The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

• RMweb Gold

The best drivers can take a very slightly inferior car and beat someone with a better machine as Lewis proved last year but there was still a fair amount of luck. If Valterri has been on the hunt in the style of this year he may have gobbled up those few essential points and handed the drivers championship to Ferrari. Vettel lost it last year because Mercedes were more consistent and he still doesn’t seem to have got his head round the pressure errors as any other team would be slightly favouring Leclerc by now.  

Less aero and tougher tyres so drivers can drive to the limit of grip is better to watch than all this managing tyres. They are the elite racing so it should be constant push not save your tyres and turn the engine down. The penalties for engine changes etc at least push them to the back to get a bit of excitement as they fight up the field and DRS allows equally matched power to still get a chance. 

It’s far more interesting watching the pack than the front which is just a procession when someone gets away. 

• Like 2

On 01/05/2019 at 18:58, micklner said:

When I said modern era I actually meant the last 30 years or so.

Passing the milestone of a thousand grands prices recently inclined me towards treating the “modern era” as anything after the commencement of the Formula 1 World Championship in 1950.

Restricting the definition to a mere thirty years, does indeed simplify the choice, leaving Senna the only candidate.

(I’d insert a tongue-in-cheek emoticon thingy, if I knew which one to choose).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2019 at 17:49, EddieB said:

There's a bit about Vettel in today's Metro, apparently moaning (what's new?) that this season, like the previous four, is boring because of Mercedes' dominance.

How ironic. Clearly forgotten the years when he had the best car for and was always p1ssing off into the distance from pole to take a win.

• Agree 2

Not just boring, but it's the tyres' fault, apparently. To be fair, not their fault, but Ferro not adapting to the new compounds/structure as well as Mercs. So how did they do so well in pre-season testing? Not explained.....

https://www.racefans.net/2019/05/02/vettel-admits-ferrari-are-struggling-more-with-tyres-than-in-previous-years/

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Not just boring, but it's the tyres' fault, apparently. To be fair, not their fault, but Ferro not adapting to the new compounds/structure as well as Mercs. So how did they do so well in pre-season testing? Not explained.....

https://www.racefans.net/2019/05/02/vettel-admits-ferrari-are-struggling-more-with-tyres-than-in-previous-years/

Does Leclerc use different tyres then? haha:notme:

• Funny 5

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

A new home for the Brizilian GP?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48212783

Like many things happening in that country at the moment, this is a little bizarre. Whatever the pros and cons of the move, why on earth would the President of the country be getting involved in this?

Given the travails of the design and construction of other circuits, along with approvals, it is heroic to think this could all be done in under 12 months? It took Silverstone nearly that long to decide how to resurface!!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Like many things happening in that country at the moment, this is a little bizarre. Whatever the pros and cons of the move, why on earth would the President of the country be getting involved in this?

Financial incentive...………..??

(TIC comment in case the Brazilian Secret Police are watching this thread)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Oops. With the Mercs only 5/1000 of a second apart, but the Reds about half a second down (and Le Clerc ahead again). Not the change we had been led to believe.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/05/10/vettel-final-sector-exposing-ferraris-slow-corner-weakness/

It also looks like McLaren are going to struggle this time, but let's see what happens in the Qualis.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sadly it's becoming painfully apparent that Mercedes sand bagged again as they do each year to give us a glimmer of hope that we might actually see a contest rather than a procession. Their drivers sucking air through their teeth before exclaiming how hard its going to be and then promptly steamrollering the grid from Australia onwards. If they blew everyone away in testing then no one would watch the forgone conclusion that F1 has become and they would just be burning money to pick up a pot every other weekend. To make it worse they want us to pay to watch.

I am only clinging on to see how long it is before the 'respect' between the Mercedes drivers turns sour and it all ends in tears which might liven it up a bit seeing as leclerc isn't allowed to challenge vettel. I am not far taking up knitting with my bellybutton fluff after the last few enthralling races. Sad as I have watched every race of every year since 1980. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Oh the delicious irony. What many despise as the most environmentally damaging sport to relocate to the “home” of the Summit that launched the climate change agenda.

Turn the wicks up, boys!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gareth Collier said:

Has it finished yet? I must have dropped off ;)

I believe overtaking did take place, now and again, but my online live link, complete with Dutch commentary (I don't speak Dutch) was so weak that I watched rather less than half the action. I will watch Channel 4 to see what I missed. 

• Like 1

i listened on BBC radio 5 and thought it was a bit dull.

ive just watched the start of the so called highlights on chan 4 and turned it off as ive seen the interesting bit, the start.

• Like 1

Normal service has been resumed at Mercedes, it would seem. Hammer time!

As someone elsewhere said - wouldn't it be good to see Verstappen up against Hamilton in identical machinery. I can see what he meant - it could be very interesting.

A bit of a bore-fest today after the start, but that's Valencia for you. However, Ferrari's strategy was strange - or were they deliberately hindering LeClerc after his pit stop?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Normal service has been resumed at Mercedes, it would seem. Hammer time!

A bit of a bore-fest today after the start, but that's Valencia for you. However, Ferrari's strategy was strange - or were they deliberately hindering LeClerc after his pit stop?

Shame about Valencia, but the Barcelona race wasn’t that bad...

Fantastic action at the start, Mansell and Senna stuff. Three top drivers managing to emerge from the first corner without contact.

Some good battles further back, including the Haas boys getting tangled.

I’d agree that Vettel was again favoured over the boy LeClerc - despite giving way under team orders before the first pit stop.

I’m struggling with the editing on the C4 highlights - qualifying and race.  One of the qualifying sessions went from seven and a half minutes to go to just a couple of seconds - it takes too long to work out what has changed.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The C4 presentation is rubbish. Why would I want to watch Steve whatever-his-name-is playing tennis against anyone? Why do we need an intro of any sort? Start the (very truncated) programme on the parade lap, and include more track-time, less crap. Anyone who isn't up to speed with who qualified where, or doesn't know everything about F1 in 2019, either hasn't a computer or doesn't care. 

Stop trying to present F1 as an entertainment. It's an anorak sport. 

The there are the awful ad-breaks..... No wonder audience numbers are dropping off the graph.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The C4 presentation is rubbish. Why would I want to watch Steve whatever-his-name-is playing tennis against anyone? Why do we need an intro of any sort? Start the (very truncated) programme on the parade lap, and include more track-time, less crap. Anyone who isn't up to speed with who qualified where, or doesn't know everything about F1 in 2019, either hasn't a computer or doesn't care. 

The there are the awful ad-breaks..... No wonder audience numbers are dropping off the graph.

It's being dumbed down to the level of football ...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

And the “snippet” of upcoming commentary at the start of the adverts is probably the worst idea in sports broadcasting!

Even when C4 has the full thing with 3 hours of content I’d never bother watching all the grid walks, interviews etc. I want racing. 

Not a particularly exciting race today, fantastic start, some great racing but it all fizzled out somewhat. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Ian, I think, (and I may be wrong) but the Sky / C4 deal is that they can only show half the actual racing time, hence the blab front and back end.

But I DO AGREE about the tennis.

The interview at the  end with the new Red Car boss was very telling, short term job me thinks!

• Agree 7