3 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Duncan,

Wow! That really looks the business, well done.

That can’t be the same model that Farish brought out in the eighties, can it? I’m guessing it’s been updated, as per the 4mm model.

Cheers,

John 

Hi John,

No it is the newer more recent tooling. It came out in 2017 or 2018 I think.

Cheers

Duncan

• Thanks 1

On 26/02/2022 at 17:28, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Duncan,

Wow! That really looks the business, well done.

That can’t be the same model that Farish brought out in the eighties, can it? I’m guessing it’s been updated, as per the 4mm model.

Cheers,

John 

Farish even treated us to a split headcode 40 this time around which I have still to get my mits on.

• Informative/Useful 1

One loco two faces- a new project for Shirebrook

Last year @Colin very kindly sold me a class 45 loco centre headcode version with a spare split centre headcode body. After much research I think the last split centre headcode 45 running on the network was 45036, in fact I think it was withdrawn without modification.

The picture below was sent to me but apologies to the owner I have no details of who to credit.

The loco looks it is very close to withdrawal, I will be modelling my example in slightly less grubby condition!

The centre headcode body will become an unnamed class 45/1  so it can head up my MK2 MK1 'Master Cutler set. Any suggestions for a suitable number anybody?

The centre split headcode model started off in green livery

I used precision model stripper to remove the factory finish. I did the same with the centre headcode body. This body was in BR all over blue livery but as I will be adding some of my own etches to both of the bodies  it will be best to have a clean base.

A tip for you if you are intending to respray a loco, don't forget to repaint the bogies. Why you ask they are black, well yes the bogies as supplied by the factory are black but  unpainted black plastic. The bogies look so much better when sprayed black, and when weathered the difference is even more noticeable.

So here we go, a couple of bodies a chassis and some etches.

I will update over the next few weeks as work progresses.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_3123 (2).JPG

IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3115.JPG

Edited by Duncan.
re load photos
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

The centre headcode body will become an unnamed class 45/1  so it can head up my MK2 MK1 'Master Cutler set. Any suggestions for a suitable number anybody?

Not many to choose from in the early 80s, but I think you can go for 109, 121 or 134. Looks like 1982 might be the latest on 134. 121 carried the green livery style grey/white side stripes at that time, and 109 may have lost the centre headcode around '81.....

That is if the dates on the pics on Railway Herald are correct.

As for 45036, that does appear to be the last, similar photos at Toton and March show the same end with the dots offset to the same side at that end, but the other end a couple of years earlier shows the dots to the outside, as normally displayed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

One loco two faces- a new project for Shirebrook

Last year @Colin very kindly sold me a class 45 loco centre headcode version with a spare split centre headcode body. After much research I think the last split centre headcode 45 running on the network was 45036, in fact I think it was withdrawn without modification.

The picture below was sent to me but apologies to the owner I have no details of who to credit.

6880643776_b57cb6829e_o.jpg.71529c9ed9b58fce3728abad3233b6b4.jpg

The loco looks it is very close to withdrawal, I will be modelling my example in slightly less grubby condition!

The centre split headcode model started off in green livery

IMG_3115.JPG.106c8ef87e8b1e62f231a84e18167c88.JPG

I used precision model stripper to remove the factory finish. I did the same with the centre headcode body. This body was in BR all over blue livery but as I will be adding some of my own etches to both of the bodies  it will be best to have a clean base.

353013349_IMG_3123(2).JPG.c7bb3ad54ac20979f7e5d80c12aee581.JPG

A tip for you if you are intending to respray a loco, don't forget to repaint the bogies. Why you ask they are black, well yes the bogies as supplied by the factory are black but  unpainted black plastic. The bogies look so much better when sprayed black, and when weathered the difference is even more noticeable.

So here we go, a couple of bodies a chassis and some etches.

IMG_3123.JPG.c88501ec8b684a60dc6b793655ad96d6.JPG

I will update over the next few weeks as work progresses.

Cheers

Duncan

Really looking forward to seeing how you go about this Duncan. Will you be replicating the way 45036 seems to be looking to the side? 
Actually there’s a photo online where the dots look even more wonky but it might look a bit strange in model form!

11 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Really looking forward to seeing how you go about this Duncan. Will you be replicating the way 45036 seems to be looking to the side? 
Actually there’s a photo online where the dots look even more wonky but it might look a bit strange in model form!

I am not sure Nick, it may look strange in model form... or an error, I may have to have a copy of the prototype to hand at all times! I have lots to do before I get to that stage!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

On 11/03/2022 at 21:52, Davexoc said:

Not many to choose from in the early 80s, but I think you can go for 109, 121 or 134. Looks like 1982 might be the latest on 134. 121 carried the green livery style grey/white side stripes at that time, and 109 may have lost the centre headcode around '81.....

I have decided to go for 134 Dave. I have seen photos of the loco with a domino hc until quite late in 1982. That date is at the early end of the timespan covered on Shirebrook so that's OK. I have an eth 47 for later workings... perhaps I should have an original liveried HST also... perhaps I can encourage one of the operating team to get one.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2

Just visited this thread for the first time. A  fantastic layout,  brings back great memories of visiting this shed. It was particularly memorable,  occurring as it did, during the early hours, back in 1988. That night / early morning my mate and I, also went around, Buxton and Toton.
Looking forward to seeing the Peak being worked on, my favourite diesel type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi 46256,

Please see my class 44 conversion/detailing project starting on page 38 of this thread. I was very happy with the result especially as it had the unusual vertical pattern bodyside grilles.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 46256 said:

Looking forward to seeing the Peak being worked on, my favourite diesel type.

