Grove Street Yard - small space small budget

George Dent makes a pond

Pilot Road - N in a box file

Little Boxley - shoebox layout

Whatlington - 3mm:1ft from Peter Bossom

Fitting ViTrains mech to a Lima 47

Masterplan - micro layouts

Micro advice - Chris Nevard

Plus all the regulars (except Backscene)

Excellent edition - popped through my door this morning! George Dent's modeling as ever illuminates. I highly recommend reading the 33/0 conversion.

The class 86 article is very interesting, slightly at odds with the majority of people posting in the RMweb thread, however is the overall lower score than the class 15 telling? Up to the reader to decide, for me the class 15 was very fairly rated and deserving of its 83% score. Food for thought on the class 86 however.

I'll get my coat and leave it to the experts! :)

• RMweb Gold

Is it? huh.gif Mine's deinitely A4 sized...

I think that was a joke based upon the fact that this issue is dealing with micro layouts and Chris's original heading, "Small is Beautiful".wink.gif

Excellent edition - popped through my door this morning! George Dent's modeling as ever illuminates. I highly recommend reading the 33/0 conversion.

I agree about the 33/0 item. It did not make sense to me, to "unconvert" a 33/1 in order to get over the problem of the poor roof profile of the 33/0 model and then leave an incorrectly shaped cab front. I still think that George could go further, however, by picking out the beading around the windows in matt black (as Heljan have done). This will have the affect of imitating the rubber seals and give a better, finer appearance to the frames.

Kudos to the to publishers of Model Rail on two counts:

1/. I was sent an email yesterday advising that because of the no-fly zone around the UK, my subscription would be delayed. I take two other UK mags... no word from them. It was a nice touch, and cost MR next to nothing to keep us updated.

2/. I was very pleased that in a recent MR, I actually got the free DVD on the cover. We colonial peasants wink.gif have had to endure missing goodies on our news-stand editions for years, and I was very disappointed when I first subscribed to find out that even with a sub, we still do not get the freebies.

I hope MR keeps up the generosity, it is much appreciated.

Cheers

Scott

It's a very good issue,

what with mr nevard, ms kirk and mr mcdermotts articles it does seem rmweb is taking over the written word !

The 59 conversion was especially interesting, definately not for the faint of heart, I never realised there were quite so many differences between the 59 and 66 !

Hi, I live in New Jersey, USA and I'm used to getting MR late (but it is on sale in Barnes and Noble on the shelves, which is cool).

I've been trying to find their website but all I get is some generic site selling their subscriptions - the editorial side must have a website, right?

Can someone provide a link for me please (even if it does contain their horrible puns......)?

Cheers, Pete.

they used to have on they now use this http://www.modelrail...itle=Home&pid=1 for there show and mention they would use it for other things. The reason I think the old website was swtiched off is that the website did not have sufficient resources in terms of time and personal to look after

It does say in the editorial in the current issue* that that includes 'a magazine page and blog which will be updated...' Maybe not just yetwink.gif

* Which I am enjoying BTW - I'm no 3mm fan but I'd buy anything with Peter Bossom's work in it , I love his approach; and the freelance P4 layout is lovely. And there's more yet to read properly

• RMweb Premium

Aerosols supertest

This issue could sell out quickly if the "wrong" crowd see this on their newsagent's shelves and get the wrong idea... ;) (Sorry Chris, couldn't resist)

Not got my mag yet, but I've had an email telling me it may be delayed due to the ash cloud - I am in Portugal. Very thoughtful Chris/ModelRail. Thanks.

Fitting ViTrains mech to a Lima 47

Plus all the regulars (except Backscene)

So one of the best bits is missing this month :(

But I am looking forward to the article on fitting ViTrains mech to a Lima 47. They haven't yet, but if my Heljan 47s (47245, 47076 and green IKB) suffer from the mazak expansion problem I will be looking to resurrect my Lima 47s with new motors as replacements.

Nowadays I don't buy many magazines. I prefer to donate to sites like this and buy models. But how could I resist the front cover? If that wasn't incentive enough there is an article on the man himself (sorry genius).

The Ben Jones editorial caught my eye. I think he nailed it with the 5 blue bullet points but I would add a sixth..... customer service. I wish more of those with influence would speak up.

A couple of months ago, MR published this photo from my collection:

46157-Kensal-Green-6-62

The second to fifth vehicles are unusual full brakes rebuilt from WW2 ambulance conversions of LMS Period I stock.

I was pleased to see the letter and accompanying photos from Andy McMillan in MR145 showing that he has actually built a model of one. Very impressive.

• RMweb Gold

Yes a very good issue isn't the sound 37 a RMwebber too? Nice step by step article that one. The urban article was useful as I need some big warehouses and the atlas one looks very similar to UK buildings. The supertests are proving to be a very good series so would you consider adding a brief synopsis into the back of the mag regularly bit like the lists you get of previous reviews in camera mags? It would be useful reference. Even put it at the front of the review section saying full tests on your website as they could be updated as you review new products.

• RMweb Gold

I wondered why Games Workshop aerosols weren't mentioned in the "Supertest." Skull White makes an excellent udercoat.

steve

...and Chaos Black is a pretty good black.

Archived