Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

So a good morning so far before I have to take the good Lady to the Dentist.

The Oil Depot / Canal board is almost done, just the Backscene board to cut and fit later or tomorrow.

Not really sure if the Canal is deep enough or wide enough, if not it will be a mucky stream.

attachicon.gifIMG_5860.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5861.JPG

Hi Andy

I would go for a mucky steam. Most of us on here like a bit of mucky.

If it was N gauge then there is lots of space for a canal, but in O it looks like space for a stream to me.

Might re visit the Canal cutting tomorrow! :O

Andy 

If you fitted it out as a lock it would probbaly suffice

Paul R

Hi Andy

I would go for a mucky steam. Most of us on here like a bit of mucky.

Had a quick measure up before taking the good Lady to the Dentist and a nice walk along the side of the River Trent with the Hound.

There isn't enough depth for a Canal Boat to pass under the Bridge, so it will need to revert to the original idea of a River or Stream.

It will be widened a bit tomorrow as well.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Is that blatant free advertising in those images I see - "Layouts by Andy Peters"

Hahhah, :O NEVER, :no:  :no: In fact there are only 3 articles in there out of about 35 or so that I've had in various Mags, :sungum: from Layouts to weathering and Backscene Painting.

post-9335-0-06493600-1538140364_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I couldn't wait until tomorrow, I feel I've over done it a bit today with the extra wood cutting, but now I can relax, knowing it's sorted.

There will be slopes down from either side into a Stream bed. It's now about 3 inches wider and looks much better.

post-9335-0-60951700-1538149691_thumb.jpg

Also you can now see how the Oil Depot siding will fit in, this is inspired by Peter / PCM / Lanbourne North Wales Fuel Terminal.

The Wedge is temporary, as it was an off cut, it will be re cut as a triangle over the weekend.

post-9335-0-98665400-1538149734_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Ahaaa..........I knew you were cheating!  Using a book to make the layout from   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Many books David, I think every Layout has had ideas either pinched from other peoples Layouts, or books, and yes, sometimes, even bits from my previous Layouts.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 1

Hello Mate, Been busy today at my club doing some repairs to the layout, so just catching up with whats been happening, the 08 debate -- l think they both sound the same to me anyway, they sound great...

That's what come of spending years playing your Guitar to loud mate. :no:  :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

I agree the stream looks better for being wider. However should you need to have a narrow watercourse the obvious anser is a Leat  a man made channel to move water to a mill or works. Then tend to be straight sided with bends where needed. Not too deep either. There was one which carried water to Parkend in the  Forest of Dean  although disused it still held water I had to get a sheep out of it ( the sheep badgers are notoriously lazy about looking after their sheep). Can easily be run between buildings 

Don

Why not cut the wedge as a concave curve, I think aesthetically it would look better than a straight edge.

I agree the stream looks better for being wider. However should you need to have a narrow watercourse the obvious anser is a Leat  a man made channel to move water to a mill or works. Then tend to be straight sided with bends where needed. Not too deep either. There was one which carried water to Parkend in the  Forest of Dean  although disused it still held water I had to get a sheep out of it ( the sheep badgers are notoriously lazy about looking after their sheep). Can easily be run between buildings 

Don

Cheers Guys, it will have some shape to it once done, IT WILL NOT be strait, and once embankments and foliage etc are in there it will be quite hidden. It may yet be a Rocky Stream, not deep, but meandering down between the Land shape.

post-9335-0-85733800-1538206637_thumb.jpg

There will also be a drop from the back down towards the front as well.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 13

You can never have too many books.

Paul R

P.S. the wife does not agree!

I used to have 3 Railway Mags a Month, now I have NONE.

I don't have many Railway books as I find I just look at a few pics, but don't actually read the articles within. I bet I have no more that about 12 to 15 Railway books, and most are Weathering or pics of Weathered Stock type books.

I have about 5 or 6 Track Plan Books ranging from early Peco ones with Trainset Track Plans, to free giveaways. 

All are kept in TOPS as there not aloud indoors now that I have THE SHED.

A successful day today but no pics to show for my efforts.

1, The Backscene was fitted to the River / Stream Board and some Blue added for the Sky.

2, Over Centre Latches were fitted to the Dore End Boards.

3, The Curved Track at the end between Seven Mills and Dore End was offered into position and a Class 40 was offered up to ensure I have the required clearance on the Bridge over the River / Stream.

4, The Line was marked on the board for sleeper alignment, and tested for the Running Line through Dore End, to ensure clearance for the Point off for the Warehouse.

5, Kip in the Conservatory.

6, F1 Qualifying watched.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

Cheers Guys, it will have some shape to it once done, IT WILL NOT be strait, and once embankments and foliage etc are in there it will be quite hidden. It may yet be a Rocky Stream, not deep, but meandering down between the Land shape.

attachicon.gifIMG_5862 - Copy.JPG

There will also be a drop from the back down towards the front as well.

That looks better, I think a stream is the way to go.

• Like 1

That looks better, I think a stream is the way to go.

Thanks Kevin, Yes with only 50mm head room there is no way a Canal Boat would have got under that bridge.

Now you can send the Colonel and his Wife up for a spot of Trout Fishing in cleaner waters that you have on Little Muddle, or should that be Little Muddy?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Kevin, Yes with only 50mm head room there is no way a Canal Boat would have got under that bridge.

Now you can send the Colonel and his Wife up for a spot of Trout Fishing in cleaner waters that you have on Little Muddle, or should that be Little Muddy?

Goodness me Peters,

One can tell you never served in Her Majesty's armed forces. "The Colonel and his Wife", should that have been said in the mess the chap doing so would have been duty officer for the next two months, and that was if I was having a good day.

When addressing the female partners of serving and ex serving soldiers one says officers and their ladies, sergeants and their wives,  and other ranks and their women.

You must get things in the correct terminology, like officers in high spirits, sergeants are ungentlemanly and other ranks drunk and disorderly.

Far too much of this liberalism going on here. 

Yours

Lt Col La de Da hyphen Poshname REME (rtd)

PS By the way do I know this other colonel of your acquaintance? Sounds like an infantry bod if he likes fishing.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Goodness me Peters,

One can tell you never served in Her Majesty's armed forces. "The Colonel and his Wife", should that have been said in the mess the chap doing so would have been duty officer for the next two months, and that was if I was having a good day.

When addressing the female partners of serving and ex serving soldiers one says officers and their ladies, sergeants and their wives,  and other ranks and their women.

You must get things in the correct terminology, like officers in high spirits, sergeants are ungentlemanly and other ranks drunk and disorderly.

Far too much of this liberalism going on here. 

Yours

Lt Col La de Da hyphen Poshname REME (rtd)

PS By the way do I know this other colonel of your acquaintance? Sounds like an infantry bod if he likes fishing.

Haha, Check out Kevin's Little Muddle (one of the BEST SCENIC Layouts on R M Web) in the Layouts section, the bloke and women can often be seen down by the River.

Kevin has also produced some amazing articles for BRM especially the one dealing with Trees that could be of interest to you for Sheffield Infirmary  Old Boy. :O  :nono:  . :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

I was in my local model shop last Friday and he had unifrog points for sale, I'm guessing they would still need some modification to work DCC or not, they can't be both at the same time can they?

No such points in O Gauge mate, I need / want live switch Rails as well.