• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You're right, nature's messy, it doesn't do herbaceous borders :jester:

I’m more than happy to leave it alone without any foliage, one less thing to do.

hope I’ve not gone overboard with the weathering at the base because if I have I’m knackered 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyway I’m looking at doing something like this for lowering the signal without having to modify the inner workings

9728F813-C270-4048-8DDA-214613A7C7B6.jpeg.9982ff20524023223f34f9b8d1469838.jpeg

then buried in a rectangular hole in the baseboard……in theory!

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s 50mm (12’ 6”) top of rail to centre of the lamp, is that okay?

C8CB7E01-A4EA-4ECB-B82B-02244B6FC1AC.jpeg.61a53bda7fb599c63b2a7f90b198a19a.jpeg

I’ve got to trim off the silly rings around the post, repaint it and paint the bottom of the post black but it should work and be clearly seen from the other side of the road bridge, I need to reduce the arm to 4’ too

I don’t intend on having the signal coming up through the track before anyone says anything :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Could you cut the top off the post and extend it, so it looks like a normal size post but with the signal low down?

Al.

possibly, I take it doing what I’d done isn’t correct?

• RMweb Gold
Just now, chuffinghell said:

possibly, I take it doing what I’d done isn’t correct?

I certainly wouldn't say it's not correct, what you have done is great, it's just a feeling that they wouldn't have a stunted signal post, it just feels wrong to me. But I'm not in any way a signalling expert, nor a GWR expert.

Try a mockup as you have done before both ways and see what you think.

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I'm not in any way a signalling expert, nor a GWR expert.

This might help me and maybe interesting for others

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/s4_kw1.pdf

I'll print it off tomorrow, trying to read it on my phone is difficult with tired eyes :blush:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

It’s 50mm (12’ 6”) top of rail to centre of the lamp, is that okay?

Yes.

When you've got the paint brushes out, make the stripes on the arms wider - scale 8" or 3mm is near enough.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes.

When you've got the paint brushes out, make the stripes on the arms wider - scale 8" or 3mm is near enough.

I think I’ve got to make it shorter too (4’) because it’s under 26’ :scratchhead:

3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Thanks Stu :good:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I think I’ve got to make it shorter too (4’) because it’s under 21’

The 4ft refers to the arm itself (the red bit) not the whole thing. You will be fine as it is.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

There is I think nothing wrong with a short signal at footplate/cab type height. But I would query - sorry - it’s placement directly behind a bridge without a taller repeater. What I mean is that I think, but am not sure, that this would be a very tall signal with an arm above the bridge and sighted from the other side, with the lower arm connected together for close sighting. You often see signals like this on long open stretches of mainline. Tall one for early warning, lower for when near.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Izzy said:

There is I think nothing wrong with a short signal at footplate/cab type height. But I would query - sorry - it’s placement directly behind a bridge without a taller repeater. What I mean is that I think, but am not sure, that this would be a very tall signal with an arm above the bridge and sighted from the other side, with the lower arm connected together for close sighting. You often see signals like this on long open stretches of mainline. Tall one for early warning, lower for when near.

Not so common on the Western or on branch lines though. What Chris is doing will look fine from a model railway perspective. The non-existent off-stage banner repeater solves the sighting question.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Had it not been a terminus, I would have been uneasy about the poor sighting.  With a speed limit of no more than 15mph as it is a terminus the sighting would be good enough, especially if the gradient were gently down towards the station.  (Cue suitable gradient marker Chris!)

5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Not so common on the Western or on branch lines though. What Chris is doing will look fine from a model railway perspective. The non-existent off-stage banner repeater solves the sighting question.

Hadn’t thought about co-acting signals being less common on (G)WR: interesting!  So reflecting on that, I can think of a number of places where GWR put in banner signals to give advance warning of the position of a poorly sighted signal.  Wolverhampton Low Level (the basis for Heath Town) has two, although co-acting arms wouldn’t have helped in either case there.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The 4ft refers to the arm itself (the red bit) not the whole thing. You will be fine as it is.

Thanks for that

EDIT having measured the arm it measures 16mm(ish) so it's already 4' long. Good job I'd not already hacked at it :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell
additional
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2