Life in a Northern Town

Neil

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2021 at 10:37, john new said:

..... That branch line needs a brake van special! 

Funny you should say that, look what was on the workbench earlier this week.

962379322_brakes01.jpg.3159c3a226de0e3daacacc4da93b8a46.jpg

Edited by Neil
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Now that the forum is back up and running and appears to be stable I thought it about time I started repopulating my posts with images that have been lost during the transfer. There's a lot to do but I'll nibble away whenever I have some spare time at the PC. It looks like images over a year old will gradually reappear so I've started at the most recent post and will work my way backwards. It's quite simple to do just by editing the posts with the missing pix; handily the blank images are named which makes working out what's what a whole deal simpler than it might have been. I'd urge all to try even if you only go back a page or so it'll make a whole lot more sense of the threads. Finally here's what I believe to be a fresh black and while image from Northern Town.

1555763987_sil16.jpg.606b4ec6223c9b16332ffbf082f69b95.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Neil said:

Now that the forum is back up and running and appears to be stable I thought it about time I started repopulating my posts with images that have been lost during the transfer. There's a lot to do but I'll nibble away whenever I have some spare time at the PC. It looks like images over a year old will gradually reappear so I've started at the most recent post and will work my way backwards. It's quite simple to do just by editing the posts with the missing pix; handily the blank images are named which makes working out what's what a whole deal simpler than it might have been. I'd urge all to try even if you only go back a page or so it'll make a whole lot more sense of the threads. Finally here's what I believe to be a fresh black and while image from Northern Town.

1555763987_sil16.jpg.606b4ec6223c9b16332ffbf082f69b95.jpg

Sadly not visible Neil.

Edit: they are now.

Edited by john new
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson

Neil,

Sorry to trouble you, is the vehicle btm rht, in the brake van selection, a continental item? I am no expert on BR and NE stuff, hence my query.

StaySafe

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Over winter, the garage where Northern Town lives is an unappealing place to linger; the result has been that it became a bit of a dumping ground. However this weekend I've got stuck in to the mother of all tidy ups. I've dusted, brushed and hoovered too. Now while there are no new layout developments to mention I thought I'd take a couple of photos of a couple of Hornby horrors that I've spent a few months re-working over the colder parts of the year. The carriages are new too being hacked from Tomy Thomas toys on altered GWR toad chassis. No proper trains were hurt in the making of this lot.

1795013730_yk250.jpg.5be92789c56237961f43d8342246015b.jpg

642873028_yk251.jpg.3566e04c0532a96b5835b970d693b583.jpg

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Over winter, the garage where Northern Town lives is an unappealing place to linger; the result has been that it became a bit of a dumping ground. However this weekend I've got stuck in to the mother of all tidy ups. I've dusted, brushed and hoovered too. Now while there are no new layout developments to mention I thought I'd take a couple of photos of a couple of Hornby horrors that I've spent a few months re-working over the colder parts of the year. The carriages are new too being hacked from Tomy Thomas toys on altered GWR toad chassis. No proper trains were hurt in the making of this lot.

1795013730_yk250.jpg.5be92789c56237961f43d8342246015b.jpg

642873028_yk251.jpg.3566e04c0532a96b5835b970d693b583.jpg

I remember being impressed when you hacked and slashed some of those Tomy Thomas carriages back in 009 many years ago (ngrm online?), they look just as good as the basis for 00 light-railway stock too!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I do like that; as you say, an impressionistic approach not detracting from the modelled scene.

I remember Tony Hart doing something similar on TV many years ago, using successive layers of cutout silhouettes, with greaseproof paper over each layer to give a fading out effect. Using lighter shades of paint for the further away layers would work just as well.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the kind comments, it's heartening to know that others 'get' what's going on. Thanks too Andy for the recommendation to take a look at Maurice Wade's work; it's very much my cup of tea, like you say a stark and simple beauty in the everyday.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to remember where I've seen this kind if thing before. Finally came to me that it was @Barry Ten's "Cogirep" challenge layout from 2007 ish. Sadly can't find any images online now.

EDIT - found my pictures, see below

Edited by Ramblin Rich
see below
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the photos of Cogirep Rich. I've seen Al's lovely layout  a couple of times and admired the backscene treatment. It was partly this that led me to abandon my slightly more detailed approach for a simple one tone, colour block outline. I'm pushing it a bit further as for almost all of the length along the longest side of the layout there's no room for structures between track and backscene.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I've been trying to remember where I've seen this kind if thing before. Finally came to me that it was @Barry Ten's "Cogirep" challenge layout from 2007 ish. Sadly can't find any images online now.

I remember Al's 'Cogirep' . A fine layout. I was allowed to play with it once at a show!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/06/2022 at 07:59, Re6/6 said:

I remember Al's 'Cogirep' . A fine layout. I was allowed to play with it once at a show!

It is indeed a brilliant evocation of an inner city site.

I had hoped to spend some more time on the layout itself but On Friday I took my A1 to a friends for a good long run. Unfortunately after a couple of circuits it tied the right hand side valve gear into knots. So yesterday I spent some time taking it apart and reassembling it. It took a while to fettle but I now know what went wrong. Here it is on test on the layout after being put back together.

225102594_yk270.thumb.jpg.75c79943358ef385879fde16df709dac.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5