The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

On 27/04/2019 at 20:22, 81C said:

Where was Clothtard today it left us at the mercy of the orange idiot and the equally brainless Edwards screaming his head off again what a farce C4 is. :jester:

More than compensated by Mr Webber imho.

• Agree 2

Well played the Mercedes boys, keeping it clean at both ends of the race - and the team for not imposing orders. Valtteri’s pole lap may have benefitted from position in relation to other cars, but he showed a cool assurance in setting the fastest time. He’s a different driver this season.

Shame to see the boy LeClerc again set back by his team management - well summarised by Mark Webber.

• Agree 5

How long will it take for the MAN AT THE TOP of the boys in Red to realise that Leclerc is faster than Vettel? He is a far better driver all around, and a nicer guy as well, and has shown it in every race so far. Vettel is only 3rd in the Championship because of Team orders and Leclerc's bad luck in Bahrain. 

Even yesterday after messing up in Quali, Leclerc could have had more valuable points than Vettel had the Team done the right thing. It looked like they were using CL to back the Mercs into Vettel, and NOT look after his possible win or Podium.

Edited by Andrew P
add words
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Two wins each, for the Merc Boys, and the Red Team messes up once again.

The expression "flatter to deceive" comes to mind with Ferrari so far this year. Every weekend we see them practice at the front, and every race day they falter. Having started on the mediums, as he had to, Leclerc had to go very deep into the race before being able to don softs. But watching the Mercs haul him in and eat him up is not what racing is about. Bringing him in earlier and risking a second stop - which he had anyway! - would have kept him fighting all race long. His day will come, and his quali error was the root cause of his misery, but the team give the impression they'd have trouble running a bath. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

I'll be honest, i'm struggling to get into this season. Over the last few years we've had a few teams fighting at the top but it feels like we've taken a step back to the days when it was only Merc in the fight and feels rather dull now

• Agree 4

Merc have been very smart this season is my feeling. There's only this and the 2020 season with the current technical format. So no more holding back on power output, the drivers can 'have it all' from now on for the best chance of taking the championship this year, and maybe - it will be a closer run thing - next year.

Good to see Bottas is now fully at home in his car. So now the maths. After how many Merc 1-2 finishes equally shared between the Merc drivers does the competition for driver's championship become an 'only Merc' event? That could be as late as race 16, although on present form Ferrari could easily bring that down to 12 by allowing Verstappen and Gasly to take enough of their designated third and fourth spots. So then we can have at least five races to the end of the 2019 season in which it is no holds barred at Merc.. Because even if both their drivers crash out in every race as a result of neither blinking, Merc still have the contructor's title and one of their driver's the championship. That'll be fun.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't realised until I read it this morning that getting 1-2s in the first four races is unprecedented in F1 history, i.e. 1001 races. Whatever the yawn factor this induces, it is quite something, especially as we seem to agree the red team threw race wins away, rather than the silver team being truly dominant. 

Since Ferrari were so good at the Barcelona test, the sport must hope they find their touch again in the next race. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Lerclerc should have won one race, but for poor reliability, it's prototype racing things like that happen. But Ferrari have cost him far more points than that by trying to maximise Vettel's points. I strongly suspect that they kept Lerclerc out for far too many laps yesterday in order to slow the Merc's and bring Vettel into them. This cost Leclerc 3rd, and possibly 2nd place. With the poor management at Ferrari this year it's looking like the Driver's Championship is going to be between Bottas and Hamilton.

Edited by GeoffAlan
  • Agree 7

40 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

... we seem to agree the red team threw race wins away, rather than the silver team being truly dominant...

Contra, I would suggest the Ferrari is working well,  but on the evidence so far simply not as quick over full distance under race conditions as the Mercedes. Try to beat Mercedes pace and it breaks - that's a result. And more fun yet, if the Red Bull/Honda improves faster than the Ferrari over the season, Verstappen and Gasly are showing that they can and will use all of that...

