Northern Powerhouse? Unlikely if this is true.

9 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Private sector incompetence is hardly reported in comparison.

Except, in the majority of cases it usually gets flushed out, one way or the other.

The public sector tends to either ignore it, cover it up, or shuffle the decks and move people around.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Knowing a few who work for them and numerous similar bodies they are full of folks who like to do studies, surveys and reports about what could happen.  Then a while later they do more studies and conclude that the first idea is not feasible and come up with something else.

Just wish I could get onto the payroll of one of these bodies as they seem to have employees travelling here there and everywhere.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

On 10/10/2023 at 21:01, Mark Saunders said:

Private sector incompetence is hardly reported in comparison.

'We' did a pretty good job on DJM. Read the FT and similar for reports on like happenings in larger private enterprises.

Private sector incompetence is plentiful, but it results in fairly prompt business failure which cauterises the wound, and reveals where there may be opportunity; part of the creative destruction process of capitalism.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

21 hours ago, AMJ said:

Knowing a few who work for them and numerous similar bodies they are full of folks who like to do studies, surveys and reports about what could happen.  Then a while later they do more studies and conclude that the first idea is not feasible and come up with something else.

Just wish I could get onto the payroll of one of these bodies as they seem to have employees travelling here there and everywhere.

Not railways, but those sorts got everywhere.

Bloke with a smart suit, shiney shoes and a flash car arrives.

He's titled "advisor".

He takes home around 50% more than you do.

He sits and watches you doing your job, occasionally making notes on a clipboard.

Later, he tells you you're not doing it right, could do better.

Him being an "advisor" you naively ask for advice on how to improve.

His response?

"Ah, that's not for me to say, that's for you to find out".

True story.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JeffP said:

Not railways, but those sorts got everywhere.

Bloke with a smart suit, shiney shoes and a flash car arrives.

He's titled "advisor".

He takes home around 50% more than you do.

He sits and watches you doing your job, occasionally making notes on a clipboard.

Later, he tells you you're not doing it right, could do better.

Him being an "advisor" you naively ask for advice on how to improve.

His response?

"Ah, that's not for me to say, that's for you to find out".

True story.

That sounds like Education Inspections! It may be the same all over, but I only have experience of Education, (pre 1987). It was that sort of situation that allowed me to change my life/Careers/ health.

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A big part of the problem is constant kicking of cans down the road to avoid difficult decisions and a complete disconnect between resource and spending plans in many government departments.

Defence is probably the best known example, I used to sit in meetings at Abbey Wood and have to bite my tongue to not say 'you're delusional if you think this is ever going to happen' as they dreamt of grandiose future fleet plans whilst trying to hide from the Type 26 frigate rapidly becoming unaffordable in the numbers needed, the flagship Type 45 destroyer being an embarrassment as the things lurched from breakdown to breakdown and the CVF carrier program being a textbook example of how not to do procurement (in fairness it doesn't look that bad compared to the HS2 debacle).

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Stuff you couldn't make up. Then again if the department that wants more freight on the railways (presumably to be more eco-friendly) is happy for staff to commute by flying then anything is possible.

• Agree 7

On 13/10/2023 at 10:18, billbedford said:

Those who can do. 

Those who can't teach. 

Those who can't teach become advisers  

Total boll*cks and really insulting to teachers.

In general teaching is a completely different skill set and not comparable to other jobs/industries.  

Edited by admiles
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, admiles said:

In general teaching is a completely different skill set and not comparable to other jobs/industries.  

Agree, and sometimes the best at doing it can't teach it for toffee.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

On 14/10/2023 at 15:21, billbedford said:

I found this quote recently which seems to sum things up well:

The two World Wars epitomise this. 

In 1914 the British sent in a very small land force to involve itself in the greatest war in history. They secured their Eastern flank by a masterful piece if diplomacy without recognising that they would need to deal with Japan in the post-War world. They allied themselves with the USA but then proceeded to disregard their harsh experience of ending a war of that nature - remember that the US High Command were veterans of the Reconstruction period and had seen the Civil War as children, in most cases. 

When the likes of Pershing and Patton spoke of "total warfare" they knew what they were talking about. They also knew that it had taken several weeks to actually effect the surrender of the Confederate field forces. 

1945 effectively brought a completely misconceived notion that the Empire could continue. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, admiles said:

Also insulting to me personally as a former Compliance and Assurance Advisor who set up a Self Assurance system that collected data that could be analysed to identify risks that could be escalated to a corporate risk register. That's proper advice.

Edited by 96701
There appears to be a difference between analised and analysed.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Also insulting to me personally as a former Compliance and Assurance Advisor who set up a Self Assurance system that collected data that could be analised to identify risks that could be escalated to a corporate risk register. That's proper advice.

Do you want to read that back....🤣

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, admiles said:

Well said. I wonder if ex Teacher, Tony Wright would agree with Mr Bedford? Somehow I doubt it eh?

All the best,

Phil (ex Primary Teacher)...left in 1986 because I saw the future and that wasn't looking good.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 months later...