RMweb

A New Hope - Great Model Railway Challenge benefits

I have never been to a show or even thought about joining a club - indeed I didn’t even know there was one within 4 miles of where I live- until I saw them on the show. The big question now is “do I just go down on a club night and walk in ( not my usual way of doing things) or do I start going to shows until someone invites me?” I’m sure that I’m not the only person who feels this way.

On the basis of the location you've given of West Yorkshire you are comparatively lucky in that you have probably the greatest density of good clubs in the country - http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/county/clubs/West%20Yorkshire - it may be worth going to see a few to see which you feel most comfortable with which is likely to meet your needs. Many of those clubs have members on here too.

Ring a couple at least and go to see them on a club night.

• Like 1

On the basis of the location you've given of West Yorkshire you are comparatively lucky in that you have probably the greatest density of good clubs in the country - http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/county/clubs/West%20Yorkshire - it may be worth going to see a few to see which you feel most comfortable with which is likely to meet your needs. Many of those clubs have members on here too.

Ring a couple at least and go to see them on a club night.

Andy has this spot on. Clubs can be very variable in their approach to new members, modelling ethos, etc. I know of several clubs I readily would join (if I were near enough) and several that I definitely wouldn't. 

Take a look at the national societies (EMGS, Scalefour, etc.) websites. They have areas groups and are, in my experience, very willing to welcome new modellers. My local S4 Area Group has twelve members, of whom three were newcomers to 4mm modelling and one mainly models OO and O gauges.

What Andy and Joel said. Give them a ring so you have a named person to find and then drop in.

A couple of hints:

• The club is not specifically there to entertain you. Model railway clubs are like big, informal meeting of friends. People who turn up and expect to sit back while everyone flocks around them tend to struggle. Those who pitch in and are happy to talk about their modelling and other peoples fit right in.
  • You do not need to be an expert at anything. If a club member is cutting a bit of wood, offering help by holding the other end makes you the most valuable person in the room. There are loads of jobs involved in running clubs and shows, very few of which require anything more than the willingness to get involved. Help unload a vehicle at the show, or help out with the tea rota and you'll get to know people really quickly.
  • Ask polite questions. It's a great icebreaker as we all like to talk about things we've made.
  • Don't be ashamed of anything you have made. We all love someone who tries, less so someone who disparages others efforts while not having made anything themselves.

BUT, do join a club. Membership not only helped my modelling, but it also opened up a world of exhibitions to me. I also get to meet with a wide variety of different people with different skills and you never know where that takes you. 

• Like 2

You may also find that the first club doesn't suit you (either socially or they just don't do what you're into). That's no judgment on anyone, just a fact of human interactions and the huge diversity covered by "model railways". If that is the case just try another. It took me a couple of goes to find the right group for me and my interests.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Take a look at the national societies (EMGS, Scalefour, etc.) websites. They have areas groups and are, in my experience, very willing to welcome new modellers. My local S4 Area Group has twelve members, of whom three were newcomers to 4mm modelling and one mainly models OO and O gauges.

This applies to our local Scalefour group in South Devon. I would estimate that at least half of our (approx 20) membership are either OO modellers only or model in both OO and P4. A proportion of our members are also new to 4mm modelling (or were, when they joined!).

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy has this spot on. Clubs can be very variable in their approach to new members, modelling ethos, etc. I know of several clubs I readily would join (if I were near enough) and several that I definitely wouldn't.

This strikes me as fair comment.

This applies to our local Scalefour group in South Devon. I would estimate that at least half of our (approx 20) membership are either OO modellers only or model in both OO and P4. A proportion of our members are also new to 4mm modelling (or were, when they joined!).

Hopefully, this will help to explode a common myth - about "gauge" and other special interest groups being insular / cliquey / "not wanting to know any of us mere mortals who aren't exactly like them".

Ultimately, all these clubs - these groups - are groups of individual people - many of whom I've found to be very approachable and ready to welcome anyone who shares their interest in model trains (even people who don't share their specific interest in model trains).

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

Just heard a statistic quoted on the Steve Wright show on Radio 2, to the effect that seasonal (Christmas) spending on model railways and construction sets has practically doubled in the last decade, to £13.6m.

This is surely a big positive...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just heard a statistic quoted on the Steve Wright show on Radio 2, to the effect that seasonal (Christmas) spending on model railways and construction sets has practically doubled in the last decade, to £13.6m.

But how much have the prices gone up in the last decade Chard ?    Quite a bit  , so unit sales may not have increased.

The £13.6m figure is very low . I haven't got it offhand but Hornbys Turnover is bigger than that .

Interesting that it was getting talked about on Steve Write , did he have the National Statistics guy on?

Lego Technic may have helped a little with that, creating a new market sector. Bugatti Veyron/Chiron at £250, Porsche at £180, etc.

Will those help take purchasers further into constructive hobbies?

