Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

Are you dropping the platform ends now at Dore End, I would be inclined to do so. There doesn't seem to be much space for them without cramping the end of the layout or making them extremely thin.

I think Spillers Lane for the Signal box

I hadn't considered dropping the Platforms, but you are right, they would be a little thin, and I can still use support walling for the Road as a view blocker.

Nice idea and thanks for saving me a LOT of work in that area mate.

• Like 1

Hello Andy,

Please ignore anything I'm about to say if you've got a better back story that explains what you are planning, but looking at your track plan the sidings seem to have no protection from the running line. I'm assuming that with platforms, this was once a passenger route.  In your imagined history, which of the crossovers took the line from single to double track?  if it is the one nearer the station then there would need to be a trap on on the upper of two lines to the left of the crossover, I cannot imagine BR taking out the traps that quickly after the end of passenger working?    

May I suggest an alternative arrangement, which may actually give you some more siding space?   Pontllanfraith Low Level on the Taff Vale Extension from Pontypool Road had a neat, compact yard of similar proportions to the one you are proposing.  its advantage was that the sidings overlapped.   The signal box diagram on the Signalling Record Society website should help you get an idea of what I'm suggesting.  

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwn/S1427.htm

regards

Edited by philip-griffiths

Thanks Phillip, Trap Points are something I tend to make up and put in once the Layout is up and running, but I take your very valid points.

As you will see from the previous Post # 659, I have decided not to model the Platforms, so assuming they are the other side of the Road Bridge, the Crossover nearest to the Bridge can become the one that takes the line from Single to Double.

Plus I have marked where I would have the Trap Points.

We have had this discussion on many of my previous Layouts, and many people have offered differing opinions, so lets just say that from my point of view, they will be added cosmetically in about the right places.

Thanks again for your contribution and informative post above.

post-9335-0-08021400-1538399602_thumb.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

Scrap the above, I have decided to make it a Single Track Line, now Freight only to Dore End.

Trap Points still need to be worked out and added later but I don't want to get into that just yet.

post-9335-0-62346800-1538414388_thumb.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Scrap the above, I have decided to make it a Single Track Line, now Freight only to Dore End.

Trap Points still need to be worked out and added later but I don't want to get into that just yet.

attachicon.gifTrack Plan - Copy (2).png

I am cancelling my order for a blue liveried bubble car.....I was hoping to run it on the Steven and Doris railway. Now there is no platform  I can't. :cry:

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifTrack Plan - Copy (2).png

You needn't worry about trap points if you've no intention of running passenger trains.

• RMweb Gold

I am cancelling my order for a blue liveried bubble car.....I was hoping to run it on the Steven and Doris railway. Now there is no platform  I can't. :cry:

Could be a Branch Line Society outing to each bufferstop with the participants not needing to leave ... blue bubble car or GWR railcar - either would work  :sarcastichand:

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

A sector plate question for you if I may?  How does your sector plate pivot? I cannot see anything in the images, but suspect its on a bolt and washers or something similar at the far end?

Rich

Dr B said it wasn't viable to have humanoids on the S & D Line, (No not that S & D this one).

Edited by Andrew P

Could be a Branch Line Society outing to each bufferstop with the participants not needing to leave ... blue bubble car or GWR railcar - either would work  :sarcastichand:

Rich

Nooooooo :nono:

Andy,

A sector plate question for you if I may?  How does your sector plate pivot? I cannot see anything in the images, but suspect its on a bolt and washers or something similar at the far end?

Rich

It's a normal wood screw at the far end in the centre, but not done up tight, just in and back out about a quarter of a turn.

Nooooooo :nono:

It's a normal wood screw at the far end in the centre, but not done up tight, just in and back out about a quarter of a turn.

Works every time. My refinement is to add a washer. No need for over-engineering. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Works every time. My refinement is to add a washer. No need for over-engineering. 

Hi Andy and Chris

From my experience of baseboard and selector plate construction the simpler it is done the the more likely it is going to work.

A good example is Martyn's Crinan layout's selector plate. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111037-crinan/?p=3312835

Things like baseboard alignment, people go to great expense with alignment aids. Use your eyes to line up the tracks, clamp with joint with two G clamps, and use a tool, fine adjustment 1 1/2lbs ball peen for the last bit if needed, gentle taps only. It will last the show. Wood moves, exhibition floors are never as level as your shed/garage/club room floor so why spend out on stuff that isn't needed. One club layout had alignment dowels, they worked, except they were too low down and the baseboard tops had moved just enough to derail the trains. The track was soldered to some quite large brass screws so it wouldn't move. The amperage of the soldering iron we had at the show couldn't heat up the screws enough to melt the solder. The alignment dowels prevented the boards from having any wiggle in them to line up the tracks.

I push mine right back and have 3 lines, lined up, fully forward and I have 2 lined up, and use the eyes for doining the other 2 settngs, works every time for me.

The screw is countersunk hence no movement at that end either.

Also the shere weight of an O Gauge Loco helps.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys,  much appreciated.

Rich

• Like 2

3 Points laid this morning before a visitor from the Ex Arla Railway Club to TOPS Railway Club to collect the VERY last of my OO Gauge Locos.

We also gave the two Panniers a run for their money, (Minerva 9610 & Lionheart / Dapol 6439) I'd fogotten how good they looked and sounded on a short Freight.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

3 Points laid this morning before a visitor from the Ex Arla Railway Club to TOPS Railway Club to collect the VERY last of my OO Gauge Locos.

We also gave the two Panniers a run for their money, (Minerva 9610 & Lionheart / Dapol 6439) I'd fogotten how good they looked and sounded on a short Freight.

Does anyone else sense a change on the Steven and Doris Railway :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

'scuse me butting in Mr P.

I preferred you original plan, this one looks like too many loops and not enough sidings.

Where you had  'lifted track' on the original, I would have put a porta cabin there for the 08 crew instead of the mess hut in the middle, then used that space for a nice road access to the coal road.