Bachmann 009 Quarry Hunslet

Phil Parker

• RMweb Premium
On 11/11/2022 at 21:10, Butler Henderson said:

The arrival at Barwell of the models of Britomart has meant it is completely missed in Bachmanns quartely annoucements; having not been listed in the previous quarter neither is it listed for the coming quarter. No doubt in years to come questions will arise over when it was released.

It was announced several years ago so it’s not a new announcement and therefore would not be a part of the quarterly announcement of new products regardless of when it arrived

13 hours ago, romley midland said:

It was announced several years ago so it’s not a new announcement and therefore would not be a part of the quarterly announcement of new products regardless of when it arrived

True but the printed brochure has a list of all the peviously announced models that are being released and the current ones lists all of the Quarry Hunslets bar Britomart, along with the RNAD wagons.

• RMweb Gold
On 11/11/2022 at 09:16, Butler Henderson said:

The decoder is a Zimo one - MX616N  which subject to availability is cheaper - £34 quoted by Coastal DCC

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/zimo/mx616n

This is a good option, but it doesn't have the f2 brake option which I personally prefer having got used to it to on the sound fitted models.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, didcot said:

Daft question, but is there an equivalent or near to the Zimo MX616N?

As mentioned above there is the Bachmann 36-571 which is a rebadged version but more expensive although I found one for £38 at Tennents. 
Several of their locos have been designed around Zimo decoders because of their small options. You’ll probably find others that will fit in the cabbed versions with a wired socket but I’m not aware of a current direct replacement for the open cab locos. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CotBob said:

This is a good option, but it doesn't have the f2 brake option which I personally prefer having got used to it to on the sound fitted models.

I could be wrong but I'm not sure that's correct.

On the ZIMO website, the MX616 family is included in the list (as are the majority of ZIMO decoder families)  which support firmware capable of operating the manual braking feature, though it may not (most likely will not) be enabled by default.

To add manual brakes to most ZIMO decoders, CV309 = X (where X is the F key you wish to use for the manual brake, in the case of F key 2,  X = 2)

To set brake force CV349 = Y (where Y represents the force desired, values of 5 - 10 being useful starting points).

To see the effect, however, the momentum  or deceleration value (in CV4) needs to be high, in the region of, say, 80 -120)

Best regards,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, willjam39 said:

Wonder when the first will be sent out (if not already in the wild)

if you on about the loco rather than the zimo chip then the ebay link i put further up had a photo of the actual model rather than a stock photo so they must be out in the wild somewhere!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

I could be wrong but I'm not sure that's correct.

On the ZIMO website, the MX616 family is included in the list (as are the majority of ZIMO decoder families)  which support firmware capable of operating the manual braking feature, though it may not (most likely will not) be enabled by default.

To add manual brakes to most ZIMO decoders, CV309 = X (where X is the F key you wish to use for the manual brake, in the case of F key 2,  X = 2)

To set brake force CV349 = Y (where Y represents the force desired, values of 5 - 10 being useful starting points).

To see the effect, however, the momentum  or deceleration value (in CV4) needs to be high, in the region of, say, 80 -120)

Best regards,

Paul

I was not aware of that, it certainly makes the choice a bit broader, if they are a little hard to find just now.  Will also require a little bit of reading to program my Digitrax DCS51 needs so jiggery pokery to program CV's that high.

14 hours ago, CotBob said:

I was not aware of that, it certainly makes the choice a bit broader, if they are a little hard to find just now.  Will also require a little bit of reading to program my Digitrax DCS51 needs so jiggery pokery to program CV's that high.

If your Zephyr has restricted access to high range CVs I suggest that you download and read  the ZIMO small decoder manual. http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX-small-decoders_EN.pdf

You'll find all sorts of useful things you didn't know ZIMO decoders could do. One of them is the way that ZIMO high CV numbers can be accessed by even very lowly equipped DCC systems, or those with acces to only a restricted range of CVs.

Yep, ZIMO have already provided a way in which their decoders can interpret low CV numbers (below CV245 for example) as much higher ones ( CV345 or CV445).

