Wishlist poll - industrial locomotive additional

• RMweb Gold

Another one along similar lines: Hunslet 150hp 0-6-0DM as bought by the LMS in the early 1930s.

Could sell to LMS fans, military railway fans, and there were several industrial users. 

LMS 7051 is a good example, very interesting history, and preserved.

Also, the early Kerr Stuart locos. I remember the one that worked at Rom River Reinforcements somewhere in the Trent Valley, which I think originally belonged to The Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway, and I think is now preserved at Foxfield. [snap with 'Ruston' on this one]

Its a class that spans c60 years in operation, alongside everything from 15" gauge steamers to 25kV OLE.

Do you have any pics of the Hunslets in industrial use good sir? The only ones I can find are of models or the LMS one.

I'm aiming to get this poll online tonight.

Edited by Corbs

Another one along similar lines: Hunslet 150hp 0-6-0DM as bought by the LMS in the early 1930s.

Could sell to LMS fans, military railway fans, and there were several industrial users. 

LMS 7051 is a good example, very interesting history, and preserved.

Also, the early Kerr Stuart locos. I remember the one that worked at Rom River Reinforcements somewhere in the Trent Valley, which I think originally belonged to The Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway, and I think is now preserved at Foxfield.

Its a class that spans c50 years in operation.

I don't think that 7051 (w/n 1697 of 1932) should be in contention at all. It, and the other Hunslets built for the LMS, were one-offs as far as I know (Mike Edge will know this for sure).  The radiators, cabs and bufferbeams on the LMS locos all look different to the industrial and wartime Hunslets and that's before knowing and comparing the dimensions. There's also about a decade between 7051 and the wartime stuff.

Edited by Ruston

• RMweb Premium

7051 (HE 1697) was the first standard gauge diesel built by Hunslet and was mostly based on steam loco design, it had little in common with later "production" locos and was not repeated. The subsequent locos for the LMS were also fairly experimental, 7052 and 7053 were similar, being an enlarged version of the first one. 7054 was a further development and had the longest life in service, mostly at various Yorkshire collieries before scrapping in 1974. I haven't located the drawings for any of the last three yet but they may well be at Statfold Barn.

The Fowler 0-6-0 in the above list is also a bit of a rarity, they didn't build many 6 wheel locos but the similarly styled 0-4-0 was built in some quantity.

A bit late I know - but that's me all over!  How about the HC PLA Class 0-6-0 side tanks?  A nice 'cobby' sort of loco as someone once said about something else.  Plenty in NCB use in the north east at least - and on the docks somewhere darn sarf.

• RMweb Gold

Right then, time to put the next poll together. I was thinking of doing 4 wheeled diesels.

Current suggestions:

Fowler 0-4-0DM - 421 Class

post-898-0-98539200-1541515036.png

Fowler 0-4-0DM - Old type (don't know class/designation)

post-898-0-30071000-1541514996.png

Ruston 88DS

post-494-0-56892100-1502739961.jpg

Ruston 44/48HP (tooling could probably also do a 48DS)

post-494-0-83895900-1499094871.jpg

Ruston 0-4-0DM

post-898-0-75205000-1541514940.png

EE Stephenson 0-4-0DH

post-898-0-36134100-1541515251.png

Armstrong-Whitworth 0-4-0DE

post-898-0-16655000-1541515318.png

YEC 0-4-0DH/0-4-0DE

post-898-0-00262800-1541515399.png

Andrew Barclay 0-4-0DM

post-898-0-09871400-1541515532.png

Hibberd Planet 4wDM

post-898-0-68090400-1541549112.png

Simplex Shunter (Petrol)

post-898-0-14590400-1541549121.png

I welcome suggestions!

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

From a purely selfish point of view, the smaller of the two Rustons here would be ideal, because I could move the buffers inwards and downwards and it would sit happily on my 1:87 layout. Especially if it could have a compensated chassis like the REE Moyse 2. My Moyse 2 refuses to stall, I have never had 4-wheel mechanism run so well. Having all four wheels on the track all the time makes for tremendous running.

- Richard.

Right then, time to put the next poll together. I was thinking of doing 4 wheeled diesels.

YEC 0-4-0DM

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-11-06 at 14.42.59.png

I welcome suggestions!

Hi Corbs,

Would any of the petrol fuelled Simplex type contraptions be suitable for this category ?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101829-15098-simplex-shunter/

Or a Hibberd perhaps ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142340440@N04/26663247102/

The YEC 0-4-0 DM looks like you have chopping up a Triang Dock Authority and re-arranging the bits on top of a Nellie chassis.

Just in case you have nothing to do once you have finished your Garrets.

Just to disgrace myself, wrong type of suggestion I know but one can try.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

The "YEC 0-4-0DM" definitely isn't a DM. It's either a DE or a DH. The one in the photo looks more like a DH. The DE looks similar but the engine casing on a DE is pretty much the same as on a Janus

I did wonder about the LH&JC 0-6-2T locos et al. - I think we will need to have a misc. category for the ones that don't fit into the main groups.

If you are going to do an ex-mainline category, can you stick in the North Staffs New L Class please?

All in favour of the 0-4-0 diesel poll. Like your choices as well. When does the voting open for that?

Chris.

If you are going to do an ex-mainline category, can you stick in the North Staffs New L Class please?

All in favour of the 0-4-0 diesel poll. Like your choices as well. When does the voting open for that?

Chris.

Should we be doing ex-mainline at all? I would say no. The other main poll already takes care of mainline stuff. Some of it did get further use in industry but if you want a mainline type then vote for it in the main poll and if a model is made they'll probably make one in whatever industrial livery it carried to maximise sales. Even if they don't it's not a problem to repaint it.

Should we be doing ex-mainline at all? I would say no. The other main poll already takes care of mainline stuff. Some of it did get further use in industry but if you want a mainline type then vote for it in the main poll and if a model is made they'll probably make one in whatever industrial livery it carried to maximise sales. Even if they don't it's not a problem to repaint it.

You do have a point Dave.

This poll is becoming very complicated and the ex-mainline stuff just muddies the issue more! 

In any case, I think we have a tasty enough selection to choose from already!!

Chris.