Hi 46256,

Please see my class 44 conversion/detailing project starting on page 38 of this thread. I was very happy with the result especially as it had the unusual vertical pattern bodyside grilles.

Cheers

Duncan

Sorry missed off your quote on posting above!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hearts1874 said:

where did you get the etches please

Hi,

Do you mean the class 44 vertical bodyside etches or the 45 etches- roof and standard bodyside etches?

Edited by Duncan.
Additional text

Good morning Duncan, my own collection of class 44, 45 and 46 in 4 mm is numerous. In respect of class 44 have most of the class including D9 with its different noses, and D10 in unlined green which it wore briefly about 1969. In both cases with the differing side grilles you mention. I never thought I would be nostalgic for the class 58 s, but seeing yours on the MGR trains. My mate, mentioned earlier, and I befriended a number of staff at Saltley depot. They allowed us to travel up and down the depot yard, with them, on the footplate, at night,  whilst they manoeuvred the parked locomotives ready for their next duties. I saw all the class 58s except number 30 and 50 do they still exist? I still keep in touch with my train spotting friends and go on occasional trips with them still, however my main enthusiasm is now modelling. My layout Water Orton depicts that station as it was about 1960, the stock represents all the types of locomotive that travelled through between the period 1950 to about 1976… of course though there is some flexibility with class 56 and 58 on the roster. Most recently an early version of the HST has been added. I had avoided these,  having usurped my beloved peaks from the NE/SW trains but of course they are also passing into history.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Project 45 Update

Now where were we?...

The first stage of the project was to modify the body supplied to match the chosen prototype. The first three photographs show the modified body temporarily refitted to the chassis. The bogies have been painted black and the end of one has been detailed with air and vacuum pipes eth connections and coupling.

IMG_3126.JPG.27da557ad3adfee82a640d08ae5571fa.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG.da11ab59f0666c2250c88f959bcf453e.JPG

IMG_3127.JPG.e193656b409aa9cb12295e41a74e67ec.JPG

The body moulded bodyside grilles were cut away and replaced by my own etched grilles, likewise with the roof radiator fan grille and exhaust panel. The former detail for the steam heating boiler and  water fillers have all been 'plated' over- filled.  An etched fan has been positioned on a piece of plastikard itself glued to the chassis.

The next set of three photographs show the completed body undercoated.

IMG_3130.JPG.9702be00bf3d0cdd9a39501d9b3f0c13.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG.d36123632dde243ee60c7f027b1140e8.JPG

IMG_3131.JPG.2fc024e4fa4d48ee7a23a73a60caf1c5.JPG

The body was firstly sprayed with Railmatch Universal primer and allowed to dry for 24 hours. The loco was then sprayed with Precision satin white, with particular attention paid to the loco's noses to produce a dense white in these areas, this is to provide a good base to the transparent 'warning yellow' that will be sprayed next.

IMG_3133.JPG.2d9424203d147fb790ac7caa21b87d96.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG.d69e7dbc99fc3509373351c15c003f00.JPG

IMG_3134.JPG.8ed16372bf906c84c5779ff6aa41ffd5.JPG

After a further 24 hours drying the yellow has been sprayed. I will let this dry for closer to 48 hours before masking out the yellow and spraying the rail blue.

As always if you have any questions please ask'

My next update will be after the blue has been applied.

Cheers

Duncan

PS. I have yet to start my other 45 body...45036

Edited by Duncan.
PS note added
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

The fine detail is amazing. I do have a couple of questions actually…

1) Where do you source all of the bufferbeam equipment (ETH boxes etc)?

Is it stuff that you’ve made yourself or can you actually buy it from somewhere?

2) How did you go about plating over the old steam heat filling port and other small details that needed filling?

Any advice much appreciated.

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

The eth cable looped around the left hand buffer comes as a detail part with the loco. I added air and vac pipes, coupling hook details left over from other locos.

I keep all the detailing parts from the locos and rolling stock I buy. The eth socket on the right hand side of the buffer beam is a suitable looking object from the detail spares box., I don't know what is from originally or what it is supposed to be! It could be said it is a fraud, but it gives the illusion that there is an eth socket in place... oh damn I given disclosed my deception.

Plating over the steam heat boiler vent etc... on this model I have filed away the detail and used milliput filler. When I post photos of the painted body I hope you will not be able to see any of the 'joins'!  I have prepared brass covers  for the boiler water fillers on the other body I am doing, 45036 and will post photos in due course. As ever I use prototype photos of the actual loco modelled if available, but in this case I used a photo of the roof of 45133 leaving Newcastle, here's a link

45133 Newcastle

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 6

That’s really helpful thanks Duncan.

I’ve had difficulties using some of the detail pack stuff before with locos, in the end I’ve tended to use some part from various packs and then made up my own pipes from fine wire. 
It’s probably not perfect but it works at first glance!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

That’s really helpful thanks Duncan.

I’ve had difficulties using some of the detail pack stuff before with locos, in the end I’ve tended to use some part from various packs and then made up my own pipes from fine wire. 
It’s probably not perfect but it works at first glance!

Hi Nick,

keep doing what you are doing. Most of the plastic pipes (although not all) are overscale,if you have the time keep making the finer pipes with wire.

Cheers

Duncan