The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

Not sure how well known Roy and HG are in the rest of the world. They are a national institution here as sporting commentators and their call of the Sydney 2000 Olympics Greco Roman wrestling is heritage listed. Anyway, after spending a couple of years in the wilderness they are back on Saturday morning radio here and the episodes are  on Spotify. The great thing about them, is the less you are interested in sport, the funnier they are.

https://open.spotify.com/show/30uZrMK7q6ELYyOX5VYYnT

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad to hear Damien Lovelock passed away this weekend. The Celibate Rifles were one of the first bands I saw live back around 1982. Sad when your punk rock heroes start dying of natural causes rather than lifestyle excesses.

Really interesting life, he was also one of our better football commentators, a yoga teacher,  a  friend of the Dalai lama  and general  top bloke.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Pop Quiz! 

I'm looking for two tracks on Spotify, but don't know the name of the songs or the artistes, which as you can imagine is something of a handicap! 

Song 1 has the chorus: "Funny how the girls you like never seem to fancy you, funny that the ones you don't do". A mid-nineties barely bothered the chart tune, possibly. 

Song 2 (not Blur) starts off as a melodic tune, a song of true love etc, but the singer really goes into it full bore proclaiming "DOWN CAME THE RAAAIIINNN!" at the chorus. Searching that title reveals nowt. It's a corker pop pickers so I'm hoping the assembled can help.

Prizes on offer include my eternal gratitude and me poking my screen to activate an icon beneath your answer.

C6T. 

2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Pop Quiz! 

I'm looking for two tracks on Spotify, but don't know the name of the songs or the artistes, which as you can imagine is something of a handicap! 

Song 1 has the chorus: "Funny how the girls you like never seem to fancy you, funny that the ones you don't do". A mid-nineties barely bothered the chart tune, possibly. 

Song 2 (not Blur) starts off as a melodic tune, a song of true love etc, but the singer really goes into it full bore proclaiming "DOWN CAME THE RAAAIIINNN!" at the chorus. Searching that title reveals nowt. It's a corker pop pickers so I'm hoping the assembled can help.

Prizes on offer include my eternal gratitude and me poking my screen to activate an icon beneath your answer.

C6T. 

I'll  give it a go for the chance to win a like......

Number one could be Airhead?  I vaguely remember it would occasionally pop up in the early hours on 'Rage' (an all Friday and Saturday night indie-style music video show on the ABC here).

I

For the second one - I'm going to go with  Incy wincy Spider -probably   the Indian remix version...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

22 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'll  give it a go for the chance to win a like......

Number one could be Airhead?  I vaguely remember it would occasionally pop up in the early hours on 'Rage' (an all Friday and Saturday night indie-style music video show on the ABC here).

I

For the second one - I'm going to go with  Incy wincy Spider -probably   the Indian remix version...

'kin hell! I was expecting an answer to song 2 more or less immediately (to whit, you are pulling my plonker, right!?) but I believe you've nailed song 1, gold star! 

Jesus, I must've only heard that on the radio, the video, "a depiction of everyday life in jolly ole' England" (literally Farage/Johnson propaganda 20 years early ffs!) is so s***t! The record company must've literally demanded a manufactured britpop blur/oasis/supergrass clone for sales.

Thing is, when I head that lyric on the radio, I thought it was profound, and it is! Worthy of Dylan, Simon, Waters or Yankovic even.

But they aren't even good looking... blimey. 

Thanx monkeys, I think! C6T. 

Ah don't worry if you think your country produces some iffy videos, we have our own version  of videos presenting a slice of 'everyday life' , along with with equally profound lyrics -

I present from a bit earlier, Outline with 'The Cicada That Ate Five Dock....' which you must watch as part of my prize.

which

6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Ah don't worry if you think your country produces some iffy videos, we have our own version  of videos presenting a slice of 'everyday life' , along with with equally profound lyrics -

I present from a bit earlier, Outline with 'The Cicada That Ate Five Dock....' which you must watch as part of my prize.

which

Well, they aren't the Velvet Underground that's for sure, but there's an appealing 'arthouse' quality (none) to it. Probably 15 or more years after The New York Dolls, Ramones, Blondie, Sex Pistols etc had done it, but hey. 

They didn't tick the box of national stereotypes like Asshead did by having sodding Morris Dancers. And before any fellow English get the hump, I cherish Morris Dancing as something quintessentially English, I'm criticising the robbery of my culture to sell records.

Men at Work 'Down Under' there's a tune, mentions Vegimite! 

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Men at Work 'Down Under' there's a tune, mentions Vegimite! 

Written by Colin Hay - not the first, nor likely to be the last, Scot to go Down Under and become a musical success.  'Men at Work' - a great band, and grossly underrated by the press.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a blinding bit of Aussie pop/post-punk/rock... I picked up the record in a shop on my first visit to Sydney in the 80s, thought "this looks good" but didn't buy it and never heard it until years later ... at which point I wished I'd got it at the time!

Ed Kuepper was in The Saints and has made some very fine records.

• Like 2

The rather more accomplished MAW UK hit:

Aussie success has been rather hit n miss in the UK, soap opera actors notwithstanding. I did actually buy 'Suddenly' by Angry Anderson, cracking tune.

But then, UK Pub Rock acts like Ian Dury, Dr. Feelgood etc also only had limited appeal in the UK, much as music aficionados cherish them.

Nobody mentions Joe Dolche BTW.

C6T. 

2 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Written by Colin Hay - not the first, nor likely to be the last, Scot to go Down Under and become a musical success.  'Men at Work' - a great band, and grossly underrated by the press.

The most obvious one - at least for Australians would be  Jimmy Barnes, fire alarm voiced drinking machine  and lead singer of Cold Chisel. Their song "Khe Sanh" about an Australian Vietnam Vet (we had them too though the US seems to think it owns them all) returning to civilian life has been a staple shouted out by drunken hordes hugging each other  tearfully  at every  18th/21st/engagement party etc etc etc since 1978... Kind of like our "Auld Lang Syne" I guess..

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Here's a blinding bit of Aussie pop/post-punk/rock... I picked up the record in a shop on my first visit to Sydney in the 80s, thought "this looks good" but didn't buy it and never heard it until years later ... at which point I wished I'd got it at the time!

Ed Kuepper was in The Saints and has made some very fine records.

Check out the Laughing Clowns, his band between The Saints and his solo stuff. Quite a departure but really likeable.

1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

The rather more accomplished MAW UK hit:

Aussie success has been rather hit n miss in the UK, soap opera actors notwithstanding. I did actually buy 'Suddenly' by Angry Anderson, cracking tune.

But then, UK Pub Rock acts like Ian Dury, Dr. Feelgood etc also only had limited appeal in the UK, much as music aficionados cherish them.

Nobody mentions Joe Dolche BTW.

C6T. 

WE had some good stuff  to see every weekend back in the 80s  before the pubs all got shut down. Sunnyboys, Midnight Oil, The Angels etc etc.

Things started to peter out  in the '90's a bit apart from a few notables like the Cruel Sea and "This Is Serious Mum"  (aka TISM) who had classics like  "He'll never be an Ol Man River (aka "I'm on  the Drug that killed River Pheonix" ) and "Greg... The Stop Sign!"  which is everything Kylie and Jason of the '90's isn't..

Went to see them at the old Hordern Pavillion and the gig was pretty much like this one...

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for posting that link to 'Khe Sanh'.  Despite being old enough to remember seeing the evacuation of Saigon on TV, and having met a couple of Australian veterans of the Vietnam war, this is the first time I've heard a song about it from their perspective.

Again, thanks for that.

Regards,

Alex.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...