45134 Progress

Evening, Below are some photos of the loco now with it's blue coat! I hope you will agree that the etch better represents the side grilles showing off the loco framing behind.

IMG_3137.JPG.4425d7fb39639778f6ab78efe0cb9b66.JPG

IMG_3138.JPG.d701afe2ec5952732a1597926c40f3c0.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG.4519dcaf915122d2bf6323d9e2e089b9.JPG

Although not completely apparent I have painted the sides of the chassis block rail grey so that the 'engine block' is more visibly apparent behind the grilles and loco framing, perhaps most noticeable in the photo above.

IMG_3140.JPG.6a028d13d6410f782d2fd7fbf724c2ce.JPG

I am looking forward to add detail painting, handrails for example, glazing, adding transfers and most importantly weathering.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Evening everyone, yes it's slow progress with the Peak. It is transferred up as you can see below and I have deliberately slopped a little dirt on the grilles and exhaust. Next will be to study some photos of prototypes and decide a plan of attack for weathering down... 

IMG_3149.JPG.c82b0250b3129350545f9af18cb21306.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG.c6766265862e4f984a16270d2904935e.JPG

Oh would you look at that roof grille. Delicate etches demand careful loco handling... what baffoon has bent that...oh that'll be me then!

When I had the grilles etched they were in brass lessons learnt since then, most of my etches are nickel silver these days which is much stronger! 

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Funny 1

It looks amazing now that the detail is more three dimensional, the loco seems to have a lot more ‘presence’ somehow.

Will it be possible to straighten out the grille over the fan, or is it just a bit too delicate to pull it out slightly?

To be fair I probably wouldn’t have noticed it if you hadn’t mentioned it…

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Last Weekend we had a running day on Shirebrook. I did intend to film several clips of the layout in operation... however we had such a good session ... I just forgot.

I did one and include a link to it here to view on Youtube.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Last Weekend we had a running day on Shirebrook. I did intend to film several clips of the layout in operation... however we had such a good session ... I just forgot.

I did one and include a link to it here to view on Youtube.

Cheers

Duncan

Yes, it was a very good day. I must remember my yoga sessions ready for the next one!😀

• Funny 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Shirebrook will be at Scarborough District Railway Modellers Pickering Show .

This will be our first outing since Covid. Please come along and have a chat.

I have taken summer off from model making , however upon checking the stock to take to the show I came across some unweathered Revolution PCVs, immediate action was required.

In addition to my normal air brush weathering techniques I used talcum powder to try to recreate the crusty appearance of the prototypes where cement dust has become wet and built up on the tanks...

what do you think about the effect?

1067650225_pcv1.jpg.16e31061e4695e1dcd251975460fb0f1.jpg

pcv2.jpg.9b7af951b3b6afb9d0bb86370d88ac03.jpg

pcv3.jpg.5992006cb318ea19a1eb9ef9f988498c.jpg

I worked from prototype photos as usual.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I like the texture 👍, it looks especially good in the top and bottom photo to me. I like how they look weathered and well used, but somehow still subtle.

I'm sure the middle one is also very prototypical and matches reality well (and is by no means a disaster, for most of us being able to weather at a level that would be the best/favorite of the batch!), but it's just a personal preference to like what you've done there on the upper and lower better. 

I hope you enjoy the show at the weekend. 

All the best,

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/05/2022 at 05:44, Duncan. said:

Class 45 weathering.

Hi everyone,

This posting will be the first  update from my new phone. What could possibly go wrong!

20220512_203835.jpg.d5f8e9e1f4ea46d94ab6a347db8cfda3.jpg

I have weathered the model, some of the glazing needs adjustment, and a final varnish will complete this loco.

20220512_203720.jpg.6425c98307ea570a7e0e6dff74d2399d.jpg

Cheers

Duncan

That is absolutely brilliant...........the Peaks as I remember them in the very late sixties, how on earth do you achieve that in N.

Rgds..........Mike

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mike for your kind remarks. You ask a simple question but I can't give a simple answer. As you can see in this thread above I make some of my own detailling parts. I paint the model using an air brush. The loco has been weathered with an airbrush. All work is carried out carefully, but no more so than working in larger scales a pissed grille for example will look bad in any scale.

I work from prototype photos and paint what I see not what I know.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

I like the texture 👍, it looks especially good in the top and bottom photo to me. I like how they look weathered and well used, but somehow still subtle.

I'm sure the middle one is also very prototypical and matches reality well (and is by no means a disaster, for most of us being able to weather at a level that would be the best/favorite of the batch!), but it's just a personal preference to like what you've done there on the upper and lower better.

It may just be the lighting, but it does look a little too white for cement on my monitor.

I have a load of cement tankers of different types to do at some point, and if I can get somewhere near that look I will be happy though. Will have to dig out an old Rail Express that had an article on cement tank weathering for tips beforehand....

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Davexoc said:

It may just be the lighting, but it does look a little too white for cement on my monitor.

Hi, Yes on the heavily weathered wagon it does look a little too white. I will try to tone down a bit, it is a subtle process and easy to go too far the other way. I am pleased with the effect overall on my 9 PCV wagons

Cheers

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

What did you use to bond the talc to the tankers?

I patch sprayed the tankers with matt varnish, much heavier than normal. then sieved talc over the wet varnish. I did this after I had weathered the tankers with the airbrush in the normal way and left to dry for 24 hours.

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was a real pleasure to be part of the team running Shirebrook this weekend at the Pickering exhibition. Photos to follow, but my sincere thanks to the whole team for making me feel very welcome.

I very much look forward to helping exhibit the layout at Wigan.

• Friendly/supportive 1