DEMU Showcase 2019

lyneux

19 minutes ago, YesTor said:

Not very accessible at all by the sounds of it.  So potentially up to an additional 2 hours travelling time (outward + return) on top of the rail journey to Burton.  Not great.

Where are you travelling from?  Devon by your userid?

Easy - just a bit more (earlier) planning for an extra 6 miles  - Bretby Conference Centre was do able a few years back.

Like Clive says what would you rather have? cancellation of arguably the years best exhibition.

Ian

1 hour ago, YesTor said:

Not very accessible at all by the sounds of it.  So potentially up to an additional 2 hours travelling time (outward + return) on top of the rail journey to Burton.  Not great.

Looks like the ExpoEM North issue with Partington arising for DEMU - no good site particularly near a train station.

Six miles in a Taxi might be preferable to the bus but it will cost more.

As Clive has indicated, this wasn't the DEMU's first choice but a rather forced decision at short notice.  

Obviously if this site seriously impacts members then I am sure they will look elsewhere for 2020 - maybe Derby is an option although cost has to be factored in.

Edited by woodenhead
correcting name of exhibition
  • Agree 1

On 26/02/2019 at 17:22, woodenhead said:

Looks like the Finescale North issue arising for DEMU - no good site particulary near a train station.

Six miles in a Taxi might be preferable to the bus but it will cost more.

As Clive has indicated, this wasn't the DEMU's first choice but a rather forced decision at short notice.  

Obviously if this site seriously impacts members then I am sure they will look elsewhere for 2020 - maybe Derby is an option although cost has to be factored in.

Burton Town Hall was - but that had "issues" - too warm -   too dark -  too cramped......

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Agree 2

Good on you!

I've got a great deal of sympathy here with you Clive, having been in a similar position with another council, who could'nt even confirm a booking for next September at a venue previously used. That was in October last year, and they said 'We'll keep in touch....'. We were fortunately in a position that we were able to have a plan A and a plan B though! 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Burton Town Hall was - but that had "issues" - too warm -   too dark -  too cramped - the list goes on.

Hard work at times.

I kinda like the Roundhouse in Derby, no reason why there can't be two model railway exhibitions there in a year but cost might hit a smaller show like DEMU unless with all the big Heljan box stuff out there now they do something with with GOG.

If I do go this year (Mojo jury still out) I will drive, I can avoid my nemesis the M6 as well.  These days I do prefer to go by train but I appreciate it's not always possible to put an exhibition right next door to a busy railway station.

Anyway, the list of exhibits looks good

• Agree 1

Apologies, I've just seen some of the comments on here since posting up the announcement on Saturday. It's great to know that people care so passionately about Showcase! We've got some fantastic layouts booked for this year and we really didn't want to cancel the show.

As Clive has already said, holding the show in Swadlincote was not our first choice, but given that the Meadowside cancelled on us in January, it was very hard to find a local venue at short notice (bearing in mind that many people attending have already booked hotels). The Town Hall was booked for a wedding on the Saturday and no longer offers us the amount of space that we need and moving to a venue more than a short distance from Burton was not an option. The options were to downscale dramatically or move the short distance to Swadlincote... this was a no-brainer for the organising team.

Regarding parking, we'll have to see how we get on. As others have said, parking at Burton Town Hall became extremely reduced in recent years so it should be no worse than that. The fact is that the organising team, exhibitors and traders as well as weekend visitors will likely all be staying in accommodation in Burton as there is next to none available in Swad. This will likely mean travelling the short distance from Burton by car each day. In this case we encourage people to ride share as much as possible.

Sadly, the Routemaster that we used previously in 2015 (from Midland Classic) is also booked for the Saturday, but we are considering putting it on on the Sunday (subject to arrangements). This should help to mitigate the poor public transport options for the Sunday (rail replacement buses notwithstanding!).

For 2020... we are still looking for venues. If Green Bank works out well for us, then we could hold the show there again, however, there are several options on the table at the moment (all midlands-based).

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Most Car Parks in Swad are FREE, except the one behind Pound Stretcher.

In addition to the Leisure Centre Car Park, there is a Car Parking behind the Bus Depot next door, at the bottom of Darklands Road opposite Sainsburys Roundabout and the Centre, just up Alexandra Road, behind Sharps Pottery, about 200 yrds by foot, plus other Street Parking locally, NO WORSE THAN MOST SHOWS.

I know of very few Shows with a Train Station next door, (although Swad did have one until that nice Mr Beeching came along).

Enjoy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Most Car Parks in Swad are FREE, except the one behind Pound Stretcher.

In addition to the Leisure Centre Car Park, there is a Car Parking behind the Bus Depot next door, at the bottom of Darklands Road opposite Sainsburys Roundabout and the Centre, just up Alexandra Road, behind Sharps Pottery, about 200 yrds by foot, plus other Street Parking locally, NO WORSE THAN MOST SHOWS.

I know of very few Shows with a Train Station next door, (although Swad did have one until that nice Mr Beeching came along).

Enjoy.

Are you local to the area by any chance Andy? lol

Yes  - we were spoilt for the Town Hall visible from BR BonT - York is always a decent trudge from the Knavesmire - Glasgow SEC nowhere near the City centre  - Kendal MR a picturesque 2 miles from Oxenholme  -  Stafford Railex is 3 miles from the Station but the Heritage bus service was excellent - My local exhibition Preston this weekend is 3 miles on the outskirts involving maybe 2 buses.

Enough of this good  sensible helpful transport information and parking nonsense - whats the Gresley Wetherspoons  round the corner like? ;) 

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Maybe not next door but there are plenty of shows with excellent rail access (say, maximum of 15-20 minutes walk from a station with a good train service). Such shows. both large and small, which I have attended in the last 12 months include Glasgow, Swindon, Cathcart, Derby, Perth, Ayr, Wigan, Johnstone, Irvine, Warley, and of course DEMU at Burton last year !

