• 2 weeks later...

A few photos from todays exhibition at the DEMU, Sutton Coldfield. A very pleasant running day, with lots of comments from visitors who know the actual location. 

IMG_2871.jpeg

Edited by Andy_C
  • Like 16

Hi,

The new developments at Shirebrook  are working signals. The layout operators have the ability to clear signals from the control panel... miniature magnets fitted to the rolling stock trigger very small dry reed switches to return the signal to stop position. 

The junction signal at the end of the downside platform is only partially  working, I need to do more work get working fully.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It was all commers day today at Shirebrook. Essentially  the layout was set up to test everything  in preparation for the forth coming show at Barnsley  in November. Some of the operating team brought their own stock along. We had the brand new class 128 from Revolution,  a beautifully  smooth and confident chassis, well done Revolution. A4s aplenty,Minitrix, Farish and Dapol with the Dapol model our favourite. A beautiful rake of 12 different pullmans. I gave my second class 25 a run, repainted from a BR two tone green example. Now we can double head with a pair of 25s. We also ran a 9F and the EFE J94, so a real mixed bag. I hope some of you will be able to view the layout at the Barnsley  show.

Cheers Duncan 

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Shirebrook Exhibition News

Season's Greetings to all readers of this thread.

2024 will be the last year I take Shirebrook on the road. If anyone is interested the layout is for sale along with the majority of the rolling stock.

Being based in the north of the country most of our  outings have been in the north. Our last two shows will see us venture further south, in August we will be at the Loughborough show, while in September we will for our last exhibition, and I think fittingly, be at TINGS 2024. I hope those of you based in the south will make the journey to the Warwickshire Event Centre, Royal Leamington Spa next September.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

8 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Duncan,

What is the size (length/width) of the layout?  Sorry to hear your selling ... but assuming you have a new project up your sleeve?

Rich

Hi Rich, yes a project still very much at the planing stage!

Shirebrook  is 21ft by 7ft 6in

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hello Mr Creel 

I think will have to disapoint Mr Makenzie and yourself, let's say I am going for something much smaller of a different era, DCC cotrolled, the prototype using a different power source.

I suggested Westhouses shed, and as an option Nottingham Victoria. Both binned very quickly. 🥵

• Like 1

Hi,

Here is the proposed plan for the new layout. I won't be postng any more info about it in this thread. I will start a new thread for it in the new year.

SmallSidingsModel(1).jpg.bedf583d2adfe48f6702b1c5f2349016.jpg

Blue numbers show elevations... those of you that are sharp eyed will notice that the through line is on a continously falling gradient.

It will be set in the second half of the 1960s based on a prototype near Bolton Lancashire, so will feature early diesels and the reminants of steam- oh no there I've said it!

Seasons Greetings

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Blue numbers show elevations... those of you that are sharp eyed will notice that the through line is on a continously falling gradient.

That's about a 1 in 51 falling gradient on the single line at the front of the model (right to left)

• Like 4

Hi Duncan, 

Sad to hear you're moving Shirebrook on, I'll look forward to seeing it at TINGS next year though. 

The new project looks like a fascinating plan, the track plan is brilliant and 1 in 51 is quite a gradient, I think the steepest I've driven big trains over is 1 in 59. It's even further from my modelling era than Shirebrook, but I look forward to seeing your modelling bring it to life. I'll keep an eye out for the new thread.

All the best

Jo

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1