But how much have the prices gone up in the last decade Chard ?    Quite a bit  , so unit sales may not have increased.

The £13.6m figure is very low . I haven't got it offhand but Hornbys Turnover is bigger than that .

Interesting that it was getting talked about on Steve Write , did he have the National Statistics guy on?

Yes he did, the chap from ONS, which I worked out is the Office for National Statistics!  

Bachmann's is probably bigger than that as well, but bearing in mind that both offer ranges outside model railways (assuming that the spend is broken down to a more granular level) then it's surely not bad going!  I think these were 'High Street' and Amazon typified spend although I stand to be corrected.  What I doubt is whether our familiar box-shifting community is included.  Anyway, food for thought and fertile ground for further examination....

Hi,

According to the Bank of England website UK CPI rose 31.9% 2007 to 2017 (last year for which there is data).

So one could lob 31.9%? off the doubling to adjust for the CPI measure of inflation.

I hate to think how much the RRP of model railways has gone up in the last ten years.

Regards

Nick (studying the RMWeb bargain hunters section regularly).

• Like 1

I was doing some "armchair modelling" last night with a glass of wine and the December copy of Railway Modeller. After going through all the ad pages I could find nothing that is the model railway equivalent of a ready-to-fly model airplane or a ready-to-sail model boat.

All of the model railway stuff on sale consists of bits and pieces for a model railway - locomotives, track, buildings, baseboards etc etc. OK, one of the ads mentioned Hornby and Bachman train sets, but AFAIK, they are just an oval of track plus a train (or maybe they have a point and siding) and would need a lot of extra parts before they could be presented as a complete "adult" model railway. 

Why is nobody marketing a complete (if limited) model railway "package" that comes complete with trains, track, buildings and scenery, needs very little assembly and which the proud owner could immediately show to his/her family and friends.?

...R

• Like 1

Why is nobody marketing a complete (if limited) model railway "package" that comes complete with trains, track, buildings and scenery, needs very little assembly and which the proud owner could immediately show to his/her family and friends.?

...R

Perhaps no one else sees it as a viable idea? The only really ready to use working model is a R/C car. Aircraft need an open space, fair weather and some skill. Boats need a stretch of water, ideally a boating lake, large pond, etc.. Your idea needs some available space to display it and a storage area.

I can, to a degree, understand why people might spend £230 plus on a Lego Technic Bugatti as they would get some satisfaction from assembling it and showing it off. Would they feel the same about an easily assembled collection of items, probably costing upwards of £300 - £400, to create an old fashioned model railway?

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,,

Since taking part in GMRC I have experienced a lot of recognition and acknowledgement and it's not just from modellers either!

Even walking into my chemist I was exposed to this!

Not that I mind, it's exactly what I had hoped would be the result.

ie - more people being willing to open up and discuss in public, the things involved in model railways.

I've also found that more of the 'casual' train set for kids people are askiing more questions.

That is really god - they tend to be people with young kids who have been bought a train set by whichever relative it was.

Another thing I've found is that more of the same group have realised that a model railway board is the way to go, that is instead of just putting the set up on the table or floor whenever there is the need, to moving onto a dedicated baseboard.

Now - that is a positive step!

I love that this is happening as it backs up what I have said for years.

Some folk with kids trainsets have no idea how to go about even the relatively simple job of building a baseboard.

That's where I can help them out!

So far I have built 5 baseboards for people like this in the last 2 months.

I am happy that I am able to help out - it increases the probzability that the youngster will keep on being involved with the hobby.

I've also been helping out some modellers who ahve lost interest - GMRC has re-awoken the interest and they want to know how to take it furher.

I can help with that as well!

Then thtere are the semi modellers who started and got put off when things didn't work out.

I can help them out as well!

A case in point?

Whilst I was at the chemist discussing model railways with one of the staff, another customer in the shop cut into oiur conversation.

He had heaard what I was saying and wondered if I could help him.

The guy was in his 70's, got some model railway stuff as part of his retirement gifts, he had tried to get himself going with a layout and had problems. THis had put him off and the stuff had lain, unused since. he said he could not make the trains run at all.

SO - I agreed to a home visit and see if I could point him in the right direction.

I went along, saw what he had, worked out what he had done sat had a cuppa and talked to him whilst thinking about his problem.

Then went back to the layout, had a closer look and had a bright spark thought.

Checked the point he had, looked at how they were wired and identified why his trains won't run on the layout.

Some clever person at a model show had sold him Live Frog points.

The way he had set the layout meant that there was a short circuit on the layout all the time.

Showed him why this was, cut a few gaps till the short had dissappeared and in 2 hours he had a working layout.

Now, just have to wait and see if he actually understood what he could and could not do with the trackwork.

Hopefully he is all OK and gets fully involved with the hobby.

If he isn't - I can pay him another visit to help!.

So - lots of visible and invisible good effects of having GMRC!

