Shunters, are/were they kept running?

Foden

• RMweb Premium

Not shunters that worked a busy yard, maybe ones that worked a slightly less busy yard when they might not have work to do for an hour, or more. Or maybe a station pilot during off peak hours.

Did crews leave them idling away for lengthy durations, or were they shut down?

I’m sure I read in here of an example once where an 08 was left running permanently (dodgy starter??) until eventually a clogged oil filter resulted in its demise. Or maybe I’ve imagined it!

• RMweb Gold

08s in busy yards were kept running all the time and on depots if there was a requirement for a shed pilot they were rarely shut down, wasn't uncommon to see about five ticking over together

• RMweb Gold

At Radyr and Westbury in the '70s they were only shutdown at weekends (unless they were going to Canton for fuel in the case of Radyr) although if one was a dodgy starter and in cold weather they were just left running, the same happened at Ebbw jcn when I was there.  It was possible to 'bump start' a 350 but after one in South Wales finished up with some badly damaged main gearing (at Margam I think) the practice was outlawed.  When I was involved at Tyseley in the '80s we only started ours when required and normally had no problems starting it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies guys. So shunters, and I’m guessing some locos in general were just left merrily idling away between jobs, often for days on end, and one would assume often unattended?!

How long could a moderately used 350 go between fueling?

• RMweb Premium

At Radyr and Westbury in the '70s they were only shutdown at weekends (unless they were going to Canton for fuel in the case of Radyr) although if one was a dodgy starter and in cold weather they were just left running, the same happened at Ebbw jcn when I was there. It was possible to 'bump start' a 350 but after one in South Wales finished up with some badly damaged main gearing (at Margam I think) the practice was outlawed. When I was involved at Tyseley in the '80s we only started ours when required and normally had no problems starting it.

Interesting. How is it possible to bump start an engine that has no direct mechanical link to the running wheels?

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. How is it possible to bump start an engine that has no direct mechanical link to the running wheels?

There was a manually operated contactor within the desk.

When the loco was dragged along this could be operated this diverted current generated by the motors to the starting windings on the generator which turned the engine over

But as stationmaster mike said earlier there were incidents where severe damage was caused to some locos and this practice was outlawed.

Most locos but not all had the equipment removed

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies guys. So shunters, and I’m guessing some locos in general were just left merrily idling away between jobs, often for days on end, and one would assume often unattended?!

How long could a moderately used 350 go between fueling?

The header tank held /holds enough for about a day, so it would either run out which is a right pain in the @rse, or required someone to hand pump some more into it. Later I believe some were fitted with electric pumps and float switches.

• RMweb Gold

The top tank held enough for more than a days idling but not much more.

Ours used to get the top tank filled to the brim when they were refueled on the pumps.

Trouble was if you pumped more than about 50 gal by hand into the top tank some of it would splash into the return pipe and back to the main tank when braking

• RMweb Gold

At Llanwern steelworks, the 300 series shunters were never switched off. When we did Newport Open day, there was one permanently stationed outside the yard office. Come Monday (96 hours) the clag emitted was unbelievable!

Ian.

I seem to recall reading that Tunbridge Wells West use to leave their collection of DEMUs with the engines running overnight in winter, and this caused complaints from the local residents. 

• RMweb Premium

Wintry weather you’d leave everything running anyway. Carriage cleaners were another problem, as they’d always leave the dmu lights on when they finished, so as a rule whenever a set came on shed, the chargers would be coupled immediately, and sets would left be ticking over. Wasteful, but you needed to be sure of getting everything off in a morning.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One was dragged back to The Factory which had been shut down, or run out of fuel. It had been particularly cold earlier than expected and the block had frozen, cracking it between several cylinder heads. Amazingly it was repaired by an outside conractor, who stitched the block back together with what resembled large staples.

Normal practice was to bring all outstationed shunters back to shed for dosing with glycol, as the normal coolant was basically softened water wth Borax.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One was dragged back to The Factory which had been shut down, or run out of fuel. It had been particularly cold earlier than expected and the block had frozen, cracking it between several cylinder heads. Amazingly it was repaired by an outside conractor, who stitched the block back together with what resembled large staples.

Normal practice was to bring all outstationed shunters back to shed for dosing with glycol, as the normal coolant was basically softened water wth Borax.

Dave

Stitching by weld is a common practice, where bolts are drilled & tapped either side of the crack. The two bolts are then connected/welded together.

Cheers,

Ian.

Stitching by weld is a common practice, where bolts are drilled & tapped either side of the crack. The two bolts are then connected/welded together.

Cheers,

Ian.

It was also a method used to repair cracked peak bogie frames, so it must have been fairly robust.

Cheers,

Ian.

Presumably, done right, the contraction of the weld on cooling will apply a considerable compressive force to the crack and create a better seal.

• RMweb Gold

Got a definitive answer about how long the service tank will fuel the engine... 50 hours

A friend filled one to fifty gallons and went back to it 25 hours later and it Was showing exactly 25 gallons

• RMweb Gold

99 and change hands; are you sure you were fuelling an 08...

We had one on Cardiff Docks in the early 70s which was allegedly kept running for 18 months continuously, simply topped up with fuel, coolant, and occasional lubricant until the oil filter finally blocked and it had to be towed to Canton.  Apparently it was a known poor starter and it was thought better to just leave it running!

• Like 3

It had been particularly cold earlier than expected and the block had frozen, cracking it between several cylinder heads. Amazingly it was repaired by an outside conractor, who stitched the block back together with what resembled large staples.

Watch a guy many years ago do that to 24081's block at Bury, It's one of them dark arts that is a life saving skill to many an engine now