Life in a Northern Town

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can you have too many wagons? The latest stuff up on the workbench, more wagons. Over the years I've picked up the odd wagon that I like the look of, even if it doesn't fit in with the grand scheme of things. One thing they do have in common is that they're all bought second hand for three to four quid and they all started life with the ugly large tension lock couplings. Some can be replaced with the screw fixing sort of mini tension lock from Bachmann (with a bit of faffing) but those with the plug in style efforts take a bit more work; here's how I do it.

Unclip the covers and take the old couplings out; you'll need the long reach screw fit couplings from Bachmann as replacements. While you're at it take out the wheels too as they'll get in the way.

couple01.jpg.3f47392a3ee6e4c55cf7a7fad60688d5.jpg

If you line up the couplings with the moulded spigot on the coupling mount you will see that even the long reach coupling is set too far back.

couple02.jpg.c3dc8f0907c738f5fb2f74b9b978909a.jpg

However the clip on cover has its hole offset to the rear in the factory fitted position but if we reverse it then it brings the locating hole a few mm closer to the end of the wagon and we can just about get by with this, so file away the moulded spigot.

couple04.jpg.a73cc7ebe37d24ca405bfe14811b5875.jpg

You will now be able to fit the clip the 'wrong' way round.

couple05.jpg.b3a63652cb7294b02d2422a29fed1d52.jpg

Drill down through the clip with a 2mm bit and also trim back the wings of the coupling so that it will slide between the two raised edges on the coupling mount. I took the cover off to show the altered mounting position compared to the ghostly outline where the spigot was filed away.

couple06.jpg.807933277e58732a5442b21bc06d9cb7.jpg

Clip the cover on, if like me you removed it, and slide the trimmed back coupling in until all the holes line up. I use some 2mm diameter plastic rod to peg all three bits, mount, coupling and cover together, and fix in place with glue. I was lucky that this particular underframe was moulded in the sort of plastic that can be solvent welded. Obviously the rod was cut to size once glued in place. It's easier to line everything up with a long length which then needs cutting back than one cut to the exact length required.

couple07.jpg.1f7f4f76e35bb6fd8f90d2e4581c088f.jpg

Now I should point out that the coupling still won't stick out as far as is usual so it is a bit of a compromise but if your curves are of a reasonable radius all should be well. Here's the wagon coupled up, closer than usual but not ridiculously so.

couple08.jpg.5c3452875b9ef6540f193f635025d0df.jpg

Finally, why bother with stuff that doesn't fit with the premise of the layout? Why put in the time and effort? I think it all boils down to the sheer attractiveness of the models; they're nice things to have but it's possible to make them even more pleasing by putting a little work in, weathering lifts the models as does fitting better working and more discrete couplings. Here's the two latest wagons on the left and a couple I did earlier on the right.

stock003.jpg.0db9e287217e880ede4af986708a67b1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

2 hours ago, Neil said:

here's how I do it

Thank you Jules @JZ. I've bookmarked your great illustrated description for future reference.