RMweb

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

Tonight: It`s all in the vocal timing..........

'Bossa Nova' Medley (1967)........Sinatra and Jobim...........Frank`s vocals are so relaxed and easy; what a natural! :music_mini2:

.....and enjoying a fag during the performance! :sungum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRbmfX7-nMw&feature=colike

'Masquerade' George Benson (1976)........just wonderful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ibK5L2a4I&feature=colike

Edited by Debs.

• RMweb Gold

'Bossa Nova' Medley (1967)........Sinatra and Jobim...........

'Masquerade' George Benson (1976)........just wonderful!

Jobim's influence in that era was considerable - I think Ole Blue Eyes did album versions of some of his songs with the full Nelson Riddle treatment, too. In those days music was "arranged"! I loved bossa from the moment I heard Joe Harnell's "Fly Me To The Moon" on Juke Box Jury a few years earlier!

As a George Benson admirer, I always regret his move to being a singer and "entertainer" instead of a very fine jazz guitarist, and this number is not his best, TBH, nor my fave rendition of the toon. That is divided between Leon Russell - my Deb had the album when we met - with an intro to die for, and Gene Harris.

• Like 2

..........Gene Harris.

Thanks Ian........an hour (or two) has been utterly-enthralled by your mention of Gene Harris. :read:

Fully agree with you about George Benson........I guess that commercial-pressures were at work! :yes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

....and Winter came by Enya....surely one of the best seasonal albums available!

Definitely. I tend to alternate it with The Jethro Tull Christmas Album in the car throughout December!

OMS today - Mostly Autumn "Still Beautiful".

• RMweb Premium

I saw Florence + the Machine yesterday at the O2 on the Ceremonials tour and despite the cavenous venue it was still amazing, Flo belted out the hits and included a fantastic piano solo during 'Lover to Lover', and there's no denying it here, that harp is nothing but damn cool! :)

• Like 1

Picked up a corking Miles Davis 3-cd set at Sainsburys this week (other large purchasing emporiums are available etc), current favourite track which is always on in the car is 'Milestones' from 1958... it sounds like it should be part of the soundtrack to some long lost b&w film set in the dingy streets of Soho c.1960... ;-)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to the whole of 'Rumours' for the first time in several years. I had forgotten just how great that album is - not a single 'filler' track. And Christine McVie's voice on 'Songbird' is perfect (see what I did there?)

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

Bored at work.. things are winding down for the Christmas holidays... leads way to loads of time for music...

Listened to Jeff Waynes' Musical Version of the War of the Worlds - Excellent!

Part One Part Two

Have Grooveshark going again...

last: Stalker - Covenant

current: Fade to Black – Apoptygma Berzerk

next: Deutschmashine – And One

Edited by br-nse-fan

Saw the Overtones in Portsmouth a few weeks ago, they were great! We also got to meet them after the gig and my children had their photo taken with some of the band.

Saw Matt Taylor and The Motves a few weeks before. Fantastic blues music.

Father Christmas bought me CDs by Led Zepplin,Little Feat,Jools Holland, Chilli Peppers and an American1970s jazz compilation that includes a variety of jazz including the art ensemble of Chicago. Truth is that I order my own CDs apart from the Jools Holland.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A YouTube clip of exceptional length - nearly 2 hours. Skip the first few minutes of Japanese langauge talking heads. If you go to 1 hr 29 mins you will hear Fourplay perform Bob James's Westchester Lady (first released in 1976 on "Bob James 3") with a full philharmonic orchestra, and an extra bridge section by - er - Mussorgsky! All the musicians are having such a great time! See the Japanese lady violinists smiling as Nathan East does his bass intro bit. And pianist Bob James - aged 70 in this film - looks rather pleased, too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aui1jcb1Gm4

Currently listening to my Christmas Cds;
Mumford & Sons new album,
The tripple Rolling Stones best of
and "Teenage Kicks" punk/ new wave compilation (most of my collection of that era is on vinyl, so I don't get to hear it!) 

All cracking stuff :)

....todays download of the new 'Les Miserables' soundtrack....superb!

A recent Vienese evening with 'The Halle' orchestra does however still have a considerable edge over it.

Cheers

Dave    

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Rob Cottingham - Captain Blue. Which I've reviewed here - http://www.kalyr.com/weblog/2013/01/12/rob-cottingham-captain-blue/

Yes - 90125. Think Yes managed the transition from 70s prog-rock to 80s pop-rock more successfully than Genesis, artistically if not commercially. Othrs might not agree.

Talking Heads - Remain in Light. A band orders of magnitude better than 99% of bands that cite them as an influence.

UFO - The Crysalis Years 73-79. All five disks worth. It's the whole of the Michael Schenker years, featuring five studio albums, the live double "Strangers in the Night", a handful of BBC sessions and a live radio broadcast from 1973.

Thing that stands out is just what a phenominal guitarist Michael Schenker was in his 70s prime.

Mary Gauthier, Genesis( the Early Years). No, not that Genesis!.She is a brilliant American singer-songwriter. I suppose if you had to classify her it would be Country, but it's more than that.

BTW she is pronounced "Go-shay" and I got the CD cheap from HMV the day before  the demise was announced.

Ed