The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

Had this on my Spotify playlist for ages but only just hunted down the film version. That pounding kickdrum sound takes me back to so many early '80's nights watching pub bands in Sydney before the insurance, complaining neighbours moving  to live near a live music pub and fire regulations closed down all the venues.

Just in case you don't speak Astrayan, "Smoko" is morning tea, its not some weird drug they are on...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

... watching pub bands in Sydney before the insurance, complaining neighbours moving  to live near a live music pub and fire regulations closed down all the venues.

So that doesn't just happen in  GB then...

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Had this on my Spotify playlist for ages but only just hunted down the film version. That pounding kickdrum sound takes me back to so many early '80's nights watching pub bands in Sydney before the insurance, complaining neighbours moving  to live near a live music pub and fire regulations closed down all the venues.

Just in case you don't speak Astrayan, "Smoko" is morning tea, its not some weird drug they are on...

This keeps coming up as a recommended viewing when I watch Camp Cope or the Spazzys. I am glad I have watch it, quite enjoyable.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I volunteer at the Mid Hants. One the guys there is Martin Orford who was a very well respected keyboard player until he decided to quit. He was a progressive rock player, with IQ, Jadis, John Wetton etc. Just got his last solo album called 'The Old Road' it is great. A wonderful mix of keyboards, guitar, well recommended for those who liked early Genesis, Yes etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back to Mostly Autumn's latest, White Rainbow.

Saw them live in Tavistock last night, playing an absolutely barnstorming set.  First half was classics/old favourites, and the second half featured a hefty chunk of new material from White Rainbow, some of it being played live for the first time.

Absolutely marvelous!

Dave.

On 12/05/2019 at 09:51, kipford said:

I volunteer at the Mid Hants. One the guys there is Martin Orford who was a very well respected keyboard player until he decided to quit. He was a progressive rock player, with IQ, Jadis, John Wetton etc. Just got his last solo album called 'The Old Road' it is great. A wonderful mix of keyboards, guitar, well recommended for those who liked early Genesis, Yes etc.

Apart from Martin Orford himself of course there are some top musicians on 'The Old Road', and a message of thanks to the Mid-Hants Railway ! An excellent album.

• RMweb Premium

I have always like Mary Timoney's music, Autoclave, helium, her solo work , the Spills and Wild Flag. I find Ex Hex is her best stuff as it is more rock and roll. I am sure it is the influence of Betsy and Laura.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 19:13, DLT said:

Back to Mostly Autumn's latest, White Rainbow.

Saw them live in Tavistock last night, playing an absolutely barnstorming set.  First half was classics/old favourites, and the second half featured a hefty chunk of new material from White Rainbow, some of it being played live for the first time.

Absolutely marvelous!

Dave.

Dave

Thanks for reminding me I must get tickets for the gig Friday week in York. White Rainbow is a wonderful dedication to Liam, he was a lovely free spirit.

Paul

• 1 month later...

One of my sons sent me a link to this. Good song, and some nice Chessy System footage, though I hope some of it, especially some of the yard shots, was sped up for the video!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting post rock...

55Deltic's track 'Didcot Newbury And Southampton Railway'

A mostly vegetarian, DIY, rail renationalisation band from Nottingham.

And they are playing in Reading a week Saturday (13th). Sadly/annoyingly, I'm already at a gig that evening, otherwise I'd go (in either an Eastfield or ILikeTrains tee o/  )

Oooh... you could have bought a limited edition vinyl album pressed in BR Banger Blue! Sold out, sadly :( 

• RMweb Gold
On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:51, kipford said:

Martin taught me to fire steam. He still plays, I saw him with Jadis last year.

Roy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently got Spotify as part of my mobile phone contract renewal, so have been compiling a playlist of tracks I've bought or particularly liked over the years, something for everyone I think!

I've been trying to ascertain if there's any commonality to a track's inclusion..?

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium
On 15/07/2019 at 06:48, Classsix T said:

Recently got Spotify as part of my mobile phone contract renewal, so have been compiling a playlist of tracks I've bought or particularly liked over the years, something for everyone I think!

I've been trying to ascertain if there's any commonality to a track's inclusion..?

C6T. 

Hi C6T

There is some commonality I can see, many of the tracks are ones I would like to listen to. There are few that I wouldn't want to but we all have our own likes and dislikes. Glad to see a Spirit track on the list, I was lucky to meet the band after a gig. I was part of the stage crew. On the same bill was The Police, first act on, they didn't come and chat to the roadies and stage crew. The other band was ATV, they joined Spirit. I will let you guess at one of the tracks I would not want to listen too.

• Like 1

Anyone who's been to a civil wedding this century is likely to have heard this tune knocked out during the ceremony by a string quartet.  Believe me, as an ex-professional wedding photographer, I was thoroughly sick to death of hearing it after the first 100 weddings, never mind the following 300.  What a dirge!  Anyhow, I had no idea that it can actually sound beautiful when played properly.  So here we go, with what one bride famously requested as "Pack A Bell's Cannon In Dee" ...

On 17/07/2019 at 22:02, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi C6T

There is some commonality I can see, many of the tracks are ones I would like to listen to. There are few that I wouldn't want to but we all have our own likes and dislikes. Glad to see a Spirit track on the list, I was lucky to meet the band after a gig. I was part of the stage crew. On the same bill was The Police, first act on, they didn't come and chat to the roadies and stage crew. The other band was ATV, they joined Spirit. I will let you guess at one of the tracks I would not want to listen too.

Hi Clive 

The Spirit, Nice and Jeff Airplane tracks (amongst others) was on a compilation album I got years ago called On The Road Again. Some music just stays with you!

Shame about the Police, Stuart Copeland is probably my favorite drummer, and if there's anything in common with the majority of those playlist songs it's probably my liking for good bass and drums.

C6T. 

3 hours ago, spikey said:

Anyone who's been to a civil wedding this century is likely to have heard this tune knocked out during the ceremony by a string quartet.  Believe me, as an ex-professional wedding photographer, I was thoroughly sick to death of hearing it after the first 100 weddings, never mind the following 300.  What a dirge!  Anyhow, I had no idea that it can actually sound beautiful when played properly.  So here we go, with what one bride famously requested as "Pack A Bell's Cannon In Dee" ...

Sorry spike, I zoned out. When does the drummer come in sounding like a kit falling down a flight of stairs? (tee hee!) 

C6T.