Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Those 'Doh' moments

So I have been selling stuff on Ebay recently trimming my OO collection, I am down to three items for sale which aren't shifting but I am not in a hurry to sell.

Anyway, one of the items is a set of three ex Big 4 wagons - one ex GW, one ex Southern and one ex Midland in BR bauxite.

I've found that wagons are the slowest of the slow movers on Ebay and I got to wondering what to do if these are the last items I end up with when I had the 'Doh' moment.

I am modelling Southern/GW so why am i even selling them, all I need to do is paint them back to their proper livery.

So who else has been ploughing a furrow when there was a blindingly obvious alternative.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I once spent ages testing for an annoying short circuit and was on the verge of tearing the last of my remaining hair out when I noticed a pair of long nose pliers lying across the track at the far end of the layout.

• RMweb Gold

I once had this on a 'new van. "Where's the rear foglight?"

I spent hours... "Where's the blasted switch?"

Finally, I gave up. I fitted a new foglamp, and proceeded to wire it in. Just at the point of the dashboard, a friend showed up, to see how I was getting on. On hearing my plight, my friend said "What, that one there?"

It was placed directly on the lightswitch stalk, in plain view....

Ho Hum

Ian.

• 3 weeks later...

I once spent ages testing for an annoying short circuit and was on the verge of tearing the last of my remaining hair out when I noticed a pair of long nose pliers lying across the track at the far end of the layout.

This happened to me but it was a small screw driver. I took all the droppers off the bus bar and reconnected them, then took them off again. Was on the point of throwing the power pack in the bin when I spotted said offending screwdriver.

That is 5 hours I wont get back.

Or spending hour looking for something, giving up and buying a new one, getting back and seeing it on the layout next to where you were working.

Another Doh! Is knocking a tub of ballast, scatter, paint over but that’s more clumsy than out else.

Mark

I know I am getting old, but during the "beast from the east" some time ago I put a bowl of soup into the microwave to heat up, pressed the timer settings and pushed the 'start' button - nothing. 

Assuming that I had accidentally done something wrong, I repeated the sequence and.... nothing. I started to mull over in my mind getting a replacement microwave, as this current one is quite old; but thought that I would give it one last try before resorting to a pan of soup on the cooker. 

The timer buttons beeped appropriately, but it was the start one which was dead. Only when I turned to walk away and get a saucepan out of the cupboard did I notice the microwave door was wide open....

Oooops. Problem solved.

Edited by jonny777

I knew someone once, obviously not me, who kept getting false and spurious signals from his newly acquired metal detector. It was only sometime later did he realise the steel toe caps of his boots may have had something to do with it.

Guy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Previously posted in the  'What makes you smile' thread:

"Went to the shop this morning as is usual on a Sunday. Thought today I'd pay with cash, so got a tenner out of my wallet and waved it at the contactless card reader..... "        

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This happened to me but it was a small screw driver. I took all the droppers off the bus bar and reconnected them, then took them off again. Was on the point of throwing the power pack in the bin when I spotted said offending screwdriver.

That is 5 hours I wont get back.

Or spending hour looking for something, giving up and buying a new one, getting back and seeing it on the layout next to where you were working.

Another Doh! Is knocking a tub of ballast, scatter, paint over but that’s more clumsy than out else.

Mark

I have got to the point where I will buy a replacement in order to locate the original.  Never fails.

• RMweb Premium

Previously posted in the  'What makes you smile' thread:

"Went to the shop this morning as is usual on a Sunday. Thought today I'd pay with cash, so got a tenner out of my wallet and waved it at the contactless card reader..... "        

In similar vain my wife mocks me endlessly after I got a paper map out whilst walking around Kew Gardens, and proceeded to 'pinch' it to attempt to zoom in.  :scratchhead:

Anyone who watches the Ashland railcam must be aware of "Ken" riding around on "his" bike. In fact I admit to keeping an eye out when I am watching.

Above my computor desk here at home I have a cctv monitor for the cameras around my bungalow. Every time I see a bike go by, I start thing "Ken"....

I should get out more.....

Stewart

Similar thing, spent ages looking for the short which hadn't been there when I built the point. The copperclad sleepering was gapped and tested on the bench then painted before laying. I thought it must be the dropper wires added before it was painted but no they weren't touching, looked along the track for any pliers, roller gauges etc, nothing. Then thought about the gap in the copper clad and scrutinized every gap, the second last sleeper on a 400mm long point had a tiny fleck of copper which came away with the tweesers and Hey Presto.... it all was working, lession learned, check again after washing the flux off and before painting.

40 points but only one problem.

Dave.