Spring 2019 BRM

Howard Smith

• Moderators

Welcome readers of RMweb to the Spring issue of BRM - on sale from midnight today as a digital edition or available to pick up in stores from February 28. Packed with extra content in the digital edition, this issue is sure to please fans of standard gauge, narrow gauge, modern image and steam traction. Get yours from www.pocketmags.com/BRM

EXCLUSIVE TO THE DIGITAL EDITION

- Free issue of Narrow Gauge World magazine (March-April 2019)

- 38 extra layout images

2031691435_3DPrinting.jpg.6ed2db426655d086da59c80a4bf3d65a.jpg

1058504426_EalingRoad.jpg.4591038979f0af3f838dc3287b705b5d.jpg

1625493420_HeybridgeWharf.jpg.fb7b6c4c5c1f177d7dfec63cf550a5e7.jpg

783583770_PhilsDoncasterVideo.jpg.f4aaed2003136385124b12fda87c8518.jpg

Wickwar.jpg.d4ba6aa26d95ae61194ea4c43abbdfe4.jpg

- 83 minutes of quality video on model railways and practical modelling projects

FOUR GREAT MODEL RAILWAYS

- Wickwar (N). Researching in great detail this former station on the main line from Bristol to Birmingham led to this magnificent creation by Farnham and District Model Railway Club.

38930172_p24-35_LayoutWickwarHSTW.jpg.cd39a5e7eef22984ad3e9fe9650403e3.jpg

- Ealing Road (OO). The team captain of ‘Missenden Modellers’ from Channel 5’s Great Model Railway Challenge, recalls the efforts made during the filming of the programme.

820995530_p48_LAYOUT_EalingRoadHSTW.jpg.b77f12bd92c6dfde2965812b891f5119.jpg

- Heybridge Wharf (3mmFS). If you've an interest in light railways, you'll love this tribute to the lines skirting the coast of East Anglia.

476998099_p76_LAYOUTHeybridgeWharfTW.jpg.977c46b0905bc3e7867da530107b4d5c.jpg

- Waltham Wharf (16mm). What happens when you model in a large scale, but haven't the space? Steve Bell found a solution in this ultra-compact layout.  

342641821_p86_LAYOUTWalthamWharfHSSCCHANGEPIC.jpg.4b6c9dca2f3ca7d9ad99d6bed76c5937.jpg

BRM

- How to create a Spring scene. Modelling the seasons is made easier with these simple techniques, starting with Spring - it's the Spring issue of BRM, after all...

eight.jpg.edfc4e001f5fb1def5dbcbd3e448688a.jpg

- The Billy Bookcase Layouts: Part 1. Our new series of project layouts is introduced. Their commonality? They all reside in a bookcase!

106777017_p44-46_practicalInglenookHSTW.jpg.3808ecb2237325fd88f10635e4bffcae.jpg

- How to upcycle your wagons. Looking to upgrade your old RTR wagons and given them a new lease of life? We show you how...

IMG_7354.JPG.cee6272d3cfd15ebab1ae61df068b2c1.JPG

- How to model... Heckington Station Building. This Prototype Models card kit available from Freestone Model Accessories is a great way to progress your modelling techniques.

LEAD.jpg.8d6e1034cfe15c61b3eca982befff529.jpg

- 3D-print at home. Part two of Phil's adventures in 3D printing concludes with a selection of useful modelling projects.

Main1.jpg.077b5f742143402ac14befde65eafe89.jpg

PLUS...

- Layout Planning: Machynlleth DMU Depot. Why settle for a standard MPD when you can stand out from the crowd? Plan and 3D illustration inside...

Machynlleth_B.jpg.e8ded99401adcfc797aae5742c37e5f4.jpg

- Prototype Inspiration: Colas Class 67s. Looking for formations to run behind Hornby's latest livery on its Class 67? We have a few ideas...

