Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

WOW

:D

Thanks mate.

I don't think I'll be doing this commercially... It took all afternoon to produce four wheels... :O

Al

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

:D

Thanks mate.

I don't think I'll be doing this commercially... It took all afternoon to produce four wheels... :O

Al

And I needed a batch of 100 for my scrap yard.:nono::fie::rolleyes::D

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

As we've moved on a page, here's a reminder of what the scratchbuilt wheels and tyres looked like:

ladmanlow773.jpg.d36801f8266b8cb613a533ec419558bb.jpg

And here they are painted:

ladmanlow774.jpg.9d6409a742f90132b6c2f0f06f0e0183.jpg

ladmanlow775.jpg.fd71d8d9a4b261829f9f758e124207d6.jpg

ladmanlow776.jpg.a5c1f92534721f0b24f95828d63c952b.jpg

ladmanlow777.jpg.5a10a42afa4cffdc3cbd68efda1652c8.jpg

A bit rough and ready, but they'll do to hide in the undergrowth.

Thanks for looking.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
words
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

What surprised me is that I couldn't find anyone who supplies wheels and tyres in 1/76 or 1/72 scales, which I thought would be a thing. even the bay of e came up short.

I didn't look on Shapeways or places like that though, I must admit.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Can you hear the sound of drums?

No? Just me then... :crazy::crazy:

ladmanlow781.jpg.7b11c54ec897459599292c79472c68b7.jpg

ladmanlow783.jpg.4882202f0169dda3e1778d5f3cfd75cd.jpg

And a pallet or two as well.

You'll perhaps notice I've tried to take the ground cover up here back to something more like it was - I added some of the brighter green earlier in the week, but it's not grown on me. :unsure:

So I've taken it back down to the scrubby short grass with the earth showing through in front of the grounded van and across where the Landy is parked.

I think that looks better.

ladmanlow782.jpg.5bff70fe186516eec8b3d6e9248aaf96.jpg

I can begin to add the rougher longer grass around the van and bric-a-brac now.

By the way, these shots have all been taken using just the LED strips for lighting, I set up a test rig to try different positions:

ladmanlow785.jpg.37a47be3ca907be0a03a933763d1ed30.jpg

I think the colour balance with both strips works well, and there doesn't seem to be a multitude of shadows either, which is something I've seen mentioned regarding LED strips.

ladmanlow784.jpg.a112317648273ef9cf35e27594dee557.jpg

That's all for now,

Al.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

Hi Alister G,

What period is your layout?

I only ask because the head lights on Land Rovers moved from between the wings to being in the wings in 1968.

Gordon A

Ah, you caught me :)

The Land Rover was modelled as a Series 3, and is therefore just out of period for the layout, which is dated between '65 and '67 when the line closed.

I have been thinking about building another one (Land Rovers are an obsession of mine) so if I do I'll build it as a Series 2 / 2A with the lights in the rad panel, and it can take over here.

There are other subtle differences between the two which would be interesting to model - the bonnet is a plain sheet and not bevelled on the Series 2, and the vanity skirts under the doors are deeper as well.

Cheers Gordon.

Al

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Alister_G said:

After a quick blast of matt varnish, here they are on the layout:

ladmanlow778.jpg.0e5f9f3492977dc3f32f6171bc63d914.jpg

ladmanlow780.jpg.66a01f064fa26df10dec33bd8b1f2cce.jpg

ladmanlow779.jpg.3418c732097f7997e5a2e1b106d8a4c2.jpg

Al.

I knew you could do it.

I on the other hand would have ended up with tiny bits of plastic stuck to my fingers and cursing everything in sight.

Your patience and ingenuity know no bounds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Ah, you caught me :)

The Land Rover was modelled as a Series 3, and is therefore just out of period for the layout, which is dated between '65 and '67 when the line closed.

I have been thinking about building another one (Land Rovers are an obsession of mine) so if I do I'll build it as a Series 2 / 2A with the lights in the rad panel, and it can take over here.

There are other subtle differences between the two which would be interesting to model - the bonnet is a plain sheet and not bevelled on the Series 2, and the vanity skirts under the doors are deeper as well.

Cheers Gordon.

Al

Snap!  I own a S2 swb bitsa which I use for green laning, and am an active member of the Series 2 Club. :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Snap!  I own a S2 swb bitsa which I use for green laning, and am an active member of the Series 2 Club. :-)

I'm very jealous, over the years I've had a Series 2, two Series 3s, (all 88") then a One-Ten Station Wagon (chassis number 6 on a Y plate) then a Defender 90 300Tdi, two Discovery 300Tdis, and I currently run a Discovery TD5. And I now really miss having a Series, but I can't justify (or afford) the cost of one now.

It's funny, detailing the layout with odd mechanical bits, and realising that I've got an R380 gearbox and LT230 transfer box under tarpaulins in my dad's bottom field :) I really ought to do something with them.

Al.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've missed catching up with this thread for a couple of weeks, love the progress with the wall and field "junk". 

I've given LED lighting a lot of thought, and settled on "Natural White", which is about 4000k. It's harder to find than "warm" or "cool" white, but I find they are either too yellow, or too blue. In fact the strip you are using appears to have an odd purple-pink tinge, though maybe that's the camera reacting. I have seen good results from mixing both cool and warm LED's and I think you could make that work - but may take experimentation to get the right balance.

Anyway here's how the natural white LED's look on my embryonic layout - though I've actually had to fit a dimmer as two strips of the 5050 LED's is rather bright!

IMG_6871.JPG

The same lights used on my son's little layout:

IMG_5956

A couple of links to blog-posts that have more information:

http://michaelsrailways.blogspot.com/2019/06/adding-light-to-hexworthy.html

https://michaelsrailways.blogspot.com/2018/04/lighting-with-leds-experimentation.html

And these are the lights I used:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y67D1JH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that's helpful!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Michael,

That's great, thanks very much. Love the look of both your son's layout and the beginnings of yours too.

As seen earlier, I had decided to use the combination of a strip of warm-white, and a strip of daylight LEDs together, and I've been experimenting with placement above the layout in various positions. I hadn't considered the idea of dimming them, however, I must look into that.

Thanks very much for the ideas,

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A terrible thing has happened.

My kitchen has been re-purposed as a domestic area, and Ladmanlow has been forcibly evicted! :O :O

ladmanlow786.jpg.42a80456104c0e3eddf600b33cd53db0.jpg

As it happens, I won't be around much this weekend, as I'm going to Armitage for the Midland Small Layouts show tomorrow, and to Bakewell Model Railway show on Sunday, but still it's a dangerous precedent.

My daughter is planning a romantic dinner for two (to which I am most emphatically NOT invited) so I've got to keep out of the way tomorrow night.

There, that should have embarrassed her sufficiently... :D

Al

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Your daughter's dinner guest is not into trains?

That my friend is the more worrying aspect.  You will have to lay down some ground rules here Al.

• Agree 3