Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

This evening, I've had a bit of fettling, tidying up and so on, and then I've added some pan-scourer to the layout.

Here's the result:

ladmanlow989.jpg.ca9f024f9a6b853bc2be375bd3c5ac6b.jpg

ladmanlow988.jpg.d1637fee5148d8a8b759f1152bb1ba27.jpg

ladmanlow987.jpg.554b722d46c9ba4cb6d81e182fecd633.jpg

ladmanlow986.jpg.0c73cba6b502d310644bb48d6fdfe0e0.jpg

ladmanlow985.jpg.b7eb579399eead305436eda7df1c3dc4.jpg

The shrubbery isn't glued down yet, as I want to see how it settles in. Or grows on me...

Anyway, at first glance, I don't think it looks too bad.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Top stuff, Al. 

Bloody good show!!

20190815_063251.png

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I've put the layout back together with the fiddleyard, so I could hang the lights, and make sure the colours still look right under the layout lighting.

ladmanlow990.jpg.7e89f717aa73ced3900c596025cf843d.jpg

ladmanlow991.jpg.e48e27f7f971d68d70d38587ff61706a.jpg

I think that's about right, not too garish.

And of course, with the layout back together I had to test it, obviously...

ladmanlow992.jpg.567c7badbfe5d5bc585f702767f1c01b.jpg

ladmanlow993.jpg.f1fb57dee4124496bed55c80fb1cf198.jpg

ladmanlow994.jpg.03ebd7250aff5cd7b99ffae140d3c138.jpg

One other thing I managed to do, whilst the layout was in bits, was smooth out the transition between the track in the fiddleyard and the layout. If you've watched my recent video you will have seen there was a nasty bump, which I have now managed to level out with a slice of 20thou styrene sheet under the sleepers.

There will be a bit of video shortly.

Thanks for looking

Al.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

If you don’t mind the observation, your bushes/hedges are rather dense. Could you tease them out a bit, especially as the area is windswept?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Don't tell anyone, but I had two!!

So long as they weren't the last two...  If the shrubbery is growing on you, I'd advise moving about more.  

I'm liking the scouring pan shrubs a lot, and some might well be appearing on Cwmdimbath, especially if I buy new ones for the kitchen and 'cascade' the old ones!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

So long as they weren't the last two...  If the shrubbery is growing on you, I'd advise moving about more.  

I'm liking the scouring pan shrubs a lot, and some might well be appearing on Cwmdimbath, especially if I buy new ones for the kitchen and 'cascade' the old ones!

Here's how I do it:

Borrowed from Adrian (Westerhamstation)

Al.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sb67 said:

Looking loads better now Al, the embankments definitely soften the exit. What will you do with the backscene now? 

Build a Bridge to hide the entrance.:nono:

Yeah, No, I know, I'm just leaving.:sarcastic:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Build a Bridge to hide the entrance.:nono:

Yeah, No, I know, I'm just leaving.:sarcastic:

...and put a bus on it...

...which I have just boarded as I leave.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, sb67 said:

Looking loads better now Al, the embankments definitely soften the exit. What will you do with the backscene now? 

Thanks Steve, it has made a big difference, hasn't it. I think the bare expanse behind the buffers of the siding made the hole stand out, and now that's not the case. I would still like to use the idea of a roll of paper as the backscene, to avoid the sharp corners, but I need to either find some subtly coloured paper or some paint to apply to the roll of white that I have.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
spillong
  • Like 3

I agree about the sharp corners, I wonder if a darkish grey colour would be the way to go, seeing the black behind the embankment made me think of a dark foreboding stormy sky. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Hi Al - have you ever considered using 1mm Palight for a backscene with a curve? This material doesn’t snap like foamboard yet is still nice and rigid. 
Jay

https://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Animation/Set-Construction/Item/PVC-foamed-Palight-301-603mm/ITM6958

Thanks Jay, not seen that before.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

That's intriguing Stu, although I notice a number of the responses suggest making the fiddleyard black to hide any detail, as well, which is of course what I have done.

You could end up with an infinite regression of view blockers... :)

I think if I can get the backscene to be less glaringly white I will be happy with that. As you said in an earlier comment, everyone expects there to be a hole, it's just a matter of making it not stand out too much.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 2

Al,

Just thinking about it again, there is a more radical solution, which I'm hoping to progress for Friden, of making the fiddle yard a scenic cassette, in which case you don't have the problem.

All depends how you see that working for exhibitions, I suppose. I won't necessarily have that problem, as the layout is being built primarily for home use.

Geraint

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

Al,

Just thinking about it again, there is a more radical solution, which I'm hoping to progress for Friden, of making the fiddle yard a scenic cassette, in which case you don't have the problem.

All depends how you see that working for exhibitions, I suppose. I won't necessarily have that problem, as the layout is being built primarily for home use.

Geraint

I've seen this layout a few times and a scenic fiddle yard can work very well. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97332-neptune-street-yard-2015/

• Like 1