In the version of the manual I linked to above you will find the 'how to' at section 9 on page 70

For your convenience, here's what it says

Special procedures for DCC systems with limited CV range:
Configuration variables #266 to #500 are used for the selection and allocation of sound samples as well as
other settings. Programming CVs in this range is no problem for high-level systems (such as the current ZIMO
DCC systems) both in “service mode” or “operations mode”.
There are however many DCC systems in use (some still in production) that can only access CVs up to #255
or even worse to #127 or CV #99.
For such applications, ZIMO decoders offer an alternative way of reaching higher CVs via lower numbers. This
is done with an initial “Pseudo-Programming” of
CV #7 = 110 or = 120 or = 130
which increases the CV numbers about to be accessed by 100 or 200. For example:
If programming CV #266 = 45 is not possible, programming CV #7 = 110 followed by CV #166 = 45 executes
the desired programming of CV #266 = 45
or
if neither CV #266 = 45 nor CV #166 = 45 is possible, programming CV #7 = 120 followed by CV #66 = 45
also leads to the result of CV #266 = 45.
The initial CV #7 – “Pseudo-Programming” state – remains active for further programming (which means CV
#267 is entered as #167, CV #300 as #200 and so on) until the decoder is powered down. ATTENTION: After
re-booting the system, the “Pseudo-Programming” is lost, that is programming CV #166 is indeed accessing
CV #166 again. See below to prevent this!
The “Pseudo-Programing” can also be stopped without power interruption with
CV #7 = 0
which means that the programming reverts back to the original CV #166.
Using as an initial “Pseudo-Programming”
CV #7 = 210 or 220
achieves the same results as above but remains active even after the system is powered down. This state can
only be cancelled with
CV #7 = 0,
which is important to remember in order to program lower CVs again.

Best regards,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

On 14/11/2022 at 12:13, CotBob said:

Any decoder can have a Brake key. Just program the Shunting function to behave that way. Who uses the shunting function anyway?

50 minutes ago, Tramfabriek said:

Any decoder can have a Brake key. Just program the Shunting function to behave that way. Who uses the shunting function anyway?

Whilst this is partly true, it's by no means 'the whole truth'.

Do all decoders support a shunting function? 

It's worth noting that the outcome when the shunt function is engaged differs between manufacturers. Some only reduce road speed to a half of throttle setting, others only reduce CV4 to zero or low values and fully featured types can affect both simultaneously. So the results will differ depending upon manufacturer.

Whilst it is tue that a crude version of manual braking can be approximated by having a high momentum in CV4 and the shunting function (on those decoders which support this feature) to reduce the speed or momentum, this does not in any realistic way resemble how a brake force slows a loco (or any moving body) in real life. That is, a given brake force will have little retardation immediately, followed by a period of increasingly progressive retardation until maximum effect just prior to stopping.

In the days before I instigated and developed with ZIMO their manual brake simulation (which is progressive - a hyperbolic curve if plotted on a graph) I used to recommend using either ZIMO sunting mode, which can be either speed reduction, momentum reduction or both combined, or 'light engine mode' which was another of my creations which could also cause a retardation effect (by reducing CV4 values). Bearing in mind that all of those features were able to be adjusted and calibrated by users to hone the brake simuation, I knew that a separate manual brake could be modelled to simulate real physical effects more closely.

When introduced, the ZIMO manual brake feature allowed users to have both a realistic braking feature and a highly configurable shunt mode in one decoder. Seems a nonsense to me to restrict users to an 'either/or' choice.

Only one of the reasons why ZIMO decoders are prefered by so many.

Why spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar? Lol

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

Here's couple of chances to get even more exited.

Not my conversion and not my video clips but the sound project is one I created.

Decoder is ZIMO (of course) and for those following the discussion above, it has the progressive acting manual brake function enabled. So it stops as well as it goes.

a little more,

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 9

12 minutes ago, didcot said:

Wow, where is the speaker situated?

In the cab most likely. Very well concealed if it is 😄

EDIT: Think it's in the roof with the stay alive on the rear cabsheet at the bottom. A couple of suitable figures and you'll never know 😉

Edited by LNERandBR