Clive and Guy have explained very well the difficult situation they were put in and it is to their credit (and of course all the others involved) that the show is going ahead again this year. Unfortunately I will not make it, partly due to the transport issues, but I wish it every success.

40 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Maybe not next door but there are plenty of shows with excellent rail access (say, maximum of 15-20 minutes walk from a station with a good train service). Such shows. both large and small, which I have attended in the last 12 months include Glasgow, Swindon, Cathcart, Derby, Perth, Ayr, Wigan, Johnstone, Irvine, Warley, and of course DEMU at Burton last year !

Clive and Guy have explained very well the difficult situation they were put in and it is to their credit (and of course all the others involved) that the show is going ahead again this year. Unfortunately I will not make it, partly due to the transport issues, but I wish it every success.

Odd  - how you've logged and negotiated all the BR? Logistics of these shows and your not attending?!

Having worked in the rail industry I do have the huge advantage of free travel on National Rail, and (as a result) I do not have any difficulty working how and when to get to places by rail. Local bus services however, from a place I have only been to once to another place I have never been to at all, are another matter !

• 2 weeks later...

I am pleased to announce that we will have a vintage Routemaster running from Burton station to Greenbank Leisure Centre on the Sunday (when there is a reduced public service).

The special service will be more or less hourly, but please check the timetable on the Showcase website for further details as the timings are designed to coincide with the show opening times.

Guy

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/02/2019 at 16:39, YesTor said:

Have to say I agree. Burton is quite a hike for us, another nigh on 2 hours additional travelling makes it a no go I'm afraid. 

Edited by blueeighties

• RMweb Gold

I am not willie waving or trying to denigrate anyone else on this thread, bit if I can get from southern Spain for the weekend it can't be too difficult to get to Swad from within the British Isles.

Some people obviously don't want to go to the exhibition enough, it's got to be worth a visit for Hornsey Broadway if nothing else.

Mike.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The buses from Burton to Swadlicote take about 30 minutes. If going by car coming from the east it is 15 mins shorter journey and sadly from the west a few minutes more, depending on what route you take.

No matter where Showcase was to be held it would be in the wrong place for someone.

I will suggest to the exhibition committee that they hold it in the community centre in Soloby next year, a five minute walk for me. Sadly not suitable for those who use public transport, the last train was in 1960 and we only have buses on a Wednesday and Friday.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

24 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I will suggest to the exhibition committee that they hold it in the community centre in Soloby next year, a five minute walk for me. Sadly not suitable for those who use public transport, the last train was in 1960 and we only have buses on a Wednesday and Friday.

Only if the DCC test track at Castle Morti is operational

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The 7mm Narrow Gauge Association is another user of the Town Hall and we have similar grumbles from members who don't think Burton is anywhere near the centre of the country - it is however very convenient for our organising group who are all based around Derby/Burton. We have had many suggestions for alternative venues but nobody has been prepared to takeover the work that goes into making the exhibition a reality.

We did many years ago move to Bletchley for one year only with the result that those from the North travelled a bit further whilst those from the South who had done the most complaining still didn't bother to turn up !

You can't please all of the people all of the time . . . . . . . . 

Edited by Mike Bellamy
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 27/02/2019 at 17:32, caradoc said:

Having worked in the rail industry I do have the huge advantage of free travel on National Rail, and (as a result) I do not have any difficulty working how and when to get to places by rail. Local bus services however, from a place I have only been to once to another place I have never been to at all, are another matter !

Presumably https://www.traveline.info/ would help anyone needing to explore travel options.

• RMweb Gold

Trying to put a positive edge to this discussion,Swadlincote has easy access by road ( 15/20 minutes from M42/A42) so In fact better than Burton-On-Trent if using your own vehicle.Sainsbury’s car park has a 3 hour limit and has an excellent hand car wash while you wait btw.Direct bus services ( if there are any ) from Burton station to Swadlincote bus station are infrequent.Most depart from New Street/Market Place which is a 10/15 minute walk.

On 11/03/2019 at 11:01, lyneux said:

I am pleased to announce that we will have a vintage Routemaster running from Burton station to Greenbank Leisure Centre on the Sunday (when there is a reduced public service).

The special service will be more or less hourly, but please check the timetable on the Showcase website for further details as the timings are designed to coincide with the show opening times.

Guy

Is it an AEC engined Routemaster, if not im not coming as its the wrong sound, its too far for me, the sun is not shining, it maybe raining, its not going to snow, i cant find Greenbank on a map, i dont have a passport to enter Derbyshire, cant walk more than 200 yds from a car park, the catering will be crap,

As has been said, this is the best place we could find at short notice, if we didnt use this venue there would have been no Showcase this year, im more than happy to meet all the moaners at the AGM on Saturday night where im sure Guy, George, Tom and i woud be very very happy to hand over the reigns of organising this show to all the experts out there, because it it so easy...............................................................

Edited by Nobby (John)
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Trying to put a positive edge to this discussion,Swadlincote has easy access by road ( 15/20 minutes from M42/A42) so In fact better than Burton-On-Trent if using your own vehicle.Sainsbury’s car park has a 3 hour limit and has an excellent hand car wash while you wait btw.Direct bus services ( if there are any ) from Burton station to Swadlincote bus station are infrequent.Most depart from New Street/Market Place which is a 10/15 minute walk.

There is of course another way that has just occurred to me....having just done a shop at the very Sainsbury’s . That is to use Burton’s efficient and reasonably priced taxi service from the station to Greenbank Leisure Centre.An attractive proposition particularly if you are travelling with friends but best in any case if using the train.

• Like 1