Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

spring wire as sketched, or Slaters buffer spring as installed in that one.  Or cop out, glue up solid, or equalise as I suggested.  All good solutions.

the spring wire can be formed like a hairpin with one leg lying along the floor, and the other bent up so that it presses just in the middle of the axlebox - I keep trying to get the "perfect" design but I'm not there yet...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Thanks guys. Interesting stuff. Definitely not going down the cop out glueing them in route. 

Cheers, Ade.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/169238-parkside-compensation-springing/#comment-4692242

I started some musings on springing here and Simon and others added some good links to people's previous attempts.

I've also used a paperclip before now to turn parkside into 3 point compensation which keeps the wheels on the track well but springing takes all the vibrations out.

Of course if you really wanted to go to town you could spring all 4 axle boxes and have a rocker unit :)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Managed to get a coat of primer on.

Also folded up the handrails which was not as hard to do as I had imagined plus assembled the buffers and screw link couplings. 

So a good productive day.

IMG_8063.JPG

IMG_8067.JPG

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
Replacing missing photos
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob.

The paint has hardened off enough now for me to get the buffers on. The handrails are just slotted in place. They cannot be fitted properly until the roof is glued in place.

Hopefully I will get the chassis and the van ends sprayed black this week. 

Cheers, Ade.

IMG_8072.JPG

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
Replacing missing photos
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Ade,

I’ve never seen the roof handrails with sharp corners at the top.  All the ones I’ve seen have a semicircular curve.

sorry the picture’s awful, but hope you can see what I mean

image.jpg.5b1595cd69061088e77dd15c91e98e55.jpg

it’s a crop from Russell GW Coaches 1903-1948.  Pg 96.  

There’s a similar van on pg 88, and an almost identical picture on pg 228.

I make mine by putting the semicircle in first, (bend round a 1/4” drill) then a 60-75 degree bend outboard, and then form the gentle curve by hand.  Once it looks like it’ll line up nicely, I put the hard bend in at the bottom, and trim to length.

hth

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for all the likes.

Got the final coat of brown paint done and also gloss varnished the areas where the decals will sit. I am going with the late 1930's GWR shirtbutton livery.

Just one setback. Had a buffer retaining nut come off and lost a buffer to the carpet monster. Hopefully I will pick up a spare at Kettering in few weeks time.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That's turned out real nice Ade. One thing I figured out early on with the Parkside kits was to buy sets of their buffers for just the spare parts. It's been real handy for me in particular considering BA standard nuts are practically unobtanium in the USA.

If you're still pondering the round top handrails, I've worked them from the bottom up and top down with equal success. I use round nose pliers for the sharp curve at the top.

-Zach

Edited by nsl714
grammer
  • Thanks 1