• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Feels a bit low - needs to be visible from 11’6” above rail level (i.e. standing on the footplate).

You may not need to go for the full 18mm sink hole though.

Paul.

This is with the arm significantly lower, 12ft-6” above the rails, I’ve tried to take the photo with my phone held higher*

D03C0BE6-233B-43D5-9A98-AC0FEE7842CB.jpeg.50fdf4691ce9a52f51ea19fca9839042.jpeg

*best I can do whilst standing on a stool, phone upside down using the front facing camera

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

That looks okay to me. Just my observation regarding the balance weight on the signal on the platform. I believe it should be well up the post so as to not bash any passenger who happens to be in the vicinity when it operates.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

….Just my observation regarding the balance weight on the signal on the platform. I believe it should be well up the post so as to not bash any passenger who happens to be in the vicinity when it operates.

In that case the best excuse I can come up with is that passengers are not allowed that far so if they get hurt they only have themselves to blame :lol: pre-health and safety :D

I’d never make it as a H&S inspector 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Go on, make it have it!

I think that the 'wrong' side of the bridge will make a great photo vantage point when the layout is complete.

it’s just a shame the wrong side of the bridge is such a mess, never intended for it to be seen :blush:

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I wish Sarah had taken a photo of that!

Al.

If she had seen me I’m sure she would have taken a photo…..once she had finished laughing at me :D

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

You forgot to say on one leg and holding a torch in the other hand.:P

You’re not far off, I was standing on one leg, hanging over the layout. Didn’t need a torch, I’d got the flash turned on :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

it’s just a shame the wrong side of the bridge is such a mess, never intended for it to be seen :blush:

A coat of matt black on the back and you have a ready made frame for your arty shots...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I wasn't being entirely serious in my photo frame suggestion you know! :onthequiet:

Now you tell me

286A8922-789B-482B-8881-83B206315D4F.jpeg.d7c9c057ece60a08fd4183bce660f2de.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Piece of card cut to shape and painted black. Can be removed or left in place.

interesting

• Like 8

The card mask is a good idea though, I remembered what a tight space the track disappears into and thought that it might not be practical to take much in the way of photos through the bridge. But it looks like you will manage just fine.

Edited by MrWolf
Boiled cabbage internet
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

This is with the arm significantly lower, 12ft-6” above the rails, I’ve tried to take the photo with my phone held higher*

D03C0BE6-233B-43D5-9A98-AC0FEE7842CB.jpeg.50fdf4691ce9a52f51ea19fca9839042.jpeg

*best I can do whilst standing on a stool, phone upside down using the front facing camera

That looks good :)

15 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Just my observation regarding the balance weight on the signal on the platform. I believe it should be well up the post so as to not bash any passenger who happens to be in the vicinity when it operates.

Passengers wouldn't be allowed onto the ramp - probably a nice cast iron sign at the top of the ramp saying "passengers must not pass this point" or words to that effect. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/08/2021 at 16:33, MrWolf said:

Probably just dirty up the ballast at the bottom of the wall, it would rarely be disturbed, but steam and soot would run down the brickwork, especially under the arch.

something like this….

5A5B641E-DCB9-455A-A1BB-7FCE29231E3A.jpeg.fa555979917dbcfe9433e019f340414d.jpeg

….?

what about a little foliage at the base of the wing wall?

• Like 9

I expect that there might be a few small weeds at the base of the wall, but from what I can tell, the GWR were pretty regular with the weedkiller trains. Things got an awful lot untidier in the post steam engine era, before that, the lineside was kept pretty clear of flammable undergrowth.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I expect that there might be a few small weeds at the base of the wall, but from what I can tell, the GWR were pretty regular with the weedkiller trains. Things got an awful lot untidier in the post steam engine era, before that, the lineside was kept pretty clear of flammable undergrowth.

I was thinking something like this

C8643ED8-527A-43FC-91E7-A51D6FC7D2F4.jpeg.a1769a93342ce111e679dfeb332df1b3.jpeg

or this

AB914642-99A6-44A7-94D0-073488FFDDD3.jpeg.1c188214fe70e519f75da3a1c24a94db.jpeg

?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

If you were modelling a later period I would do as you suggest, but I think Rob has a valid point, if you look at period photos of the 30s, they were fanatical about weed clearing and general tidiness, so if there were any growth along the bottom of the wall it would be minimal.

Al.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I like the top picture, it looks more natural. You wouldn't get anything under the bridge itself, much too dark and polluted!

I'm sure that there's someone who knows just how much in the way of weeds was tolerated! :D

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for everyone’s input, appreciated

It was more about whether to use the lighter or darker material, I have to agree I prefer the lighter green.

As for being uniform and too much I could remedy that as it’s not glued in place

I’m more than happy to leave it as it is, I was just concerned I was too neat

• Friendly/supportive 2