RMweb

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

It says a lot for the reliability of modern car technology - so often Monaco was a race of attrition, despite many more cars entering/starting the race (two different things then).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Looks like a couple of VERY late nights coming up for me at the weekend.

10.50 pm Saturday Qualifying.

11.00 pm Sunday Race.

:good:

Catch up TV is your friend.

News bulletins are your enemy.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

10.50 pm Saturday Qualifying.

11.00 pm Sunday Race.

:good:

Horlicks.....is your friend. Actually, I wish there were more this late. I would not then have to negotiate with the current Mrs Storey as to viewing entitlements, as she is usually fast asleep by then. But, as time goes on, so often am I..... strong coffee is perhaps our friend instead. Catch up TV on Channel 4 is something much harder to get now outside the UK, unless one takes advantage of one of the slightly dodgy ways around it.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Horlicks.....is your friend. Actually, I wish there were more this late. I would not then have to negotiate with the current Mrs Storey as to viewing entitlements, as she is usually fast asleep by then. But, as time goes on, so often am I..... strong coffee is perhaps our friend instead. Catch up TV on Channel 4 is something much harder to get now outside the UK, unless one takes advantage of one of the slightly dodgy ways around it.

By "slightly dodgy ways", I believe you are referring to modern commercial practises.

Interesting article on Autosport's online magazine, comparing F1 and MotoGP's differing approach to rule stability and its impact on close racing and the opportunities for the different teams to compete effectively.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew P said:

11 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Horlicks.....is your friend. Actually, I wish there were more this late. I would not then have to negotiate with the current Mrs Storey as to viewing entitlements...

Doesn't everyone use hard disc recorders and the like? These have transformed our viewatory entertainment. I doubt we watch 1% of what goes out live. And you may blast through adverts, trailers, padding, introductory blah; and accelerate  s l o w  c o m m u n I c a t o r s to normative brain speed. A one hour programme slot with decent content is typically all done in 35 minutes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Doesn't everyone use hard disc recorders and the like? These have transformed our viewatory entertainment. I doubt we watch 1% of what goes out live. And you may blast through adverts, trailers, padding, introductory blah; and accelerate  s l o w  c o m m u n I c a t o r s to normative brain speed. A one hour programme slot with decent content is typically all done in 35 minutes.

Haha, in a word, NO, we have only just got used to colour:man_in_love_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Yes, of course, but you try avoiding hearing/seeing the result until Monday evening LOL

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Yes, of course, but you try avoiding hearing/seeing the result until Monday evening LOL

It's quite helpful approaching life in the manner of a Trappist monk (other disciplines are available).

And also, result, schmesult, it is devoid of insight. It's the how and why that fascinates.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Doesn't everyone use hard disc recorders and the like? 

No. We used to try to record stuff to watch in our own time, but gave up long ago, when we realised most of it was just never watched in the end. We either watch things when they are on, or miss them and wait for repeats, and probably miss them. Of course, i-player and similar has made catching up easier, but I can count on one hand the times when I have bothered in the last few years.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Due to the limited appeal of the highlight format and limited coverage around it (e.g  nothing from the pen etc.) this year I have watched every race on catch up when I can be bothered rather than trying to catch it up live.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

No. We used to try to record stuff to watch in our own time, but gave up long ago, when we realised most of it was just never watched in the end. We either watch things when they are on, or miss them and wait for repeats, and probably miss them. Of course, i-player and similar has made catching up easier, but I can count on one hand the times when I have bothered in the last few years.

I used to have a Record Player, would that have worked?:laugh:

• Funny 5

On 06/06/2019 at 13:08, Shed said:

just listen to the race on Radio 5 and then decided if it's worth watching the so called highlights

This is what I do .Radio always needs the assistance of your imagination which  is much better than the real thing.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Some will be hoping it's less predictable than FP1.

And indeed it was. Lewis had a crash on soft tyres, having creamed it in FP1 on Mediums. So a Red Team 1/2. Even McLaren came 4th.

Not sure this is indicative of the race, but who knows?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Not sure this is indicative of the race, but who knows?

Oh come on! Surely no one actually believes the the practice sessions count for anything?!!

27 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Oh come on! Surely no one actually believes the the practice sessions count for anything?!!

A bit like Mercedes regular pre season protestations that the other teams have caught up etc etc....which invariably turn out to be utter cobblers. 

• Like 1