Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

It's hot!

Torper

• RMweb Gold

The two here are so "modern" and "economical" (yeah, right) that they need the assistance of an extra bucket to flush anything away.

The modern minimal flush toilets are just right. Research showed that urine disposal is the largest use by far, at about 6-1 by ratio, per flush. That's how we've ended up with short flush systems. Remember the 'bags' issued by the water board? The occasional bucket is needed to take away the larger detritus caused by the normal work cycle of the human body, but it's mostly liquid. If you add a drop of disinfectant with it, "Your poo smells new".

Sorry for the potty humour...

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry

I must say I'm rather enjoying this hot spell.

For those that don't like it, don't worry - it will surely be over soon.

For those of us that do like it, bad luck - it will surely be over soon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It hath gloomed over in Torbay this morning, with a few spots of rain. Anecdotally it is raining in Cornwall. Home in France, where I return on Tuesday, is promised storms and rain for much of this week.

• RMweb Premium

We take water for granted in this country. One of the greatest threats to the world is water shortage and the consequenses. I think someone made a film about that senario?

In 1976 I was a youngster with a young family and it was the year we started camping holidays.......lovely. At one campsite in Cumbria, next to the Settle Carlisle, a gang of blokes from the site, including me, prevented tragedy by pissing on sleepers that had been set alight by brake sparks from a downhill freight; Class 40 I seem to remember. That stopped a blaze until proper water facilities arrived from the swimming pool I seem to remember. 

I never really bothered about really hot weather (except for sheltering from direct sun) until a few years back when a bit of a heart 'do' and from then on I have found any longer periods of hot stuff to be quite challenging. Hey ho, enjoy it while you can to all those that like it.

• RMweb Gold

We take water for granted in this country. One of the greatest threats to the world is water shortage and the consequenses. I think someone made a film about that senario?

In 1976 I was a youngster with a young family and it was the year we started camping holidays.......lovely. At one campsite in Cumbria, next to the Settle Carlisle, a gang of blokes from the site, including me, prevented tragedy by pissing on sleepers that had been set alight by brake sparks from a downhill freight; Class 40 I seem to remember. That stopped a blaze until proper water facilities arrived from the swimming pool I seem to remember. 

I never really bothered about really hot weather (except for sheltering from direct sun) until a few years back when a bit of a heart 'do' and from then on I have found any longer periods of hot stuff to be quite challenging. Hey ho, enjoy it while you can to all those that like it.

Every bit of water which has ever existed is still out there somewhere, there are just more things to do with it!

Mike.

• Like 1

Although given the predicted sea level rises, many overpopulated coastal/estuary cities (London included) will have so much water lapping around their skyscrapers in a couple of decades, they will not know what to do with it. 

Useful for pre-conditioning Pete?

I think I'm already pre-conditioned, Mike. You forget I used to live here...

post-17811-0-05310900-1530436783.jpg

...nothing but sun, sea, sand, rock, dust and camels. Lots of camels. That reminds me - you haven't met the mother-in-law yet, have you?

• RMweb Premium

Every bit of water which has ever existed is still out there somewhere, there are just more things to do with it!

Mike.

Sadly an increasing percentage, is so badly polluted, its unusable.

• RMweb Premium

Today's bike ride was a bit warm. Took a mainly easy and transport-historical route after a big climb out of Hayfield.

Peak Forest Tramway to Bugsworth Basin followed by Peak Forest Canal to Disley. Across Lyme Park (refreshment stop) to the Middlewood Way formerly known as the Macclesfield, Bollington and Marple Railway, then Macclesfield Canal and Peak Forest Canal back to New Mills and the Sett Valley Trail formerley the Hayfield Branch back to the start.

When I looked at the download of the ride stats the average temperature was just over 27C, with a minimum in a breeze under the trees in Lyme Park of 23C and a maximum in open sun on the canal bank around noon of 33C.

I went some of that exact route yesterday, although only the bit between my house and the nearest pub.

• RMweb Premium

Here in the far North West of England (land of becks, tarns and lakes let alone the highest annual rain fall in England) we have just been warned that if we don't reduce our water usage a hose pipe ban will be invoked as early as next week. Its only been sunny for a week and United Utilities are running short?

It doesn't bode well for the dryer areas of the county. We'll all have to drink beer instead, I hear you say, but there's a problem there as well - no CO2

Near Manchester here (edge of the Peak District, not exactly an area known for its dry weather - thankfully not the bit on fire though) although it's only been hot for a week there's only been one heavy downpour and that's it in the last two months. I'm not sure what the hosepipe situation is, for some odd reason it's Severn Trent here (but UU for sewerage), despite the nearest upstream reservoirs being UU. I had a walk around them last week, a bit down but not exceptionally so, but there is the rest of summer to get through.

• RMweb Premium

Mike.

What about the dead bodies wot were 90% water? I suppose they have contributed to the eco system but I don't think the water is still there from them Shirly? :O

B.U. Rial

. I'm not sure what the hosepipe situation is, for some odd reason it's Severn Trent here (but UU for sewerage), despite the nearest upstream reservoirs being UU.

Reservoirs may not necessarily serve downstream properties but instead outflows piped across country to serve completely different properties.

Reservoirs may not necessarily serve downstream properties but instead outflows piped across country to serve completely different properties.

Like Thirlmere in Cumbria, which serves Manchester.

YES, first good drop of rain, first appreciable amount since the end of May, the Winterborne stopped flowing 3 weeks ago. The place stinks of newly wet hot dust. And Dorset on Countryfile, wont need to water the garden tonight. :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

What about the dead bodies wot were 90% water? I suppose they have contributed to the eco system but I don't think the water is still there from them Shirly? :O

B.U. Rial

As I said, still out there somewhere, I didn't say immediately accessible and usable!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

YES, first good drop of rain, first appreciable amount since the end of May, the Winterborne stopped flowing 3 weeks ago. The place stinks of newly wet hot dust. And Dorset on Countryfile, wont need to water the garden tonight. :sungum:

Lucky you (can't believe I'm saying "lucky" to someone with rain!) My lawn is looking a bit brown. I somewhat cheekily refilled the water butts from the tap not long before they started asking people to cut down at least, so there's still a fair bit left.

Lucky you (can't believe I'm saying "lucky" to someone with rain!) My lawn is looking a bit brown. I somewhat cheekily refilled the water butts from the tap not long before they started asking people to cut down at least, so there's still a fair bit left.

Can you now go and clean the windows and wash your car/s to guarantee rain!

• RMweb Premium

I see this glorious weather as a vindication and reward for all those years of effort combusting hydrocarbons, using as much energy as I can and using as many CFC aerosols as I can. If we all stand together and pump as many GHGs into the air as we can then every day could be hot, y'all know it makes sense.

• Like 1

When I first arrived in Perth a couple of decades ago I was astounded at how profligate with water West Australians were. Considering we're on the edge of what is, effectively, one enormous desert, chucking it about as indiscriminately as was being done at the time seemed a little unwise.

Even though things have changed a bit, thanks to increasing costs and relentess government campaigns, its still coming back to bite us as South West WA becomes both hotter and drier. The reservoirs will probably never be full again and the groundwater which forms the main source of supply is being depleted. Mind you, if rainfall ever did return to earlier levels much of Perth would return to its natural state;a low lying, sandy swamp.