Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'll make certain that they send a proper ambulance.

land-rover-s2-marshall-ambulance-60d0d9fe62545.jpg.1848799d571c5ac3cfbb666f4078c88a.jpg

I have been known to drive one of these when I was duty medic, although it was in NATO green.

Regards Lez.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, really amazing piece of detail. Am I right in thinking that it is the three bearing engine you have built, rather than the later 5 bearing type.

It might be easier if you purchased a engine hoist if you are going to be lifting that out a lot. Well done and all the best Adrian.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Adrian, yep, it's the three-bearing one, it's a bit lighter :D

I know, I'm really struggling to lift it into the chassis, a good thing I didn't stick the Fairey overdrive on the back too...

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's the help you are getting from the assistant mechanic with the wrench!  I knew she (or the wrench) would come in handy.

Edited by Bogie
typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, despite showing you the Airfix kit at the start, so far I haven't used any of it, and it looks like I won't be able to use it for the axles, either.

Here's a reminder of what comes in the kit:

ladmanlow1646.jpg.8f7ca00541f118efcf467befd9eac7b3.jpg

They are molded all of a piece with the chassis rails, and to be honest are not a very good representation anyway - the differential housing is certainly not a round ball, as depicted in the kit.

Here's what a real one looks like:

lua458l19.jpg.c13bbe11578d16d0d50ba17708f34a67.jpg

So I think I'm going to use it merely for dimensions, and end up scratchbuilding the axles as well.

Need to have a think how I do that.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
replaced images
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Bogie said:

It's the help you are getting from the assistant mechanic with the wrench!  I knew she would come in handy.

Yep, she made all the difference, and she makes a good cuppa too... :)

Al.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

So I think I'm going to use it merely for dimensions, and end up scratchbuilding the axles as well.

Based on the "Triggers Broom" direction this build is going in, will you have a use for the cardboard box?, it seems to be the only bit of the kit you won't be replacing!

Mike.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Yep, she made all the difference, and she makes a good cuppa too... :)

Al.

Good to know!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Thanks mate, as usual I've given myself a silly target to achieve :nea::tease:

Al.

I would disagree, the workings of the Landrover is something that you are obviously very knowledgeable about. The vehicle is something that interests you just as much as railways.

Therefore you are creating what you know is there and in the condition that you would find it. 

I don't think that you even had a choice in how to go about modelling it! :D

That dynamo looks great, makes me think of the MOD waterproof version that adds another 30 pounds of engine weight.

This project is bringing back my modelling mojo!

Rob

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I would disagree, the workings of the Landrover is something that you are obviously very knowledgeable about. The vehicle is something that interests you just as much as railways.

Therefore you are creating what you know is there and in the condition that you would find it. 

I don't think that you even had a choice in how to go about modelling it! :D

That dynamo looks great, makes me think of the MOD waterproof version that adds another 30 pounds of engine weight.

This project is bringing back my modelling mojo!

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Yes, I guess you are right, and I must admit it's fired up my mojo as well.

Cheers mate.

Al.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Al, the battery tray is a nice inclusion, I have enclosed the wiring diagram for later. All the best Adrian.

wiring.JPG

From my experience you sit there with that in one hand, and the loom from the landy in the other, and try and work out what on earth the various previous owners have done to make the one not resemble the other in the slightest!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Nick C said:

From my experience you sit there with that in one hand, and the loom from the landy in the other, and try and work out what on earth the various previous owners have done to make the one not resemble the other in the slightest!

Yep, spot on.

Even unmessed with wiring can be a challenge, I can remember trying to find a blown fuse on a Ninety, which was stopping the radio, interior lights, horn and high-beam flash from working. According to the Haynes wiring diagram, they were all run off different fuses, which I considered unlikely, so I threw the Haynes away and looked at the legend printed inside the fusebox lid...

According to that, it should have been the 20Amp fuse in the top left of the fusebox. There wasn't a 20Amp fuse in the top left, it was a 15Amp, and it wasn't blown...

Eventually, after much cursing, and testing, I found it was the third from the left on the top row that had blown, which was marked up on the legend as the heater... The heater was working fine, thank you...

:banghead:

Al.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2