The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

49 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Our very own @Andrew P on bass at last night's open mic gig

Cheers Clive, actually this one was filmed a couple of weeks back, but was still "in the can" as they say.

Not sure if the 24 minute version from me / "CHANCE ENCOUNTER" has been aired, other than on my own thread. Filmed over two weeks of Jam Sessions with NO rehearsals before hand, just strait in and a first take.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, steve1 said:

Probably the best 12” single ever released. (Marginally beating New Order’s Blue Monday, but only just.)

steve (Who is not a fan of dance music/EDM)

"Best" is subjective, I believe Blue Monday remains the biggest selling 12" to date. Not forgetting of course it was largely Trevor Horn's (yeah, him off Buggles) production that made it what it is. The kernel of a great track was there of course, but like Frankie's Relax it took a talented board maestro to make the most of it.

Personally, in the genre, I'd rank Stakker Humanoid or the self titled LFO waaay above any KLF output, which on reflection seems as if it purported to 'stick it to the man' but just made mediocre dance-pop. I never rated MC Bello much either unsurprisingly.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

On 22/03/2024 at 15:12, Rich_F said:

Seeing as I'm going to see them next Thurs at the Roundhouse with the gf 🙃

How'd that pan out Rich, and may I enquire who the support was?

C6T.

Just thought I'd plonk in links to the pair of 12"s I'd mentioned upthread:

My go-to for testing audio equipment, if the amp starts clipping or the speakers spit the magnet out, walk away!:

Acid House banger:

I'd grown up (late 70s early 80s) thinking Gary Numan, Kraftwerk etc al were the future. I had migrated to Hip-hop and funk in the intervening years but these two tracks specifically brought me back into what might broadly be described as Electronica.

C6T.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Classsix T said:

How'd that pan out Rich, and may I enquire who the support was?

C6T.

It was a good gig. Lots of classics but they also played 2-3 from their new album Black Red. 

Myself, the gf & a friend went drinking in Camden so we missed the support. But for each venue they had a smaller, different rock group supporting. 

Edited by Rich_F
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another woman with a powerful voice is Bonnie Tyler, and this is probably my favourite Bonnie Tyler song.  I also love the rather OTT video which had, for me at least, some very funny moments.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Bonnie Tyler song above was written by Billy Cross, who was a member of Bob Dylan's backing band before moving to Denmark in 1980.  There he has been a member of or collaborated with a number of bands including the Delta Blues Band which changed its name to the Delta Cross Band after he joined them.  Once known as Denmark's only blues band, this is their version of a former Muddy Waters song that, as an afficianodo of electric blues, I like a lot:

The imminent danger of flooding in  my downstairs room last week meant I dragged up my  boxes of old  CD's to safety just in case.  Which gave me the opportunity to go through them.

Most of them are from the late 80's/early 90's and after checking them out I have to say - , what a brilliant time in music that was.  I have grunge Cd's from the  US - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots. Then other US stuff like Ween, Morphine to name a few. Plus the UK was getting noticed here for the first time since the 60's with Happy Mondays, James, Stone Roses, Blur  and all those trancy dancy bands. 

I came across a box labelled "Aus and NZ - 1990's" and have been playing them all over the last few days. Gotta say, much as it pains me to do given the trans-tasman rivalry that we have to carry on with by law, but  NZ had some brilliant early 1990's bands. "The Headless Chickens", "The Bats", "The Chills"......

In return we had "The Triffids", "The Go Betweens", "The Cruel Sea", "Silverchair" (Nirvana in Pyjamas..) , heaps of others plus Nick Cave. His 1990 album "The Good Son", I have on LP from when it first came out, on CD when I bought a CD player, and its on my Spotify list now too .. 

The Ship  Song is unlike any other OZ song you'll hear from that period, but it  made number 22 or something of the best 100  songs ever in a poll by the local government indie radio station here in 1993. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/04/2024 at 22:58, KeithMacdonald said:

I except loads of us have heard this on the low-fi radio.

It's taken me many years to realise what a beautiful prayer is within.

Fabulous Prince penned track.

C6T.

Looked it up to fact check and can confirm The Purple One did indeed write and produce.

Additionally, I always really liked what was done with the snare drum on the track. I don't know the production terminology but I could replicate it on a capable mixer by adding echo (reverb?) and dipping and returning the volume fader a split second after the drum was struck.

I'm not a fan of double tracking vocals and self recorded BVs, but the track does it so well it's remained a piece of music I've adored since it's release.

Edited by Classsix T
  • Informative/Useful 1

Continuing on my Nick Cave rediscovery tour.... 

A Johnny Cash cover of the Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds classic , laid over  visuals  from the 1938 James Cagney Death Row RomCom date Movie - , Angels  With Dirty Faces.

A cheer up song!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/04/2024 at 15:21, monkeysarefun said:

Continuing on my Nick Cave rediscovery tour.... 

A Johnny Cash cover of the Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds classic , laid over  visuals  from the 1938 James Cagney Death Row RomCom date Movie - , Angels  With Dirty Faces.

A cheer up song!

Excellent cover of a brilliant song.

On 07/04/2024 at 11:06, Torper said:

Another woman with a powerful voice is Bonnie Tyler, and this is probably my favourite Bonnie Tyler song.  I also love the rather OTT video which had, for me at least, some very funny moments.

I can recommend this album by The Welsh Warbler. The duets with Rod Stewart and Francis Rossi being particular highlights.

steve

F6334987-98A3-49F8-A19E-A1EFF1D6FF62.jpeg

Edited by steve1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cosmic Psychos have a run of UK dates coming up. They started back in 1989 and played in the early '90's with Nirvana, L7, Mudhoney and those other US bands that came over here at that time to play  the Big Day Out Gigs, and all cited the Cosmic Psychics as an influence on them.

Eddie Vedder became great mates with the band and most indie US bands who toured here in the 90's and later  ended up spending time at Ross Knights farm to hang out. 

I saw them  at several gigs down Wollongong in the late 90's.

Australian no bullsh1t rock and roll!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...