2062493296_67023CossingtonBillAtkinson.jpg.5e51360b7a1a86f3c32d753664b20225.jpg

- Show Preview: London Festival of Railway Modelling - we highlight our favourite layouts to appear at this year's show on March 23 and 24.

- Tail Lamp: Bachmann's David Haarhaus seeks industry-wide collaboration to increase new entrants to our hobby.

PRODUCTS

- New Products

- BMRA Results

- New Books

- Review: Heljan O gauge 43XX

Get yours from www.pocketmags.com/BRM Happy reading, watching and commenting below!

Howard

• Like 1

• Moderators

And in this episode of BRM TV...

BRM_DVD_Jacket_Spring.jpg.fe605184253bed757074289b9c221ab9.jpg

• 'Wickwar' - an N gauge layout from this issue of the magazine.
  • Waltham Wharf - a 16mm gauge layout, also from this issue.
  • Behind the scenes at Great Eastern Models' DCC demonstration day.
  • EXTRAS: A look at live locomotives in action at the London Model Engineering Show.

• RMweb Gold

A good issue all round with some very interesting stuff in it.  Coincidentally I have today been looking at ealing Road which was at Risex and which stands up rather well as a 'railway within a diorama' style layout with the fascinating perspective modelling of the terraced rows - definitely a layout worth seeing.  'Tail Lamp' was also very interesting and thought provoking - something all the Bachmann knockers on RMweb need to read apart from the core meassage in there about getting newcomers interested in our hobby, sits rather nicely in the same issue as Ealing Road.

And I see the 'Editorial Commune' is still at work:sungum:  As a reader I have to say the idea, however it came about, works rather well and presumably (hopefully) it will be  continuing (until the Commune demands more money for the extra duties they are undertaking?).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

On 23/02/2019 at 22:58, The Stationmaster said:

'Tail Lamp' was also very interesting and thought provoking - something all the Bachmann knockers on RMweb need to read apart from the core meassage in there about getting newcomers interested in our hobby,

This piece rewards careful study, Mike.  Well put.

• RMweb Gold

Last night I tested out the ability of the new bedroom TV to receive "cast" video from my phone, worked great, opened vid in Youtube then cast to the TV. Sound seemed a bit quiet and muffled in places, not sure if it was the casting or an issue with the original recording. I kept wanting to shout "speak up Howard!"

• Moderators
17 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Last night I tested out the ability of the new bedroom TV to receive "cast" video from my phone, worked great, opened vid in Youtube then cast to the TV. Sound seemed a bit quiet and muffled in places, not sure if it was the casting or an issue with the original recording. I kept wanting to shout "speak up Howard!"

Yes, the volume can be 'up and down' at times - something I regularly raise with the guys...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/02/2019 at 23:06, The Fatadder said:

I just tried clicking on the link to the competition but it comes up with a page saying “this is a branded short domain you might be here by mistake”

I get that every single time with those 'bitly' links, irrespective of Browser, OS or hardware I'm using. Jolly confusing and I don't understand their purpose. Still taken out a sub. to BRM mind you, having recently returned to this toy train lark and bought a few of each mainstream title.

• Moderators
20 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

I get that every single time with those 'bitly' links, irrespective of Browser, OS or hardware I'm using. Jolly confusing and I don't understand their purpose. Still taken out a sub. to BRM mind you, having recently returned to this toy train lark and bought a few of each mainstream title.

Here's a link to the competition. The purpose of a branded url like those we use with BRM are to make it easier to type into your browser... brmm.ag/Competition is easier than https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/competitions/win-big-this-month-with-brm

It's great when it works, (which it does, most of the time) but it's prone to throwing a wobbler if lowercase/uppercase isn't respected. We generate the links as the magazine is put together, then try to check all links before it goes to press...  the odd one might slip through, however...

Howard

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Still taken out a sub. to BRM mind you, having recently returned to this toy train lark and bought a few of each mainstream title.