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

I only saw the highlights - did anyone see the full race? I don't understand why Norris ended up with two pit stops, when Sainz had only one. Anyone know?

Managed to find out the answer. Might have worked.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/04/29/norris-defends-mclaren-strategy-after-losing-place-to-sainz/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Having just watched recorded C4 highlights, I found the overall format rather disappointing and Steve Jones most annoying as he seemed to regards the various incidents at Baku over the years are what FI racing is all about. EJ likewise annoyed, especially as his former role of ferreting information from around the paddock and adding some value, is seemingly prevented by Sky's restriction of C4's output.

As for the race, it reinforced my view that Baku doesn't provide a venue for interesting racing, the various overtaking opportunities being rather "fake".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To be honest the highlights are enough for me but I did watch several hours of Touring Cars and the three support races. There were some big crashes but it was dealt with appropriately by the commentary team who included drivers and they only played it back once they knew everyone was ok and used it to show just how good the cars cage is. 

Mark Webber said some good stuff about Ferrari and while Steve Jones is a little hyper at times I think he does a pretty good job of injecting some enthusiasm into it when it’s got this processional. I felt he was hyping up the much needed unpredictability rather than glorying in the crashes. 

I know many don’t like the idea of reverse grids etc but it’s working in Touring cars and the drivers seem to enjoy it too as it mixes it up, unfortunately the single race means it won’t work so well in F1 unless they maybe randomly scattered three or four throughout the year and announced it after qualifying. 

Bit of a sod if you’ve done your one good qualifier ;)  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mike Storey said:

Nice to see the new drivers thinking with their heads like that, we at least seem to have got a good new input of talent even if their machinery isn’t quite up to podiums. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I too found the race somewhat boring. Although I do think that has something to do with the highlights. I'd used to enjoy watching the gaps change as Drivers push to catch each other. That's sadly lost somewhat in the highlights as they jump suddenly.

Doesn't help that I spent most of Sat and Sun afternoon watching Rally Argentina where time is key!

Itv4 wasn’t playing yesterday.

kept losing sound and the picture was all pixelated almost like the signal was really bad so didn’t see much of it

other channels seemed ok so don’t know what it was

f1 was dull in comparison and don’t like the new channel 4 package 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, micklner said:

Vettel is impressed.

. . .

Sadly it was almost as bad when Red Bull won for consecutive 4 years , 

Yeah slightly ironic from Seb! Talking of Seb’s the WRC is seeing the same with Ogier wining the last six years and Loeb the 9 before that! Somehow that still manages to be more exciting than F1. 

• Like 2

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:39, PaulRhB said:

...I know many don’t like the idea of reverse grids etc but it’s working in Touring cars and the drivers seem to enjoy it too as it mixes it up, unfortunately the single race means it won’t work so well in F1 unless they maybe randomly scattered three or four throughout the year and announced it after qualifying. 

Bit of a sod if you’ve done your one good qualifier ;)  

You are overthinking it. The reverse grid randomiser can happen on the podium at the end of the race. The winner gets to throw a die and if it comes up six or whatever, then the next race is reverse grid. "Doh! I start at the back!" No need for qualifying sessions at that race, just free practise.

Commercially a dud, no qualifying sessions for which to charge admittance, and impossible to introduce this season anyway. A somewhat better plan might be all reverse gridding of the finishers. ( DNF's necessarily start from behind the previous race finishers reverse grid, or there is potentially a very simple abuse for the most competitive teams to exploit.)

But it is all as nothing compared to the far more desireable removal of aero downforce, and stipulation of  'mechanical grip only' in the format.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Like you note though announcing before qualifying doesn’t work ;) 

I’d think a standard front and back wing would be better than no downforce otherwise it’s no different to lower formula, people watch it for the speed. 

Maybe sprinklers on random corners at random times :laugh_mini:

• Like 1