Hornby Advent Calendar 2018

Hroth

• RMweb Premium

Aren't we being a bit unfair? There are a few offers and some of the other days' "treats" are potentially useful for parents/grandparents looking for present ideas. The Advent Calendar is clearly not aimed at the serious modellers found on RMWeb but at a more entry level. If seen in isolation rather than being measured against what has gone before, the balance so far seems reasonable.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

Aren't we being a bit unfair? There are a few offers and some of the other days' "treats" are potentially useful for parents/grandparents looking for present ideas. The Advent Calendar is clearly not aimed at the serious modellers found on RMWeb but at a more entry level. If seen in isolation rather than being measured against what has gone before, the balance so far seems reasonable.

You forget brushman - this is RMWeb. Ho,Ho, Ho!

When Hornby started doing the Advent Calendar, there was a sprinkling of tasty offers interspersed with the competitions and less obvious filler than we are getting this year (Videos/Xmas Wishlist/Mag article).  Todays effort is a pretty sad cracker joke.  The problem is that advice at this point is a bit pointless and if you're hoping to win a trainset for a gift, then good luck!

However, lets be positive and wish Hornby a Happy Christmas!

(and there's another 12 days for them to surprise us all!)

• Like 4

It's just that I felt the joke was a bit groanworthy.

The best snowman joke is this one. Probably not suitable for a family audience like Hatton's have.

The worst job I ever had was as a forensicologist for the United Nations. One time I thought I'd come across the mass grave of a thousand snowmen, but it turns out it was just a field of carrots.

Jason

16th December:

One lucky entrant wins Hornby Collectors Club membership, worth £28, for a year.  Just enter your details on the competition page!

Get one of those coveted 0-4-0 locos.  Sadly it won't be a Peckett or Sentinel, but there you go....

18th December:

Seeing as how its now past our Christmas delivery deadline, find a local stockist!

Or they could just tease us with pictures of locomotives and rolling stock that Hornby have announced over the previous few years and then not produced.  Just as useful!

An email from Hornby that arrived this evening suggested that as there was one week to Christmas, there were only one week of treats left from the "Hornby Advent Calendar".  Treats?   I've obviously been looking at the wrong Calendar!

Edited by Hroth

21st December:

Ring out Solstice Bells!

Todays Hornby Advent Calender Treat is the chance to win £100 to spend on the Hornby Website.  No Social Media entanglements, just give Hornby your name and email and keep your fingers, etc crossed!

23rd December:

After yesterdays "cracker joke", Hornby have gone meta.  Todays Advent calendar offering is a factoid about the invention of christmas crackers.

(Best Michael Caine impression) Not many people know that!

• Like 1