Shirebrook Junction

Here are a couple of photos of 37167 and 58017 at Shirebrook Junction. The first two show 37167 negotiating the junction with a short train of holdall vans coming from the Tuxford/Clipstone direction.

IMG_3076.JPG.201a8d64541c49a7a59241faae60339b.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG.8f51887cdd81ed177105c684276ae7c8.JPG

Below 37167 is on the return run to Tuxford with PCA cement tanks. Meanwhile 58017 is returning to Shirebrook  Depot light for refuellinf and an A exam.

IMG_3082.JPG.ad495ca19fa5d5464913299d5294808a.JPG

Cheers

Duncan 

• Like 18

That’s really well done Duncan.

You’d think from the photos that the lines go in very different directions. It just goes to show that with a bit planning you can draw the eye in a direction that makes a scene feel a lot bigger than it actually is.

To be fair it’s like every scene on your railway - you take a first look and think oh that’s good, and then you look again and see even more.

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Running Day Video?

Hi,

Well I thought I would try a video here's the link

and here's another. I'll need a rest now!

Please be kind in your comments I will try to improve!

Cheers

Duncan

It’s really nice to see it running.
Did you film it on a phone Duncan? I’ve got a couple of ideas that might be useful.

4 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

It’s really nice to see it running.
Did you film it on a phone Duncan? I’ve got a couple of ideas that might be useful.

Hi Nick,

No I used my Canon DSLR camera... does that make a difference?

9 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Nick,

No I used my Canon DSLR camera... does that make a difference?

I mean I’m no photographer but what I find works well when I make videos on the phone (and I imagine that it’s a similar situation) is to take a step back and then zoom in. 
For some reason in a smaller scale like N it seems to give it a lot more presence.

I’ve just taken these two to show what I mean:

Standard:

E162DC7F-7C0A-4319-87E8-0A2E65773FD7.jpeg.a71f117a0a1fd026df2a02b323c06e10.jpeg

and then taken from further back but zoomed in:

5CB11BA6-65BD-4D0D-A99C-E4CE3C835929.jpeg

Edited by Cowley 47521
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

I mean I’m no photographer but what I find works well when I make videos on the phone (and I imagine that it’s a similar situation) is to take a step back and then zoom in. 
For some reason in a smaller scale like N it seems to give it a lot more presence.

Standard:

There's a good reason for this improvement and and it's just simple maths (beautiful layout by the way)

Depth of field is about focus at a distance +/- from the subject.  In the first image, I'm going to guess the loco is 1' away and the trees behind, 2'.  In the second, the distances are maybe 2' and 3'.  Therefore the relative distance of the trees is only 50% further compared to 100%.  If you were to stand on the opposite side of the room, it might be 10% and the whole layout would be in focus (but obviously you'd have a much grainier image).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, branchie said:

Stunning model Duncan. Never fails to impress me.

Hope all is well.

Nice to hear from you Branchie. I hope all is well with you too. I hope you can come along to Wigan in October.

Cheers

Duncan

1 hour ago, Padishar Creel said:

So looking forward to Oktober. Is the Wigan still expected to take place, as of now?

es grüßt

pc 

Morning PC, Book your flight! I had confirmation from the Wigan Show Manager yesterday!

Cheers

Duncan

• Round of applause 1

9 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Standard:

8 hours ago, Northmoor said:

There's a good reason for this improvement and and it's just simple maths (beautiful layout by the way)

Depth of field is about focus at a distance +/- from the subject.  In the first image, I'm going to guess the loco is 1' away and the trees behind, 2'.  In the second, the distances are maybe 2' and 3'.  Therefore the relative distance of the trees is only 50% further compared to 100%.  If you were to stand on the opposite side of the room, it might be 10% and the whole layout would be in focus (but obviously you'd have a much grainier image).

Thank You Both. The layout will be running again today. I will try some more videos and post any that are OK

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Another top video Duncan. Did you record that one differently? The depth of field looks greatly improved (in my opinion at least) compared to the previous two. 

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

This video was recorded on my son's phone Sony Experia 10. I will try to upload some other videos he took on his phone later.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

More running day videos for your enjoyment.

Below are some videos giving an idea of everyday operations on the layout. 

This video was taken with my digital dslr camera so I'm sorry the depth of field is limited.

Back to a video captured on my son's phone and a better depth of field

We have had a really enjoyable couple of days operating the layout. There will further operating days latter in the year. If you would like to come along please PM me to reserve a place. I will announce operating days in advance when dates have been decided. The next one will be late April or early May. 

Thanks to the helpers who assisted me in packing the layout away and Janet for providing lunch and drinks to our guests today

Cheers

Duncan 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi,

Thought I would upload this photograph. I like it a lot. 56070 rolls a MGR service through the station at Shirebrook

Cheers

Duncan

1799464268_56station.jpg.8c2d41fd832020c045592ebb2a3406fe.jpg

Always impressed when someone has modelled carparks (or roads generally for that matter) and done it well to make it look like a believable backdrop. Not easy to do. Cracking stuff as always. 

All the best,

Dave 

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Always impressed when someone has modelled carparks (or roads generally for that matter) and done it well to make it look like a believable backdrop. Not easy to do. Cracking stuff as always. 

All the best,

Dave 

Especially when 1980s vehicles are not that easy to find in this scale!

• Agree 1