Glad to hear it and welcome onboard. Would you consider writing a few words on what got you back into the hobby, why BRM and what your projects are/might be, please? A PM or email to howards@warnersgroup.co.uk would be appreciated. Feel free to attach a few photographs of your projects, too.

Best,

Howard

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Cornholio said:

The real question is, who has the correct answer, Companies House or Wikipedia?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02065081

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornby_Railways

;-)

Andrew

Would it depend on when filing records became electronic?

On 28/02/2019 at 15:24, Phil Parker said:

Also, what has it to do with BRM? 

As Jason has correctly summised above, I was suggesting that the entry question for this competition is a bit of a cock-up.

The question as written is:

Q. In which year was Hornby Hobbies Ltd. founded?

The factually correct answer to this question is 17 October 1986.

That isn't one of the multiple choice options though, suggesting that whoever set the question either relied upon Wikipedia for their research or meant to ask a different question.

Screenshot_20190301-204021.png.902543101d0971949b91425d9b5aa9ed.png

• Moderators
On 01/03/2019 at 20:41, Cornholio said:

As Jason has correctly summised above, I was suggesting that the entry question for this competition is a bit of a cock-up.

The question as written is:

Q. In which year was Hornby Hobbies Ltd. founded?

The factually correct answer to this question is 17 October 1986.

That isn't one of the multiple choice options though, suggesting that whoever set the question either relied upon Wikipedia for their research or meant to ask a different question.

1986 is the date the company was floated on the stock market, hence isn't in the list of options...

Clue... https://www.Hornby.com/us-en/about

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

From the outset, I'd probably better stress that I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea here - but "ambiguous" questions and answers in competitions are nothing new. They've happened in the past - in loads of places - and I'm sure they'll happen again.

I can remember a multiple choice question in a magazine comp somewhere, in which we were asked what "DB" was short for in relation to German railways. Just to make things easier, 2 correct answers were included amongst the multiple choice options - "Deutsche Bahn" and "Deutsche Bundesbahn". Since I didn't wish to answer this one correctly - and still be deemed to have given the "wrong" answer, I decided that I couldn't be bothered to enter this one. Somehow, I doubt if I was alone in this regard.

I can also remember a question on a celebrity edition of "The Chase" - in which a contestant was asked: "Which war lasted the longest - WW2 - the Korean War - or the Vietnamese War.

In view of the Korean War having been fought in the 1950s - and no formal armistice having been signed - this war is still officially "on", so I can't see any way that the Vietnamese War could possibly be classed as longer. The contestant also took this line - but was eliminated, because the person who set the question saw it differently.

Turning now to the current competition, I haven't entered - yet. However, I must admit that there seem to be some excellent prizes on offer.

I guess I might need to find my registration details ... .

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
I tried to correct an auto-correct!

Just bought this issue the other day at Sainsburys and for once the magazine packaged with it (Narrow Gauge World) was one I hadn't bought!

Apart from my usual moan of pictures across the (im)perfectly bound issue was the feature (which I found useful) on using various garden flower products that surely should have been called an "Advertorial" for Golden Valley Hobbies!

I enjoyed the article on Heybridge Wharf but a few photos giving a wider view would have been welcome. Talking of which, why are fiddle yards in the magazine just shown as blank spaces when they are sometimes they are as important as the public side of the layout?

PS "Upcycling is a word/phrase I find more annoying than train station! - also if I remember correctly Joueff/Playcraft products were made to 3.5mm/1ft scale.

Edited by flyingsignalman
quick review showed a couple of words I'd omitted!

• RMweb Premium

By curious coincidence my Mother the other day dropped off some boxes of model railway bits and bobs that I had left behind some twenty years ago now.

Amongst the wreckage most of which was quickly Ebayed as spares or repairs was one of those Playcraft open wagons. 

I think I might see what I can do with it having seen the article!

20190306_131631.jpg