Hornby - New tooling - LSWR Warner brake 'new van'

Andy Y

What would be the appropriate transfer set for post 1936 SR markings after a repaint of the milk chocolate to SR dark brown. Who makes such transfers or would I have to piece it together from my HMRS SR goods set.  Oops, I think I have already run out of the small "SR" marking. I did the match for the dark brown using Vallejo Model Color several years ago when building a couple of Cambrian Diagram 1410 vans. Just have to remember what paint it was.

Not sure if Fox Transfers  do the small SR markings.  For people repainting the SR and LSWR brake vans their sets are FRH 4425 SR Freight Vehicle general pack and FRH 4425/2 SR Railway Freight Wagon markings with fully made up tonnages: both at £4.05, FRH 4485 - L&SWR General Freight Pack £6.48. 

They also sell paint.

Please see www.Fox-Transfers.co.uk. Hope the link works.

• Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

The issue of monitor variation is very valid, but the nub of the matter is that in terms of talking to each other, whether it is modellers here on a forum, or manufacturers trying to communicate with a factory, 'r79 g45 b36' provides a far better means for a more informed and objective discussion than "well, it's a sort of mahogany brown".

The HMRS guides, as presented in your link Miss P, also give the CMYK equivalent. For those that are keen enough, this might be a reasonable alternative.

Edit: just purchased!

Edited by truffy

P1030105.JPG.301df7a50528c6ae9f20e257dd1d3ecc.JPG

Final shot. Hornby van sitting on the back cover of "LSWR Stock Book" pub. Kingfisher in 1986.  The 2 covered vans were on the Bluebell. 

Been up in the loft this evening for a bit of running and  think I'll leave the van it as it is, imagine that the paint's faded or something  (or pretend it's on the Bluebell!)

I found the RGB versus other colour codes discussion very  interesting as I spent some time a while ago visiting photographic exhibitions and researching ways to match monitors to printers to match the data in the original file.  In the end I gave up on screen colours as there were just too many factors like room lighting to affect results. Different with professional use maybe, say in magazine production. (Or a model railway factory...)

I did get some good results from my  printer in the end by using a third party ink supplier who provided profile files for different paper types after sending them test prints.  Took a while to get to that point though.

Anyway, I think the little van is a good £22 worth and I shall keep it running, it'll look good behind the LSWR goods wagons I need to get on and  build this year...

As the tail light of an LSWR goods train disappears into the gloom of a January evening, and a signal arm bounces to stop behind it,  I shall say farewell...

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, railroadbill said:

P1030105.JPG.301df7a50528c6ae9f20e257dd1d3ecc.JPG

Final shot. Hornby van sitting on the back cover of "LSWR Stock Book" pub. Kingfisher in 1986.  The 2 covered vans were on the Bluebell. 

Been up in the loft this evening for a bit of running and  think I'll leave the van it as it is, imagine that the paint's faded or something  (or pretend it's on the Bluebell!)

I found the RGB versus other colour codes discussion very  interesting as I spent some time a while ago visiting photographic exhibitions and researching ways to match monitors to printers to match the data in the original file.  In the end I gave up on screen colours as there were just too many factors like room lighting to affect results. Different with professional use maybe, say in magazine production. (Or a model railway factory...)

I did get some good results from my  printer in the end by using a third party ink supplier who provided profile files for different paper types after sending them test prints.  Took a while to get to that point though.

Anyway, I think the little van is a good £22 worth and I shall keep it running, it'll look good behind the LSWR goods wagons I need to get on and  build this year...

As the tail light of an LSWR goods train disappears into the gloom of a January evening, and a signal arm bounces to stop behind it,  I shall say farewell...

I think that this is as good a piece of evidence as any that Hornby havnt "got the colour wrong", but that the colour it is in is within the normal range for the colours for this vehicle. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Preserved ones though. If they went by preserved wagons then many RTR GWR wagons would be light grey as many preserved examples are far too light.

We know the GWR wagon shade and this isn't it.

GWR_wagon_AA20_TOAD_A_68777.jpg

This is though.