Thanks

Phil H

ps - whilst typing this I had a knock on the door...

Guess what! Another 'can you help me' request!

This one - 'I need a train table by Xmas this year' - can you do it?

• Like 15

Guest teacupteacup

I was picking up a parcel from Hattons a couple of weeks ago at my local pick up point - Matalan.  The woman saw the Hattons Model Railway name on the label and asked if I'd seen the show.  I said I had and she informed that her husband wanted to built something, she asked me if Hattons was a good shop.  

I gave her my number to give to her husband and we've since chatted by text, and met for a cuppa to discuss his ideas.  He had no idea of anything apart from Hornby before the show, but since picking the Railway Modeller up he is familiar with the main RTR outfits and what they offer.  

I hope to continue helping him, Im in no way an expert, but I've been in this hobby 40+ years.  I've also passed on this forum to him.

I enjoyed the show, I really hope they do a second series, personally I'd like it to be more prototypical, but I'd still watch it if it wasnt.  It seems to be attracting new blood, which is what we need!

• RMweb Gold

Hi E

I’ve heard on the grape there may well be a further series.

Eltel

ElTel,

Why rely on or need a grapevine rumour....

It's a fact of life - it's elsewhere on this forum!

They are already taking 'expressions of interest' if anyone wants to apply...

Thanks

Edited by Scottish Modeller

I had a good chat with our venerable leader at the Peterborough Show about GMRC and we both came to the conclusion that it was good for the hobby in different ways. I was a bit dubious beforehand about it and was hoping it would've been a bit like the old Bob Symes programmes, but was actually quite pleased with it in the end. although I was a bit miffed with some of the editing.

My only real gripe was actually with the Manufacturers, why oh why weren't there any adverts for Model Railways in any of the programmes advert breaks?? surely this would have been a grand opportunity for the likes of Hornby, Bachmann, Peco et al to advertise the stuff that the Modellers were actually using!!! Someone in the Advertising dept of these manufacturers wants shooting, or at least a kick up the jacksy  :banghead:  :banghead:

I agree with much of what has been said in the previous posts, Channel 5 have sown the seed it's now down to us, the Railway Modelling Community, to take them to the next level.

Onwards and upwards chaps & chapesses

regards

Neal.

My only real gripe was actually with the Manufacturers, why oh why weren't there any adverts for Model Railways in any of the programmes advert breaks?? surely this would have been a grand opportunity for the likes of Hornby, Bachmann, Peco et al to advertise the stuff that the Modellers were actually using!!! Someone in the Advertising dept of these manufacturers wants shooting, or at least a kick up the jacksy

I suspect they weren't sure whether the programme would be successful enough to justify it. Advertising is only worth it if it generates enough additional revenue to cover the cost. TV advertising isn't cheap. So they may well have taken a perfectly rational commercial decision to wait and see whether the show was successful enough to lead to a second series before considering the possibility of advertising on it.

• Like 1

My only real gripe was actually with the Manufacturers, why oh why weren't there any adverts for Model Railways in any of the programmes advert breaks?? surely this would have been a grand opportunity for the likes of Hornby, Bachmann, Peco et al to advertise the stuff that the Modellers were actually using!!! Someone in the Advertising dept of these manufacturers wants shooting, or at least a kick up the jacksy  :banghead:  :banghead:

TV advertising isn't cheap. You have to make the commercial to the set standards and format, then pay to see it on air. According to this interesting article, the slots would be around £1500 per appearance. So, 4 add breaks over 5 shows is £30,000 plus the cost of making it in the first place*. I doubt any of the manufacturers could afford to risk this on a show they didn't know. 

Also, marketing budgets are finite, so spending here would reduce spending elsewhere, hitting the finances of magazines and RMweb. Or, you take money out of another budget, the cost would go a long way towards tooling up an item of rolling stock.

More to the point, does an advert on TV for modelling products generate the same level of return as an advert in a magazine? That's something for the Advertising department, who you are so quick to denigrate, to consider. 

* There is an explanation as to why a single advert won't do on Wikipedia. Basically, people don't buy on the first showing - more like the 7th.

Also, following on from Phil's points, the manufacturers may well have considered that the show itself was good advertising for them. If it leads people to seek out a local model shop, or search for model railway related terms on Google, then they will come across the main brands anyway. And if they're not interested enough to go shopping or browse the web, even after watching a programme about model railways, then more advertising is unlikely to change that.

More to the point, does an advert on TV for modelling products generate the same level of return as an advert in a magazine? That's something for the Advertising department, who you are so quick to denigrate, to consider. 

The difference though is that the model railway magazines are aimed at people who are already in the hobby, whereas GMRC is aimed at people who aren't.

And if the hobby is to continue to thrive, Hornby et al need to be able to bring new people into the hobby.

That said, all the airtime in the world won't make a lot of difference unless there are sufficient entry-level models to enable people to try the hobby for themselves without significant outlay.