King.

He later changed his name because he was teased so much.....

.... To Rich King. I wonder if the short-sightedness was hereditary.

Hi

My wife was at school with someone called Bo King Lou.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Premium

..... wayne kerr ......

Well known electronics firm (and still going). IIRC they provided the original "touch screen" telephone concentrators in Liverpool St. IECC back in the early/mid 1980s - they didn't work very well initially, and we all thought they were aptly named.

Regards, Ian.