GWR_wagon_AA15_TOAD_68684.jpg

Both Geof Sheppard via Wiki

Jason

Have you shown that upper photo (with the guard using the centre 'window' to fit the tail lamp) to Oxford Rail? :D

Martin

:senile:

On page 6 of 'An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons Volume One: LSWR and S & DJR' the authors state that " A glance through the photographs in this book will probably convince the reader that no two wagons looked identical, despite having been painted ostensibly to the same specification."

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MartinTrucks said:

Have you shown that upper photo (with the guard using the centre 'window' to fit the tail lamp) to Oxford Rail? :D

Martin

:senile:

I'm afraid I never paid attention to the OR Brake Van seeing as they got the LNER Cattle Wagon wrong....

So they glazed the hatch? Oh dear. They must have based it on a preserved example which had come from Departmental use.

Jason

6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm afraid I never paid attention to the OR Brake Van seeing as they got the LNER Cattle Wagon wrong....

So they glazed the hatch? Oh dear. They must have based it on a preserved example which had come from Departmental use.

Jason

Precisely! - But that did not stop the muppet from Oxford Rail arguing with me that their 'window' was correct. Perhaps I should have suggested that they manufacture an 'authentic' window box with flowers to attach to it!

:D

Martin

Edited by MartinTrucks
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Preserved ones though. If they went by preserved wagons then many RTR GWR wagons would be light grey as many preserved examples are far too light.

We know the GWR wagon shade and this isn't it.

GWR_wagon_AA20_TOAD_A_68777.jpg

This is though.

GWR_wagon_AA15_TOAD_68684.jpg

Both Geof Sheppard via Wiki

Jason

But I'd bet that, in real railway service, especially if regularly exposed to sea air, the lower Toad would look very much like the upper one by the time it was due for its next repaint.

Same applies to the LSWR vans, though I'm beginning to suspect there might have been more than one brown used at different periods. In the Feb. Railway Modeller, the RoM is Martin Finney's magnificent model of Semley as it was in 1912 with a shot prominently including a (non-Hornby) van in pretty much the exact shade Hornby have used. Mr. Finney doesn't often get that kind of thing wrong. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
See below
  • Agree 2

On 10/01/2020 at 23:26, Anglian said:

The issue with quoting RGB colours as a precise point of reference is these values will vary from monitor to monitor. It also depends on which image of the model you use and how you take your colour sample. Using Photoshop I get a quite different result to you and depending on where on a image I click and what size sample I take gives further variation. For these reasons the only way to accurately reference a colour is to use a known swatch system such as RAL. This is why I'm so amazed that Hornby got the wrong colour as they should have sent colour references backed up by swatches to the factory. I'm not sure how they work but I'd have assumed they would have been supplied with pre-production samples to sign-off.

I well remember a client of ours requesting some items in a particular BS blue shade : the factory could only produce in RAL colours so we compared colour swatches and found a pretty close match and 'phoned her back to say so. Unfortunately she wasn't totally convinced so I suggested we faxed the colour charts through so she could compare herself ......... and the poor girl fell for it !

• Funny 2

5 hours ago, trevor7598 said:

Arrived at the weekend - Very nice.

P1400111.JPG

It's a lovely model. I painted the buffer heads and wheel centres in weathered black and changed out the long Hornby couplings on mine.

If I was in a bitchy mood, I would say that there was little Hornby could have done to mess up the BR grey livery! :) 

Regards,

Martin

• Funny 2

11 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Very appropriate name for your article and good to see you've spoken to Hornby about the LSWR/SR colour too :)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Graham, you mention on your blog that you have spoken to Hornby about the colour - have you had a reply?

It’s been noted and passed on (via a different route than I took after I first saw the initial livery samples last October)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, ullypug said:

I have repainted mine. Full details on my blog. Click on this bit.

Excuse the thumb!

Mine has just recently landed on my bench, I'm struggling to get the glazing out, did you find there was any trick to it, or was it just brute force and something sharp?

And for those in the know, should the SR one have a brown solebar?

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 1