Life in a Northern Town

Neil

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JZ said:

What about squaring up the image in photoshop and making a decal?

I have made transfers for various items but for painted signs nothing beats painting. Actually I quite like faffing about with stencils.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Neil said:

I have made transfers for various items but for painted signs nothing beats painting. Actually I quite like faffing about with stencils.

I for one would like to see the stencilling process if that is possible. 

Martyn

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, mullie said:

I for one would like to see the stencilling process if that is possible. 

Martyn

No problem, I'll try to remember to take snaps as I go along. It'll be a little while as the base coats need to go on and harden off before I can start.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, Neil said:

Another day and another stencil, this time for the smaller, lower lettering.

yk402.jpg.2ddf10126b28bdbf491ad69ca0fdbcec.jpg

It's usually the S that's troublesome but today both Es on the left gave me grief. You can see the repairs with tiny slivers of masking tape. However all came good in the end.

yk403.jpg.462006d9052e1e5de64a3591e04d9850.jpg

The secret with stippling is to use a brush with stubby bristles, to be sparing with the paint, building up in layers and to use a vertical motion so you don't cause the stencil to drift off target.

It is really interesting to see how you achieve the effect, thanks for posting. 

Martyn 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mullie said:

It is really interesting to see how you achieve the effect, thanks for posting. 

Martyn 

You're most welcome Martyn. It's the ability to ask questions and get timely answers that's one of the advantages of internet forums.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

image.png.72b11f3b23d628c867a9f3eef4eb8c17.png

So, so close, but the last 'S' looks wrong to me.

That's an interesting take, to my eyes it would be the first S I'd want to tweak a bit to get closer to the unusual rather squared off look of the originals. However I worry that further tweaking runs the risk of making things worse rather than better and there's part of me that's happy with some imperfections in a model; I feel that they make a model less sterile and in some way more believable providing it's not overdone.

yk407.jpg.2104f6e986d187f08bb5f35619631063.jpg

13 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Wonderful and inspiring stuff Neil, just think what could be achieved in a bigger scale (ahem!)

Simon

I would need a considerably larger garage. :)

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A false start and a bit of a rethink have happened over the last few days. Using PVA to stick the paper print outs of the DVLR station building to plasticard set of some warping, pesumably as the paper shrunk.

yk411.jpg.8ca8a7a808c267d22256ccf5db91a822.jpg

I remembered that years ago I bought in some self adhesive printer paper so after some difficulty (printing on the backing rather than the self adhesive paper) I got a full set of print off that I could peel and stick to the plastic. Result, all has stayed flat and level.

yk412.jpg.d689bf952cb1d77ad0482de45637ccf1.jpg

Cutting out the tracery is a bit of a faff requiring good levels of concentration so I only do a bit per session. It's difficult to see if the cut out panels are level and in line from the front but turn the sheet over and checking is much easier.

yk413.jpg.a7f71d37014c1e837a549ab388dc9892.jpg

I'm about half way through the process now so it's not a rapid technique but it is very satisfying seeing the characteristic design emerge. The walls will be good practice for the doors and windows which will be even more fiddly. It strikes me that this building would be a natural for laser cutting but the customer base would be pretty limited.

Finally on Friday night's running session the new Thomas based loco was paired with the two carriages hacked from Tomy trackmaster Annie and Clarabel. Really quite please with the ensemble.

yk414.jpg.3c573debb8bb44e674d20d255dc7d641.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...