Beasts photos - ongoing - last update : 05 February 2019

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Just catching up on a couple of days-worth of your increasingly excellent postings. Going back to DAS000419 and the Down Home at Gobowen South, interesting to see the signal motor at the top of the signal post, not seen that before. Do you know if this was a "one-off" or were there other examples on the WR?

Regards, Ian.

Don't know any other examples but ...  - this was an upper quadrant conversion, on a platform, next to (and diagonally opposite the box) a level crossing - so not a common situation !

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Just catching up on a couple of days-worth of your increasingly excellent postings. Going back to DAS000419 and the Down Home at Gobowen South, interesting to see the signal motor at the top of the signal post, not seen that before. Do you know if this was a "one-off" or were there other examples on the WR?

Regards, Ian.

i think its because its a short signal (due to the sighting with the canopy) located on the platforn end next to the exit ramp the motor is above to stop the public 'meddling fingers' getting caught in the mechanism when its moving!

also the machynlleth signal pic your not sure about, yes it is but looking back towards the station from dovey jn direction

Edited by big jim

Apparently very popular from about the time Beeching wrote his list until privatisation.

Although it might just be that it rains so much over North Wales, that 24 hours with no train passing and the rust really takes hold..... 

;) Tin hat has been donned. 

Wow, what an interesting thread. Its got the lot, signalling, infrastructure, banger blue, and some nostalgia

Think, like others are saying, its of great interest, for getting small details right for our model railways and layouts.

More please, keep them coming, loving all the north Wales stuff, brings back many happy memories.

Regards Jeff

Edited by phixer64

• RMweb Gold

Right - you've all failed the test ...

No-one* noticed that every photo, no matter what date, was taken on a Wednesday

* includng me :blush:

I'm not going back to correct the captions, but while making some changes to my software this morning I noticed this - and corrected it.

• RMweb Gold

DAS000485
Port Sunlight
10/06/1977 (Friday)
Port Sunlight down starter, ex LNWR, once carrying Bebington down slow distant,  getting replaced by a tubular steel, nearer the box.
29462769947_f12e3fef0a_b.jpg
DAS000485 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

DAS000486
Port Sunlight
10/06/1977 (Friday)
Port Sunlight down starter, ex LNWR, once carrying Bebington down slow distant,  getting replaced by a tubular steel, nearer the box - arm removed
42590930230_e827f35dc0_b.jpg
DAS000486 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

DAS000487
Port Sunlight
10/06/1977 (Friday)
Port Sunlight down starter, ex LNWR, once carrying Bebington down slow distant,  getting replaced by a tubular steel, nearer the box - arm lowered
30531934488_d0ca49608b_b.jpg
DAS000487 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

DAS000488
Port Sunlight
10/06/1977 (Friday)
Port Sunlight down starter, ex LNWR, once carrying Bebington down slow distant,  getting replaced by a tubular steel, nearer the box - posing with arm
29462756347_331423b059_b.jpg
DAS000488 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

DAS000489
Port Sunlight
10/06/1977 (Friday)
Port Sunlight down starter, ex LNWR, once carrying Bebington down slow distant,  getting replaced by a tubular steel, nearer the box - ready for cutting down
43682640524_df209483f8_b.jpg
DAS000489 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

DAS000490
Port Sunlight
10/06/1977 (Friday)
tubular steel replacement for Port Sunlight down starter - signal from Canning Street North (Seacombe Branch home), positioned nearer the box, no arm
43492100925_2e60c17e6c_b.jpg
DAS000490 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful wonderful memories with this post #189 Dave. I am really glad you posted them.

I’m sure I have ‘pulled’ that signal, in the first photo DAS000499, many times. It was a LOT easier than that distant that crossed the barren triangle towards Glossop!

“Leander” looks absolutely magnificent in DAS000506.

My Great Uncle “Ab” was caretaker at Dinting Railway Centre for many years and I have looked closely at all these pictures but can not see him. I’m not surprised, he didn’t like crowds and would be shut himself away in his “Van” on days like this.

I have many happy memories of sitting in that caravan (DAS000514) watching the motion of large steam engines passing within feet of my pressed against his window nose.

Sadly, my Great Uncle Ab passed away this week and with your permission, Dave, I would like to re-post DAS000514 to our family group on WhatsApp.

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

DAS000508

Dinting

24/06/1977 (Friday)

5690, Leander, in LMS maroon at Dinting Railway Centre

42592646330_8cce10d719_b.jpg

DAS000508 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

DAS000509

Dinting

24/06/1977 (Friday)

6115, Scots Guardsman, in primer at Dinting Railway Centre

29464353807_a5f6dd2b6d_b.jpg

DAS000509 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

41 year old loco in 1977 and 41 years later 5690 is still trundling (mostly) around the North-West

And my mole tells me that 46115 will be back in steam before too long again, after completing a full strip down and boiler retube. (It's 10 year boiler ticket only expired last year.)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

Some wonderful sets of photos on these pages. NW England and N Wales - an area that I rarely visited mainly due to scarce finances (and I would tend to be halted by the 'delights' at Crewe). 

The photos from N Wales and Merseyside are giving me clues as to why my attempts to see all the 24s and 40s became difficult towards the end. I was probably not looking in the right places. :(

Thanks for posting all these photos, they are much appreciated. 

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful wonderful memories with this post #189 Dave. I am really glad you posted them.

I’m sure I have ‘pulled’ that signal, in the first photo DAS000499, many times. It was a LOT easier than that distant that crossed the barren triangle towards Glossop!

“Leander” looks absolutely magnificent in DAS000506.

My Great Uncle “Ab” was caretaker at Dinting Railway Centre for many years and I have looked closely at all these pictures but can not see him. I’m not surprised, he didn’t like crowds and would be shut himself away in his “Van” on days like this.

I have many happy memories of sitting in that caravan (DAS000514) watching the motion of large steam engines passing within feet of my pressed against his window nose.

Sadly, my Great Uncle Ab passed away this week and with your permission, Dave, I would like to re-post DAS000514 to our family group on WhatsApp.

Kev.

Thats sad news about your Uncle Kev. Feel free to use my photos on your family group in whichever way is best for you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What were the metal posts for at Birkenhead, did the shed roof once extend further or did they have another purpose?

The shed was cut back at some stage, the LNWR half of the shed was halved in 1951 when the diesel facilities were built but I think the roof was cut back later than that.

On 01/09/2018 at 13:07, woodenhead said:

What were the metal posts for at Birkenhead, did the shed roof once extend further or did they have another purpose?

The metal posts were lighting supports - I took this photo in 1973, which shows the set-up:

759299060_40s-201346.jpg.90ff128a00882f44e3324dafd5f2057d.jpg

Edited by billy_anorak59
  • Like 8