Mk1 Carflats

Brian Kirby

• RMweb Premium

Isn't mincing miscreant modellers messy?, not to mention illegal?

Mike.

That would have to be a post watershed episode of the Great Model Railway Challenge.... :jester:

• Like 1

Bought 4 blue carflats and a selection of1980s era cars from the excellent Oxford Diecast range. Just noticed that none of them have wing mirrors apart from the early Range Rover and BL Princess.

I guess too easily broken off. I remember having endless fun gluing on the tiny mirrors onto Bachmann Minis for loading up STVA car carriers.

Still curious to know why two cars have the mirrors and the majority don't.

John

• RMweb Gold

Bought 4 blue carflats and a selection of1980s era cars from the excellent Oxford Diecast range. Just noticed that none of them have wing mirrors apart from the early Range Rover and BL Princess.

I guess too easily broken off. I remember having endless fun gluing on the tiny mirrors onto Bachmann Minis for loading up STVA car carriers.

Still curious to know why two cars have the mirrors and the majority don't.

John

In the early 19080s not all cars had wing mirrors, my MG didn't. Brand new cars would have done, but the older cars still on the streets may have been fitted or not.

At that time there was a big market for after-market mirrors. Fitting your own mirrors also meant that there was not always a consistent approach to where they were located either. It may have swayed Oxford's decision.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Thanks for the information Roy. I have been carrying out further research and agree that cars from this era did not have wing mirrors or only one on the drivers side. I like the Oxford cars as they are very robust with few small parts to get knocked off.

Need to find a way of folding in the mirrors on my Land Rover FC 101s so that they are within the loading gauge of Warwells.....

John

Are the Bachmann and Oxford Rail Carflats supposed to be the same wagon/diagram, given the difference obvious visual differences between the two models?

Hopefully, someone will elaborate.

No, they are entirely different - search out the Oxford carflat thread on here and read the various on-line stuff - it's obvious

Are the Bachmann and Oxford Rail Carflats supposed to be the same wagon/diagram, given the difference obvious visual differences between the two models?

Hopefully, someone will elaborate.

The carflats mode by Oxford and Bachmann are based on prototypes that used redundant coach chassis, however they are different donor coaches. The Oxford version depicts the versions built in the late 1950s, using chassis from pre nationalisation coaches. Their carflat uses the ex LMS 57ft length coach chassis. At the time BR used both 57ft and 60ft LMS coach chassis and GWR coach chassis. The Bachmann version is based on carflats built in the 1960s using redundant BR mk 1 coaches to provide the chassis. Although the upper structure is similar, the differences in the chassis are readily identifiable, with the difference in length and the Oxford version having chassis trusses at the outside edge of the chassis (ex LMS) and the Bachmann having the trusses inboard (ex BR mk1)

The carflats mode by Oxford and Bachmann are based on prototypes that used redundant coach chassis, however they are different donor coaches. The Oxford version depicts the versions built in the late 1950s, using chassis from pre nationalisation coaches. Their carflat uses the ex LMS 57ft length coach chassis. At the time BR used both 57ft and 60ft LMS coach chassis and GWR coach chassis. The Bachmann version is based on carflats built in the 1960s using redundant BR mk 1 coaches to provide the chassis. Although the upper structure is similar, the differences in the chassis are readily identifiable, with the difference in length and the Oxford version having chassis trusses at the outside edge of the chassis (ex LMS) and the Bachmann having the trusses inboard (ex BR mk1)

Unfortunately the Oxford ones are too short, they should be on a 60ft frame. They do have the different brake lever arrangement - which includes the 'unique' reversed lever which most of us understood to be not permitted from early in the last century, but is modelled correctly.

Prototypes for both  the Oxfords and  Bachmanns can either vacuum brake only  FVV or converted to air brake but retaining the vacuum brake FVX, I don't know how detailed the models are in that respect.  So, they could work together, However, I don't know when the Oxfords came off of passenger car train use - I don't have any as Motorail. But you haven't mentioned period. It was the GWR and LNER ones which went out of use early.

Paul

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the information Roy. I have been carrying out further research and agree that cars from this era did not have wing mirrors or only one on the drivers side. I like the Oxford cars as they are very robust with few small parts to get knocked off.

Need to find a way of folding in the mirrors on my Land Rover FC 101s so that they are within the loading gauge of Warwells.....

John

and probably some new cars still on sale at around that time would have been through that era where you got a drivers side mirror but no passenger side or it was an optional extra ie; the Ford Fiesta Mk1 and later the Mk2 from around mid to late 84.  

Unfortunately the Oxford ones are too short, they should be on a 60ft frame. They do have the different brake lever arrangement - which includes the 'unique' reversed lever which most of us understood to be not permitted from early in the last century, but is modelled correctly.

Prototypes for both  the Oxfords and  Bachmanns can either vacuum brake only  FVV or converted to air brake but retaining the vacuum brake FVX, I don't know how detailed the models are in that respect.  So, they could work together, However, I don't know when the Oxfords came off of passenger car train use - I don't have any as Motorail. But you haven't mentioned period. It was the GWR and LNER ones which went out of use early.

Paul

Does this mean that the Oxford version is categorically wrong? I had been given to believe that some of bothe the 57 and 60 ft underframes were used for carflats.

• 4 years later...